Getting Arduino run properly on Puppy 5.28 and 5.3 and 5.31

Booting, installing, newbie
tytower

#21 Post by tytower »

Well now I ended up tinkering for another couple of hours and found that all versions of Arduino loaded up OK screenwise . That is 0022 , 0023 and the new Version 1.

However in all cases I got the message when I tried to compile a sketch "Cannot run program "avr-g++""No such file or Directory"

So that's the same problem I have had with all versions on Puppy 5.3
and I would bet it can't find the cross compiler. It is such a huge download and compilation that the "make install" installs it where it can't be found and that is the same with the last 4 releases of gcc.

Their install instructions are complicated in the extreme but I saw that it said unless you know what you are doing just use
./configure
make
make install

without options and it will get it right . Well it does not do so here!

pabloA

#22 Post by pabloA »

However in all cases I got the message when I tried to compile a sketch "Cannot run program "avr-g++""No such file or Directory"
That is the last error i would receive before the gcc-g++ went in.

Suprised by the amount of time your pc takes to unpack the package: yes it is large - but even so should'nt take too long.....
I guess the error could have been a lack of space.
You mentioned you incresed the size to 500mb - did you mean your save file?

Are you trying another process on the extracted files: configure/make etc..I didn't do anything apart from ->

Save the gcc-g++ package locally - outside of any save files. Xarchiver to unpack - "select/extract all" to /usr/bin - done :)

gcc-g++ hash - f78e86e0c4bdb237ea8a7c6d3e90cbb4

tytower

#23 Post by tytower »

Are you trying another process on the extracted files: configure/make etc..I didn't do anything apart from ->

Save the gcc-g++ package locally - outside of any save files. Xarchiver to unpack - "select/extract all" to /usr/bin - done Smile

gcc-g++ hash - f78e86e0c4bdb237ea8a7c6d3e90cbb4
Ehh?
The package I downloaded was the source which required compiling hence the ./configure make make install process
I did not find it available in any other form. Did you?
From what you say you must have . Can you tell me what package you downloaded please and from where?

As I said it took 1/2 hour for the archiver to unpack and display the 82.5 Megabyte source file but that is all I found

however looking at the Arduino site I see this
Requirements

You will need to install some programs to use Arduino under Linux (the way you do this depends on your distribution):

openjdk-6-jre (although sun's java runtime, the sun-java6-jre package, should work too)

avr-gcc (aka "gcc-avr"), version 4.3.2 or later 4.3.x version (4.4.x and 4.5.x seem to have various problems)
Version 4.3.0 has a major bug which affects multiplication of long int's. This is the default version in Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10). Check using "avr-gcc --version" and upgrade if necessary.
Versions prior to 4.3.0 do not support the ATmega328 (which comes on the Arduino Duemilanove). People running distributions like Hardy Heron (Ubuntu) or Etch (Debian) and previous will need to upgrade their version of avr-gcc.

avr-gcc-c++ (Else you will get this error: Cannot run program "avr-g++":j ava.io.IOException:Error=2: No such file or directory)
avr-libc
So I went looking for the avr-gcc-c++ download and found an rpm from Fedora ,/root/Downloads/avr-gcc-c++-4.6.2-1.fc16.i686.rpm, and tried installing this but it still did not fix the problem

I downloaded a cross compiler next
cross-avr-gcc-c++-4.4.3-7mnb2.i586.rpm which I installed as well and I moved past the avr-g++ problem to another one and I am pursuing that atm

Well what a can of worms that turned out to be went after libcloog.so.0 then
libppl-c.so.2 and then
stdlib.h at which point it is obviously very messed up and thats the last full day or full minute I will ever spend on that again

DOES NOT RUN ON 5.3

On to 5.31 ? maybe not Im going to dump it and go back to 5.28

pabloA

#24 Post by pabloA »

Ehh?
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.5.3/

[ X ] gcc-g++-4.5.3.tar.gz 28-Apr-2011 19:36 8.1M
As I said it took 1/2 hour for the archiver to unpack and display the 82.5 Megabyte source file but that is all I found

pabloA

#25 Post by pabloA »

Ok, curiosity got the better of me.

Downloaded & installed slack530.
Made save file, reboot, load Java_jre-6u22-Lucid-sfs4..sfs in boot manager, reboot.
Installed files from my post above:
Arduino IDE up, compiles; No. Missing libmpc.so.2.0

Rebooted with devx_slack_530 (renamed from devx_531) in boot manager.
Arduino IDE up, compiles; Yes.

Opened devx - copied file(s) from /usr/lib and added to /lib folder on my pc. Rebooted without Devx loaded in boot manager.
Arduino up, compiles:Yes
Attachments
desktop_slack530_addfiles.png
(96.8 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

tytower

#26 Post by tytower »

At this point I think you are having a lend of me .
The file you downloaded and extracted to /usr/bin/ is a source file which needs compiling so what you get if you did not compile it is a directory in /usr/bin called "gcc-4.5.3"

Inside that the files are extracted but they are not binaries they are "C" source files , ie they will not be found by the "Path" and will not run until compiled .

