A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
rincon155

Updating Puppy 5.2.8 ver 002 to new 004 ISO

#121 Post by rincon155 »

If I have Puppy 5.2.8 ver 002 and I want to update to 004 ISO, should I simply boot with 004 new CD and accept default options? I don't want to loose customization done so far with my lupusave. Thank you.
Registered Linux User # 54726, LupuLibre and LupuSuper4 5.2.8.6, Precise 5.7.1, LightHouse Mariner 64-6.02-B2

Amgine

Re: Updating Puppy 5.2.8 ver 002 to new 004 ISO

#122 Post by Amgine »

rincon155 wrote:If I have Puppy 5.2.8 ver 002 and I want to update to 004 ISO, should I simply boot with 004 new CD and accept default options? I don't want to loose customization done so far with my lupusave. Thank you.
If anyone else reads this and has the same question.

You can download the .pet

See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855
Instant Update 004 for Lucid 5.2.8: If you have an earlier version of Lucid 5.2.8 you can download and install this Update to bring your version to the 004 specs. This is known as the Sylvander Update because of his great work in solving a prickly problem ->
Fast download -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Insta ... 28-004.pet
Slow download -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... 28-004.pet

rincon155

#123 Post by rincon155 »

Thank you Amgine!
Registered Linux User # 54726, LupuLibre and LupuSuper4 5.2.8.6, Precise 5.7.1, LightHouse Mariner 64-6.02-B2

Semisonic

#124 Post by Semisonic »

Hello guys!

It's my first day using Puppy, and i'm still very new to Linux, so i hope you'll forgive me my stupidity if there appears any =).

Anyway, i'm having trouble performing a full install of Slacko 5.3.1 on VirtualBox. The machine is dedicated to this installation, so no dualbooting or Live CD stuff is required - just the plain old off-the-hard-drive work.

I got the MAIN iso from the website, the md5 checksum matches OK. The booting in a Live CD mode also works fine. So i tried to perform the full install on the vurtual hard drive, created and formatted the partition in ext2, set the boot flags etc - everything's okay.
But! When i'm told to alter the 'menu.lst' file for the GRUB bootloader, i look into the /dev/sda/boot folder and see no file like that - just an empty grub folder and some vmlinuz file. And obviously, this stuff doesn't boot if i leave it this way.

What am i doing wrong? I've been following the installation instructions precisely, but still the setup somehow fails to make the hard drive bootable.
Should i have configured GRUB somehow before i start the installation? Because find / -name '*grub*' shows i have both grub and grub4dos packages within the system. I just don't know what to do with them to make it all work.

So, i'd be happy if anyone could help me with this issue. Thanks!

Old puppy

#125 Post by Old puppy »

Hi guys, I'm a new entry feeling amazed by this community, and I'd like to share with you my desperate, although successful, puppy 5.2.2 installation (old and unskilled being talking).

These were the starting conditions (the reason of that "desperate"):

Toshiba satellite 2180cdt, AMD k6-2 @ 450 Mhz, 64 mb ram, 4gb hd (3 partitions 1-1-2 gb), unworking CD, unworking floppy]. Win98se + finesse23 (a little help for lacking processor's sse instructions)

Now that I'm finally close to change this poor laptop, yesterday I've decided to give a try to the other "half of the sky", linux, mostly beacuse each cent matters here (and to have kept for 13 years the same pc should be a valid witness).

So, here it goes: time ago I successfully tried, in the same conditions, a win2000 installation, removed few days later due to evident machine's troubles in handling such an OS, which left behind a dual boot (boot.ini) config.

Looking @ Wary Puppy 5.2.2 installation guides, I've felt quite lost due to the lack of working CD/floppy units, but I've decided to proceed step by step.

