Pcurlftp recognizes but not looking at network imac

Using applications, configuring, problems
jadaro

Pcurlftp recognizes but not looking at network imac

#1 Post by jadaro »

Installation = frugal installation(slacko.5.3.1)in a partition holding PCLOS LXDE

With menu "pcurlfty" i set sharing to find imac client on local network

network was scanned and a shared_on 192.168.0.1 icon was posted
file sharing is turned on in imac and no password is required

clicking icon shows only two files (CFG-Page Text and Sleep-----)which I assume are pcurlftp files -- apparently the ftp client does not see imac files even though it scanned and connected to imac

what have I done wrong

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

The "shared_on 192.168.0.1" icon gets you to the directory for Anonymous FTP -- that is the place for files available to the public without logging in. I suspect that your Mac only has a couple of files there.

To look at other files on the Mac you would need to log in with your user name and password (for the Mac, not Puppy), by choosing "Setup-Sharing -> Client -> Manual", not "Setup-Sharing -> Client -> Scan".

CAUTION: If your file manager is one that likes to open files to determine what they are (e.g., Rox opens any file for which it doesn't recognize the filename extension), this will overwrite any access timestamps on the directory that it opens. If you don't want that to happen, you might want to choose another FTP application, such as gFTP, or a traditional FTP command line client.

Some people find access timestamps useful, most do not. If you don't, or you aren't sure what an access timestamp is, you can simply ignore this caution.

(I am unfamiliar with Macs. Perhaps they don't even have access timestamps.)

vovchik

#3 Post by vovchik »

Dear guys,

I also have a Mac Mini running OSX. It is, under the hood, FreeBSD Unix, and has the "accessed" attribute, like all Posix systems. See HFS Plus in the table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

With kind regards,
vovchik

jadaro

#4 Post by jadaro »

Could not get pcurlftp to to connect to imac

Pureftd did the job and works very well

I am glad we have more than one choice

npierce

#5 Post by npierce »

vovchik,

Thanks for the link, which is a handy reference to have available. It is good to know that modern Mac filesystems have a lot in common with Linux filesystems. It was also interesting to compare recent filesystems with some of the older filesystems like CP/M and Apple DOS 3.3 -- they have come a long way!

jadaro,

I'm glad you found something that works for you. Yes, alternative choices are good to have.