Legacy OS released (Formerly TEENpup)

News, happenings
john biles

#21 Post by john biles »

Hello PenguinPupLin,
How do I make swap file work in Legacy OS 2 ?
Are asking this question as it appears that Legacy OS 2 isn't using swap. It will when needed.

On the right sidebar click "Drives" pick MUT (Can also be found in the main menu)
In MUT you'll see the swap drive listed.

Are you trying to run a swap file inside the Legacy OS 2 partition instead of a separate partition which is the normal?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

PenguinPupLin

#22 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Yes,I want to create a swap file inside Legacy OS 2 instead of a separate swap partition. My Legacy OS 2 is frugal installed manually in a multi-boot environment with WinXP and several other puppies, all in ntfs partition.

Haven't done so yet - just thought I'd run into the same problem as in Classic Pup 214X where pupswap.swp gives me "swapon:the argument is invalid" error and if I named it something else,nothing happened. If I'm not wrong,both your Legacy OS2 and 214X-TOP use the same kernel 2.6.18.1

As I've said,I also wanted to try the winfonts method of setting the WinXP pagefile as swap space but to no avail. In fact the menu wasn't even created. And when I try to uninstall it, I realised Puppy Package Manager isn't used for Legacy OS. Do I just delete it from the .userPackages and perhaps leave trails behind?

As far as possible, I try not to install any apps or software and just make do with all the pre-selected and pre-installed ones which are comprehensive enough and the work of 1000s of hours you've spent trying and testing to make sure they work fine - I supposed that's what a typical user of Legacy OS would be like and going to your repository to get updates and additional applications/software as and when they are availaible.

Another question is where can I find your kernel and source files as I'd like to compile an Nvidia96 driver for my notebook onboard Geforce 2 go chipset?

PenguinPupLin

#23 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Another strange problem, couldn't open the /home/proc folder - just hanged indefinitely nor able to close it. Same problem even after reboot.I had wanted to check if the /proc/modules folder contains the rt61 driver that I've updated.

john biles

#24 Post by john biles »

Hello PenguinPupLin,
to compile apps in Legacy OS 2 you need the devx package problem is like 2.14x, Legacy OS 2 runs the 2.5 glibc libs out of Puppy 3.01 which Barry K released with the 2.6.18.1 kernel.

I recommend you download a copy of Puppy 3.01 with the 2.6.18.1 kernel and its devx and compile within that environment and see if the resulting files can be added to Legacy.

Because of the mix-mash of Packages in Legacy OS 2, I don't compile the apps added. I source binaries from Redhat, Fedora, Mandriva, Debian Ubuntu, Suse etc etc.
(You'll be amazed where apps, bins and libs have originated.)
Here's an example Redhat 5 series uses Kernel version 2.6.18.25 which gives great compatibility with Legacy OS 2.

Keep posting your journey with Legacy OS 2 as you seem to be trying different ways to use it I don't think I've seen before.

Shep

#25 Post by Shep »

PenguinPupLin wrote:Another strange problem, couldn't open the /home/proc folder - just hanged indefinitely nor able to close it. Same problem even after reboot.I had wanted to check if the /proc/modules folder contains the rt61 driver that I've updated.
I don't think there is a /home/ folder, so no /home/proc folder then.

You'd be looking for the /proc/modules file?

PenguinPupLin

#26 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Yes,from /home I do see the /proc folder but after clicking it,it just hangs on me indefinitely unable to open the subfolders.
I've installed the rt61...pet and got the error that there isn't such a module in the /proc/module folder,so I thought of adding the module there. The /home folder can be accessed from the bottom tray icon, the one with the arrow pointing up.

And,John,since Legacy OS 2 will make use of a swap partition by default when needed,can the comand be modified to make use of a swap file instead after having manually created one?

Pardon me for my unusual or special requests. Personally,I've chosen your Legacy OS 2 and Classic Pup 214XTOP9 as the two best candidates to revive a number of old low-specs about 10-yr-old computers,mostly notebooks, belonging to my family and friends. But first I got to convince them by achieving reasonably good if not impressive results on my sluggish WinXP notebook. Frankly,they aren't IT-savvy,somewhat 'lazy' to learn a new OS and expect me to do everything for them. (Secretly,I 'm hoping they'd say,don't bother,you can have them :lol: - just kidding,it's my intention to turn them into spare functionally good computers for their kids to play with ).

It's essential that I get swapfile working as otherwise the kids will lose interest in these so-called revitalized computers if they couldn't play their favourite online games and watch youtube clips at acceptable level of performance. Or soon they would be clamouring their Daddies and Mommies to get another new computer as presently there isn't enough to go round.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

john biles

#27 Post by john biles »

Hello PenguinPupLin,
Part of developing Legacy OS is I'm also learning and as my knowledge improves, so do my releases.

At this time I don't have an answer but feel that the script or function that tells Legacy OS to start using swap could most likely be edited to start using swap earlier.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

puponmanyoldlaptops

Legacy OS 2 and 4 Tryout Recently (8/2012)

#28 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

I tried Legacy OS 2 on my old Compaq laptop (P3 800mhz.) and in my P4 2.8ghz. desktop. Then I D/Led 4 to try it out as well.

4 didn't boot in the 512MB of RAM the Compaq had, but both did OK in the P4.

Both had to be changed refresh-rate wise to make my 19 inch LCD monitor show X.

Great combo of software in these distros but neither 2 or 4 are completely well suited for old laptops, and the kernel used to fabricate them is missing drivers.

2 was perfect for the Compaq but didn't have a driver for my CDMA-based USB modem. 4 did, but took a long time to boot on the P4, the game similar to breakout paused mysteriously after a few minutes of play and wouldn't go on.

#29 Post by 789 »

@JohnBiles

Thank you for your work on Legacy 4-mini

Could you make .config available ? this vmlinuz is great as it is, boots in less than 30 seconds; I would like it to support vga=791