How do I remaster Puppy with IceWM as the only WM?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mr. Mustang

How do I remaster Puppy with IceWM as the only WM?

#1 Post by Mr. Mustang »

I'm a newbie here and just trying to get a feel for live-cd making. How do I make a live-cd with IceWM as the only WM?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

you would take out the fvwm95 and jwm unleashed packages, and add the icewm package

though the jwm package is quite small

i haven't uploaded an icewm package yet
making the package's tar.gz file is easy
what takes time is getting icewm to work nicely

you could make your own icewm unleashed package

i was just experimenting with the latest version of icewm (1.2.21)

it seems to work ok ... i commented what seemed to be a debug message that had not removed from the release ... it was filling up xerrs.txt with messages

i upx'ed it so the icewm binary is 130k rather than 530k ... it seems to work ok upx'ed ... i don't know if it there is much point to upx'ing it, though

papasmurf was working on an icewm unleashed package, and had problems with icewm not running in 640x480 256 color mode ... or maybe it was 8 color mode

i tried all the video wizard's resolutions, and they all worked with icewm ... it may be just very low color resolutions that don't work ... i seem to remember that anti-aliasing support or maybe imlib support or something may prevent it from starting at low resolutions ... i haven't tested all this thoroughly yet

i was also thinking about integrating the menu with the unleashed system (making a pinstall.sh script)

drj

Re: How do I make a live-cd with IceWM as the only WM?

#3 Post by drj »

If I am not totally off mark, you can boot puppy into memory with pup001 for data (or other partition), customize it as you see fit (removing fvwm95 or whatever) and then remaster live-CD (menu-setup-remaster)

I tried remaster a couple of times, but never tested my results. I could be off
Mr. Mustang wrote:I'm a newbie here and just trying to get a feel for live-cd making. How do I make a live-cd with IceWM as the only WM?

Anna Merikin

PizzaPup

#4 Post by Anna Merikin »

I'm using it now. I'd show yu what it looks like but neither XPaint nor MTPaint will successfully do a screenshot....

I got it from one of the unofficial Puppy download sites.

It is large for a Puppy - 66 Mb but it runs fine and fast.

Icewm is the default, with Mozilla, Abi and Amaya.

Some things (like screenshots) may be broken.

ezeze5000

puppy download sites

#5 Post by ezeze5000 »

Do you have some links to the unofficial puppy download sites?

Could you post them?

Anna Merikin

#6 Post by Anna Merikin »

[quote="ezeze5000"]Do you have some links to the unofficial puppy download sites?

Could you post them?[/quote]
The "unofficial" sites are the sites other than the main site on the official Puppy download page. I opened all of them in tabs in Mozilla and downloaded everything I could find, including a minimum version of Puppy (39 Mb) with no wordprocessing or browser except dillo. Check out all the links on the download page and each other folders on them; it's there somewhere.

Or try google; mebbe it has shown up on its archives. "Pizzapup-1.0.1.iso" is what I have.