Slacko 5.3.3-RC2 (5.3.2.4[0])

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#61 Post by 01micko »

This is an extract from rerwin's reply:
rerwin wrote:One thing I saw in reviewing the drivers thread is a conflict between b43 and ssb, which I am proposing to handle with a new preference, "ssb:b43". Since I cannot see what is happening in the cases you cite, I don't know whether that preference is related or not. Another issue in that thread suggests a timing factor, in that the troubleshooting advice was to unload and reload b43 a little later in the initialization sequence -- not sure whether that is still considered effective.

We might make more sense of it all with a little data to work from. Could you obtain from both the lupu variant and your failing puppy the files, /tmp/udevtrace.log, /var/log/messages and /lib/modules/.../modules.alias? And also the hardware ID of the device in question and the output from lsmod.

Before even doing that, could you tell me more about what is happening with the broadcom driver? Does b43 simply get ignored, or is another module loaded in its place? I am trying to determine whether it would be something for tempestuous to examine or for Barry.
Thanks peebee, but if what wuxiandianzi says is true I think we are a step closer. Actually /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43/lib/firmware is empty!!! (WRONG sorry, it's in /lib/firmware/b43),

wuxiandianzi, all firmware is decompressed. No need of compression as the xz compression of the main sfs takes care of it. This was introduced in woof about 3 months ago.

-

maxerro, answer is me.
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

wuxiandianzi

re

#62 Post by wuxiandianzi »

at least I download newest B43 firmware into /lib/firmware/ and it is sucess to load B43 at boot.

01micko

Re: re

#63 Post by 01micko »

wuxiandianzi wrote:at least I download newest B43 firmware into /lib/firmware/ and it is sucess to load B43 at boot.
firmware is already there
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

maxerro

#64 Post by maxerro »

01micko wrote:maxerro, answer is me.
yeah, the point is you got the build options right.
it was virtually unbreakable on 99% of machines (even pre-2004-ones), unlike 3.x.x attempts.

01micko

#65 Post by 01micko »

maxerro, I'll keep support for k2.6.37.6 as the "RETRO" instead of "MAIN" verion, and drop the scsi tag, that was a boo boo!

peebee

Re: Slacko 5.3.2-alpha2 ..testing

#66 Post by peebee »

wuxiandianzi wrote:
01micko wrote:Slacko .. goes on..
ALL b43 (broadcom wireless)
Hi,01micko:
I find that B43 firmware has been compressed and when boot it will be decompressed. I think it is not good way to dio this,I ut B43 firmware into /lib/firmware/ directly not tarball. And this can be auto detected by udevd I think.
I think??? that Barry did this for Racy522 and that this got into Woof and therefore Slacko5312 also comes with uncompressed firmware.... I'm pretty certain because I didn't have to extract the firmware in Slacko5312 - just the modprobe was needed.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

cthisbear

#67 Post by cthisbear »

Dell crapbook boots to desktop.

1280 x 800

Dell Studio XPS.

Does not like being configured differently.

"""""

No wireless....but lan works.

Wired comes up as >>> eth0 >> pci nvidia MCP79 Ethernet

"""""""

No bark....setup icon disappears

Handy feature >>> adjust levels.....master volume was down.

I had already did it in alsamixer....but this is good.
Actually rebooted fresh....
need to run Alsamixer >>> Generic Sound Mixer
and unmute speaker etc.

And 2 testing barks....are very handy.

""""""""""""""

Chris.

Jasper

#68 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko, Jim1911, shinobar, et al,

In response to your post about feature requests, Jim1911 wrote:

"Please consider replacing Barry's shutdownconfig with shinobar's pupsaveconfig which is faster and has more features ie: It makes ext4 internal file system of the savefile as the default if the kernel supports ext4."

and you replied:

Already in planning stages....
----------------------------------------------------
"Already in Planning stages...." sounds complicated to me, - so I just report my brief experiment:

I tried shinobar's pupsaveconfig-2.0.1.pet with Slacko 5.3.1 Main and the save with ext4 was very fast (especially since the flash stick used had only medium/lowish read/write speeds).

I inserted a USB Flash Stick with FAT format and free space
Then I started afresh and used my 5.3.1 CD with "puppy pfix=ram"
Then installed and loaded the pet
Then saved and rebooted
Then used the CD with "puppy pmedia=usbflash".

----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
I saw no added option(s) such as "save" or "don't save" on rebooting. That does not matter to me, but I mention it because I was expecting (perhaps mistakenly) to see that option.
and apology - the option to save or not save appeared on my next reboot

Also, I would like to amend the config file so as to avoid typing "puppy pmedia=usbflash" in future if anyone has a suggestion.

My regards
Last edited by Jasper on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#69 Post by cthisbear »

Bonus.

Got a crappy Comsol 4 gig usb to boot using

>> Grub 4 Dos Config v1.7.2

Hoorray ...lost days on this little piggy.
It's own utility wouldn't recognise it.

Formatted as usual with Fat32.

I'm excited....RIP Big Kev.

Chris.