To start off, I've downloaded the Wary 5.2.2 ISO.
Then I've downloaded Virtual Clonedrive 5.4.5.
I've copied the ISO image from the HD to the virtual CD, then extracted all files from there to the HD (D: - 2nd partition)
Downloaded Grub4dos' grldr and menu.lst files to C:\ (just those 2)
Modified the menu.lst file as follows:

title Wary 5.2.2 frugal
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd
initrd /initrd.gz

and added to the boot.ini file (C:\)

C:\grldr="Wary 5.2.2 frugal"

What happened: at boot the Wary 5.2.2 frugal option was there, I've selected it, Grub's screen popped out giving me the only choice "Wary 5.2.2 frugal) and then..

Error 22: cannot find the partition (or something like that)

Using the "set root=(" + tab in Grub, the system told me that the only available partition was (Hd0,0) rd.

After many, and unsuccessful, attempts with the menu-lst file, I've decided to copy, not having the possibility to use even the flopy unit, all Wary files to C:\, setting the menu.lst path as (hd0,0).

Reboot and..
boot.ini option => Grub option => puppy 5.2.2 started
When, finally I had puppy desktop, I've seen that he had recognised the HD partitions, so I've decided to try to install Wary directly from the desktop ("install").

I've not allowed Grub instalaltion, preferring to manually change the menu.lst file according to the infos of the installation process (just copy paste)

title Puppy Linux 5.2.2 frugal in sda5 dir wary5.2.2frugal
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
kernel /wary5.2.2frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=wary5.2.2frugal
initrd /wary5.2.2frugal/initrd.gz

and the boot.ini accordingly:

C:\grldr="Puppy Linux 5.2.2 frugal"

The reboot was successful: boot.ini => Grub => Puppy 5.2.2

I feel noobish while writing all this, but I think that if there is somebody in my same desperate conditions he might feel better.

You've done/are doing an amazing job guys, but the most important thing is that you give hope even to people like me with your efforts.

Thank you from your brand-new friend :)

ICPUG

#126 Post by ICPUG »

welcome Old puppy.

Your skill at navigating through the trauma of getting an installation working bodes well for your future use of linux.

The method you have achieved is what I consider the best when one wants to dual boot with Windows.

Looking at the original menu.lst that failed and the one that worked the significant difference in the rootnoverify command probably tells a story.

In the one that failed it had (hd0,1) and in the one that worked it had (hd0,4).

This would tie up with your PC partitioned as one primary partition (hd0,0) together with 2 logical partitions (hd0,4) and (hd0,5) within the extended partition. As you see, like this there is no (hd0,1) and hence the initial failure. To have an (hd0,1) you need a second primary partition.

You successful installation to (hd0,4) was also in a subdirectory. This is better than being in the root of the partition because you can now experiment with additional Puppy variations by adding them to their own subdirectories without conflict with each other.

Good luck and welcome to the kennels!

bakekoq

installing puppy

#127 Post by bakekoq »

I already make my fd as my boot loader for puppy linux, but I want to make my hard drive as my boot loader so I don't need my fd anymore for loading.
I'm in grubconfig for boot loader. and I'm already reach:
" SELECT GRUB PARTITION". I can't choose my /dev/sda2 and got an error message: "/dev/sda2 is not linux partition". btw, do I need to make something before install it to my harddrive?
or did I skip some steps behind?
I'm using Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2.

Thanks before.

note:
in my sda2, I install puppy to a directory: /dev/sda2/puppyQ
btw, I see Gparted Partition Manager in linux. what's the option so I can boot from my sda2. btw, I changed the "boot" flags to my sda2. my "boot" flags before in my /dev/sda1 so it can't load sda2. hmm.. but,there're an error: "Remove disks or other media. press any key to restart"
My flashdisk is inserted so it show that (maybe). and then, I unplug my flashdisk and get error message:
"Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
and the end, I load puppy from my flashdisk again.

