Will Puppy run on 32MB Compaq LTE 5300?

Booting, installing, newbie
shakushinnen

Smart format utility

#81 Post by shakushinnen »

Thanks Jason,
That should be a useful little devil. Have you by any chance tried it on a disk that refuses formatting?
John

Sage

#82 Post by Sage »

Don't do it, shakey!
See my comments:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 7980#57980

jason.b.c

Re: Smart format utility

#83 Post by jason.b.c »

shakushinnen wrote:Thanks Jason,
That should be a useful little devil. Have you by any chance tried it on a disk that refuses formatting?
John
As a matter of fact , I have.. :o I was a little suprised to find out that i could indeed still format a disk that i had previously thought to be bad... But it formatted... :D
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

shakushinnen

#84 Post by shakushinnen »

O.K.
I got the boot floppy made on the fourth try, and it works, sorta. Problem is, I don't what the hell to do with it. I got to the login and entered xxxx and it gave me some line about today being the ---th day in the year of prickle???? but there is no graphics, all text. I need guidance. It said it found an image. I presume on my hard drive?????
John

SnowDog

#85 Post by SnowDog »

Okay, good. now you have a great tool, (actually a pile of tools) for future use.
To navigate you will need to learn a few linux commands. Not hard, (just like dos).
There are lots of different ways to accomplish the same thing in linux, I only know a few of them.
There is likely better faster ways than I do things and I strongly suggest that you try to read up on them a bit. You have a learning environment just like me. ie: more than one computer to play with, without temporarily blowing up the one you use every day. (we are lucky) I'd suggest that you have a peek here and do a bit of reading.
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/Linux/linux.html

I will try to help you (in PM) to accomplish things the way I do, but I don't think I should offer that up as advice for everyone who reads this newsgroup, because as I mentioned, there may be better, or more appropriate ways to do these things for puppy. I don't want to get anyone started out doing things half assed like I do. (I pretty much just learn what I need to know to accomplish the task at hand).

I think this thread is way too long already and off topic in several posts. May I suggest that you start a new post, asking for instructions on how to partition a hard drive for the transfer of puppy cd files and wakepup use?
Then we can mark that thread "solved" very quickly I imagine.

Perhaps another thread asking where to d/l a wakepup disk image for floppy, then solved again.

This way, we can come back to this thread and post a "solved" to it so that others who want to do this, can find out how we did it, without reading through hundreds of pages. Also, advice should come from those who are pro's at the this particular task, which may save us both some time.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

shakushinnen

#86 Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Snowdog,
Does Puppy not use a GUI?
John

SnowDog

#87 Post by SnowDog »

Yes absolutely.
Puppy can be made to look and act very much like windows.
I was referring to the rtbt disk being command line only.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

SnowDog

#88 Post by SnowDog »

shakushinnen.
I have placed a new post in forum requesting most efficient way to accomplish what we are up to here. As I suspected there are alternatives to the way that I got it to work and it appears that they may be more straight forward. I am downloading a couple of files to try this. Muggins instructs that we may be able to make your cd drive bootable using a floppy. Either check that thread, and/or I will report my results after trying in a similar environment to the one you are using on your desktop.

<EDIT>
This is unreal simple to use (the make your cd bootable thingy I mean)
This may save you almost all the trouble we've been going through with this. See Muggins' reply to my post in beginners help.

SnowDog

#89 Post by SnowDog »

Shakushinnen.
Sent you mail re this.
Yes, it will run on this machine.
I recreated your setup and made it happen. (like this)
I put together an LTE 5300 with 32Mb ram and a 1.2gig hard drive.
Created and formatted partitions on the hdd with tomsrtbt floppy.
Copied puppy files from 2.01rc1 cd (and one from the wake-pup boot floppy) to the hard drive, while it was in another machine.
Booted up with a wake-pup floppy disk and voila, it works.
Then I installed puppy to hda3 along with the grub bootloader.
No pc card support (yet) it would seem (maybe machine specific, or maybe just my machine has screwed sockets) and I'm not sure about sound yet. I will investigate further when time permits.

Sage

#90 Post by Sage »

Seem to have missed some of the wanderings in this thread!
Yes, SD, my experiences are that the drive is more likely to fail than the disc, itself, strange as that might seem. Not all FDDs are born equal. Sony seem most durable, Teac & Panasonic OK, but if you've got ALPS, expect trouble. Anyone wanting spares - just ask. I suspect that some failures are due to misuse by previous owners. Many have their azimuth settings disturbed, possibly by use of extended formatting; as I said, I don't possess the expensive equipment to reset these and it isn't possible to get it suffiently accurate manually. Bad indexing can easily be detected - either no discs can be R/W or discs that can be formatted can't be read on other drives.
As for parallel port FDD, I still have a brand new Dell unit with cable waiting on offers. However, there are big problems using these, not least of which a special BIOS is required if they are to be used for booting. If they are only used to store data, then special drivers are still required. Like their slightly more friendly USB counterparts, they share unreasonable price structure.
Best advice is still to avoid any PC that doesn't have a FDD - meaning Dell, especially. Notwithstanding, a colleague recently discovered that some proprietary boards are not only supplied with a FDD controller, but have a cable taped to the inside!! On the ones he retrofitted, there was no 3.5" slot so he had to use a 5.25" adapter plate. Again, best advice is to avoid all proprietary boxes. If this proves impossible, have the retailer open up one of their display units so that you can inspect what you might purchase and discover what else is 'missing'. In many case, good sense will prevail......