No offence meant but I don't think that file is contributing at all. Somehow or other you have a cross compiler loaded .
What is the name of your SFS file?

Have you any other files loaded in respect to this?
Rebooted with devx_slack_530 (renamed from devx_531) in boot manager.
Perhaps this is the answer?
But you say Arduino ran before you loaded this?
Last edited by tytower on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

#27 Post by tytower »

Looks like he's done a runner now or at least gone to ground . Anybody else been able to get a successful install in 5.3 or 5.31?

Anybody else with any background knowledge ?
Was something missing in the devx_slack_5.3 SFS file? and fixed in 5.31 and nobody said anything?

pabloA

#28 Post by pabloA »

Install to 64bit puppy- Lighthouse 64 (B4).

These are the four files I used, in conjuction with Java & Devx both mounted from within boot manager;

1) avr-binutils-2.21-x86_64-2sl.txz
2) avr-gcc-4.5.3-x86_64-1sl.txz
3) avr-libc-1.7.1-x86_64-2sl.txz
4) gcc-g++-4.5.2-x86_64-2.txz

I also had to change the arduino start script with absolute paths ;)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

APPDIR=/opt/arduino

cd $APPDIR

for LIB in \
    java/lib/rt.jar \
    java/lib/tools.jar \
    lib/*.jar \
    ;
do
    CLASSPATH="${CLASSPATH}:/opt/arduino/lib/pde.jar:/opt/arduino/lib/RXTXcomm.jar:/lib/*:/opt/arduino/lib/core.jar:${LIB}"
done
export CLASSPATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export PATH="${APPDIR}/java/bin:${PATH}"

java -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel processing.app.Base

tytower

#29 Post by tytower »

OK thats good info but I'm not running 64 bit.
I see you now choose binary self installing slackware files to do the above
I find it interesting that
2) avr-gcc-4.5.3-x86_64-1sl.txz and
4) gcc-g++-4.5.2-x86_64-2.txz run together but then thats where my problems above come from

What do you have to say about my previous post then ?

pabloA

#30 Post by pabloA »

Ty: The info re 64bit is for any forum browsers - not you :)
What do you have to say about my previous post then?
Do you mean this?
Looks like he's done a runner now or at least gone to ground . Anybody else been able to get a successful install in 5.3 or 5.31?

Anybody else with any background knowledge ?
Was something missing in the devx_slack_5.3 SFS file? and fixed in 5.31 and nobody said anything?
Not much :) - Although I havn't compared them, I wouldn't think there are any differences - have you?

Perhaps you could advise on how are you running puppy - Full HDD install, frugal, other?
Do you start with a 'clean' OS on each attempt?
Are you still having errors whilst blindly following my instructions: Do you ever get the IDE up & compiling?

If you're looking for a concise explaination on how it works, then I do not have that level of experience - My primary goal was to have the Arduino IDE available - which I do :)
There also seems a likelyhood that only part of gcc-g++-4.5.3.tar.gz being needed . On the repos there
are core files and branch files etc so maybe someone in the know might tell us what smaller file to download and compile or remove the compile requirement altogether.
From my haphazzard approach to reasearching this I found that it would be more appropiate to build the AVR toolchain seperate from the system files - This toolchain could, I believe, be built more effectivly using the gcc core & gcc++ et-al as you mentioned.
The 'uncompiled' gcc-g++ files 'somehow' complete the avr toolchain and are picked up when the assembler is called???

The 'hows' & 'whys' are beyond me :)

tytower

Sucess 5.3.1

#31 Post by tytower »

Started with a new install of 5.3.1

Used SFS load to bring in devx-slacko_5.3.1.sfs

Installed
binutils-avr_2.20-2_i386.deb
gcc-avr_4.5.3-2_i386.deb
avr-libc_1.6.7-1ubuntu2_all.deb
gcc-g++-4.5.3.tar.gz ( not sure on the need for this one)

Put java 1.6 version in /opt/java/bin and edited /etc/profile to add it to $PATH (1.7 does not work)

Installed arduino-1.0-linux.tgz

Went to Arduino-1 Dir and edited icon for arduino script , got an icon from /arduino-1/reference/img/logo.png

Then dragged "arduino" script to desktop and rebooted

All going -no background terminal.

tytower

#32 Post by tytower »

Just a note for any older arduino users

Programs you wrote for Arduino earlier versions end in .pde
Now they use .ino (last 3 letters in arduino).Your sketches will be saved as .ino

If you try to run old programs and compile and upload you may get lots of errors.

wiring.h has been dropped and Arduino.h is now used a lot in the libraries WProgram is another that has been changed .

You have to go get the latest versions of the add on libraries you have used in your programming or a lot of it won't recompile.
eg VirtualWire , OneWire, LED and others