Please help me with this. because it's my first time using linux, and I want to try using linux without another os.
Last edited by bakekoq on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

shinobar

Re: installing puppy

#128 Post by shinobar »

bakekoq wrote:I'm in grubconfig for boot loader.
Use the grub4dosconfig instead.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

bakekoq

#129 Post by bakekoq »

I'm trying to install grub4dos.
I'm in the directory, and follow the install documents inside.
after I'm checking my "./configure"
I can't continue to "make" or "make install". bash: make: command not found. can U help me with this?

shinobar

Re: installing puppy

#130 Post by shinobar »

bakekoq wrote:I'm trying to install grub4dos.
Isn't it in the menu on your Puppy?
bakekoq wrote:I want to try using linux without another os.
Hope next article will also be a help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62476

bakekoq

#131 Post by bakekoq »

shinobar wrote:Isn't it in the menu on your Puppy?
nope. I can't find it in my menu.

btw, I try to install grub4dos, but I can't do it. how do I install it?
I follow the Install documents inside the grub4dos directory.
I follow the simplest way to compile the package and only can do it:
1. ./configure
and it's checking something. and I found:
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

owh..
btw, I already install it not using grub4dos but using grup boot loader normally. I still don't know to install programs or even driver for my pc in linux. do I need somekind of another programs to load my driver from dvd?

note: I still don't connect to any network.

shinobar

#132 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Isn't it in the menu on your Puppy?
bakekoq wrote:nope. I can't find it in my menu.
What Puppy are you using?
Anyway, there is grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.8.0.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

bakekoq

#133 Post by bakekoq »

ah. I have just installed it right now.
and also I already can load my puppy linux from hard drive..

Thanks for the help.
hmm.. the next thing I'll try to install the driver for my laptop. btw, do I need some application to install *.exe file? because, few hours a go I tried and got the message like this:
No run action specified for files of this type (application/x-ms-dos-executable) - you can set a run action by choosing "Set Run Action" from the File menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.
I can't find the Set Run Action from Menu. do I need to install some application first?

btw, how do I install some kind of file *.tar.gz in linux puppy? I still confuse since earlier the command that I used for installing from console?

Thanks a lot for the help.

bakekoq

#134 Post by bakekoq »

btw, I tried to install driver with wine. but, my friend said that it's surely not working. btw, anybody know how to know what kind of hardware is in our laptop from console so I can know what do I need to search for the driver. thanks a lot.

bakekoq

#135 Post by bakekoq »

btw, I tried to install driver with wine. but, my friend said that it's surely not working. btw, anybody know how to know what kind of hardware is in our laptop from console so I can know what do I need to search for the driver. thanks a lot.

edwin.evans

Confused about implications of full versus Frugal

#136 Post by edwin.evans »

I'm confused about the implications of full versus Frugal. I'm installing Puppy on an SD Card and I want file changes to be saved immediately but now it looks like they are saved only once in a while.

Is this because I'm doing the wrong type of install?
Can I do a full install on an SD Card?
What do I need to do to not risk losing changes if the power is killed without any warning?

Thanks!

rcrsn51

Re: Confused about implications of full versus Frugal

#137 Post by rcrsn51 »

edwin.evans wrote:I'm installing Puppy on an SD Card and I want file changes to be saved immediately but now it looks like they are saved only once in a while.
A regular frugal install to a hard drive works in PUPMODE=12. That means that your work is immediately written into the save file.

But devices like flash drives and memory cards work in PUPMODE=13, which only saves periodically. The intent is to minimize writing to the device and extend its life.

However, you can convert your SD setup to PUPMODE=12 using the instructions here.
Can I do a full install on an SD Card?
No. Puppy doesn't allow that option.

edwin.evans

#138 Post by edwin.evans »

Thanks you! That clears things up a lot.

During typical usage, about how long would you expect an SD Card to last if writing to flash immediately?

rcrsn51

#139 Post by rcrsn51 »

edwin.evans wrote:During typical usage, about how long would you expect an SD Card to last if writing to flash immediately?
I have no idea. But one forum member ran a flash drive in PUPMODE=12 for months with no problems.

Pelo

PPM : Do it yourself

#140 Post by Pelo »

In ubuntu repositories from PPM, a lot of dependancies have to be installed.
How can i choose which ones. IF i install all, the package is too big.
You, you know what is necessary.
Thanks for help, sirs.