Icyos

#70 Post by Icyos »

Hi All

Installed to me 8Gb USB Stick and its perfect on a 8 Month old Dell Optiplex 380 PC With Windows 7 & Broadcom network card. Configured card, made save file & rebooted, no issues totally perfect. Great job and you gotta love the Pup.

[/img]

majorfoo

#71 Post by majorfoo »

Updated 5.3.1.1 to 5.3.2-alpha2 using provided delta file

booted live cd using defaults -
desktop has 1366x768 display
sound ok
auto connected to internet this version solved my connections problems previously reported on 5.3.1.1

looking good - off to do full install

majorfoo

peebee

#72 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:This is an extract from rerwin's reply:
rerwin wrote:We might make more sense of it all with a little data to work from. Could you obtain from both the lupu variant and your failing puppy the files, /tmp/udevtrace.log, /var/log/messages and /lib/modules/.../modules.alias? And also the hardware ID of the device in question and the output from lsmod.
Hi Mick

I posted the files requested by Richard in my previous post - apart from the udevtrace.log files which are now attached here.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
udevtrace.log.lupu528k318.gz
(9.97 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
udevtrace.log.slack5312.gz
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sszindian

CD Save & Boot

#73 Post by sszindian »

Something Different!!!

Burned program using 'multi burn' to the CD... Booted with 'puppy pfx=ram'... Installed a few programs then went for the shutdown... Used the 'Save To CD' instead of the HDD this time... 'Went Well !'

Rebooted computer using only the CD Drive... 'Beautiful...' Everything was there as should be.

Went to 'Shutdown' and was presented (again as per the first shutdown) with the option to either 'Save or No Save the current session'... That is really really NICE! It would be great if that feature could be added to frugal and regular save file to HDD on shutdown.

Great job here Mic! Looks to me that 'You Got A Tiger By The Tail' and... it's fast, I mean really fast on my Dell P-4

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

majorfoo

#74 Post by majorfoo »

Full install completed to ext4 partition.

updated seamonkey to 2.61

added
wbar
evince
aidacious
xscreensaver
roxterm
pupcontrol
pupclockset
shermans aquarium
puppy browser
flashplayer
bibletime
sfsinstal
tcl_tk_plus

all items working well - no problems to report.

Great job as always

majorfoo

zigbert

#75 Post by zigbert »

Hello Mick
I am on holiday without internet connection (this internet cafe is ok though...), so I can`t test the new Slacko. But it makes me happy to see you with new energy :)

Pmusic 2.3.0 is fun stuff ... if streamripper is included. I could not check.
Pmusic 2.4.0 is on its way, but won`t make it for this release. Event-handling is comletely rewritten so it requires a lot of testing. Please, do not be tempted if you see a new release.... we should wait for 2.4.1/2/3 before going official :)

Sigmund

peebee

player problem?

#76 Post by peebee »

[edit]Thanks James - missed the earlier fix for gnome-mplayer - now fixed and also didn't need the 2nd .pet[/edit]
Last edited by peebee on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#77 Post by James C »

From a bit earlier in the thread...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 007#597007
I have found 2 bugs. gmtk was broken so gnome-mplayer fails, install fixed version:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-i486.pet
If it fails install the DEV file too: (please let me know if you needed to do this)
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-i486.pet
I only had to install the first gmtk-1.0.5-i486 pet , MPlayer then worked fine.DEV pet not necessary here.

jim3630

#78 Post by jim3630 »

applied delta and 532-a2 hdd frugal install pfix=ram, frisbee connect to wifi same, detected hdmi connected ext monitor at correct 1900x1080. multi-sound card worked for ext sound.

had to exit to command line> xorgwizard to change resolution.
md5sum would not work.
gmtk pet needed for mplayer to work.
thanks mick

01micko

#79 Post by 01micko »

jim3630 wrote:md5sum would not work.

Code: Select all

# md5sum squeeze*
880b3df6c347ec1dbdd32987d6278ec9  squeeze-5.X.11-SCSI.iso
It works here on the old IBM r51 lappy, and it's a slow machine in the context of Slacko targets. Are you sure you typed the command correctly?
-

@Jasper,

Doesn't the cd find the usb save file automatically? Usb driver should be loaded at boot as it's built in to the kernel.

jim3630

#80 Post by jim3630 »

01micko wrote:
jim3630 wrote:md5sum would not work.

Code: Select all

#md5sum  squeeze*
880b3df6c347ec1dbdd32987d6278ec9  squeeze-5.X.11-SCSI.iso
It works here on the old IBM r51 lappy, and it's a slow machine in the context of Slacko targets. Are you sure typed the command correctly?
# md5sum /mnt/sda5/slack/5312/slacko*
dee6c70217fdcfa458df117f10465eb2 /mnt/sda5/slack/5312/slacko-5.3.1.1-SCSI.iso
97f99e5aefc8440631380e6a79a58cb8 /mnt/sda5/slack/5312/slacko-5.3.1.1-SCSI.iso___slacko-5.3.1.2-SCSI.iso.delta
8058773fcdce248d3958feb8a4e60cb8 /mnt/sda5/slack/5312/slacko-5.3.1.2-SCSI.iso

didn't work from the menu. customize menu, sym link from usr/bin.
got it going from command line. thanks