gtk2desklet 3.1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Geoffrey

#21 Post by Geoffrey »

I tried this with the new Saluki XFCE version, the examples only capture top left of screen, not where the gtkdialog-desklet version 1.2 appears.

Edit: I tried version 1.1 that seems to work ok.

If I click mouse anywhere on the desktop the desklet vanishes.

Geoffrey

akash_rawal

#22 Post by akash_rawal »

Upgraded to version 2.0

Changelog:
  • Fixed window types for xfwm (Thanks Geoffrey)
  • Now entire transparency work is done inside GTK module, improving performance slightly
  • Added facility to specify gtkdialog executable (commandline option -g, --gtkdialog=command)
  • Fixed a small bug in option processing

Geoffrey

#23 Post by Geoffrey »

akash_rawal wrote:Upgraded to version 2.0

Changelog:
  • Fixed window types for xfwm (Thanks Geoffrey)
  • Now entire transparency work is done inside GTK module, improving performance slightly
  • Added facility to specify gtkdialog executable (commandline option -g, --gtkdialog=command)
  • Fixed a small bug in option processing

Version 2.0 is working ok with xfwm, including option -g, but it doesn't show option -b the fancy background.

Geoffrey
Attachments
desklet1.jpg
(15.21 KiB) Downloaded 1540 times

akash_rawal

#24 Post by akash_rawal »

Geoffrey wrote: Version 2.0 is working ok with xfwm, including option -g, but it doesn't show option -b the fancy background.
Well, I don't observe such problem. Does it show error messages in terminal?

The example should run like this:
Attachments
desklet_bg.jpg
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times

Geoffrey

#25 Post by Geoffrey »

akash_rawal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: Version 2.0 is working ok with xfwm, including option -g, but it doesn't show option -b the fancy background.
Well, I don't observe such problem. Does it show error messages in terminal?

The example should run like this:
if I click on the script and run it, it shows as my previous picture shows, but if I run it from the terminal it shows it as a transparency and not the background image, strange :?
Attachments
desklet.jpg
(21.53 KiB) Downloaded 1599 times

Geoffrey

#26 Post by Geoffrey »

akash_rawal,

I tried copying desklet_background.png to /root, then I don't get the error but the image still doesn't show, I've tried running it from the xfce terminal as well as rxvt with the same result, is there anything else I should check, I am running in Saluki with GTK version 2.24.8

while I'm here command in terminal to get gtk version is pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0

I just tried from a fresh usb install of Saluki, still don't work :?

Geoffrey

edit: I just noticed that yours is transparent, mine will not show as transparent for inactive windows and what version of XFCE are you using, Saluki is running version 4.8, could that be the difference, I can't think of what else to tell you, that about covers it all.

Geoffrey

#27 Post by Geoffrey »

Well you can disregard all the info I posted, I have installed the latest release of Saluki 007, I think this has a different revision of XFCE.

The command for gtk version doesn't work either, anyway the desklet_background.png now shows but there is no transparency, on any of the widgets,
if you can get it working for this version I think it should be safe in the sense that this should be the final build of XFWM for Saluki,
I hope this hasn't caused you any hair tearing moments, thank you for the time you have spent on getting this working, it is a nice feature to have.

regards

Geoffrey

akash_rawal

#28 Post by akash_rawal »

Upgraded to version 2.1

Changelog:
  • Now wallpaper change is handled almost instantly via GdkEvent.
  • Fixed crashes after changing wallpaper when using xfdesktop as pinboard/desktop (Not an actual fix, only the X error is trapped and printed to terminal)
  • Automatically refresh transparency when gtkdialog window is resized (again handled via GdkEvent).

akash_rawal

#29 Post by akash_rawal »

Code: Select all

WARNING: Couldn't load background image "desklet_background.png"
This warning means that gtkdialog-desklet couldn't find desklet_background.png in current working directory, not a big problem.

The solution is to correct present working directory:

cd /usr/share/doc/gtkdialog-desklet/examples
./2_advanced_options 
or mentioning full path to the image.

I use XFCE 4.6.2 along with compiz as WM and rox to manage desktop, but that shouldn't matter.

Geoffrey

#30 Post by Geoffrey »

akash_rawal wrote:

WARNING: Couldn't load background image "desklet_background.png"
This warning means that gtkdialog-desklet couldn't find desklet_background.png in current working directory, not a big problem.

The solution is to correct present working directory:

cd /usr/share/doc/gtkdialog-desklet/examples
./2_advanced_options 
or mentioning full path to the image.

I use XFCE 4.6.2 along with compiz as WM and rox to manage desktop, but that shouldn't matter.
:cry: Sad to say no joy, I guess this is the error message sent to the terminal "Warning: x_get_root_pixmap_by_property failed",

still the same result, no transparency, but the fancy picture shows ok, oh and now when I add -g command, the command is run but the desklet never appears

Ive tried a few different things to see if I can get it to function the way it should, I can get the desklet to run with no transparency then the command to run

but not with the -g, I'm wondering in what way, when it was working correctly, the -g differs from the examples below, the result is the same.

#!/bin/sh
#!/bin/bash

export desklet="
<vbox> 
	<text><label>The first example app</label></text> 
	<text><label>Hello World!</label></text> 
	<button ok></button>
</vbox>
"

gtkdialog-desklet -p desklet && command
or

#!/bin/sh
#!/bin/bash

export desklet="
<vbox> 
	<text><label>The first example app</label></text> 
	<text><label>Hello World!</label></text> 
	<button ok></button>
</vbox>
"

gtkdialog-desklet -p desklet
command
Surely this is driving you nuts :lol:

Regards

Geoffrey

akash_rawal

#31 Post by akash_rawal »

Upgraded to version 2.2

Changelog:
  • Fixed frequent crashes with progressbars (Still not so good, it still crashes occasionally)
  • Now using real transparency if compositing manager is used.

akash_rawal

#32 Post by akash_rawal »

Geoffrey wrote: still the same result, no transparency, but the fancy picture shows ok, oh and now when I add -g command, the command is run but the desklet never appears
-g option is meant to select gtkdialog executable.

e.g. if you have both gtkdialog4 and gtkdialog3, gtkdialog-desklet selects gtkdialog4. To make it use gtkdialog3 instead, you can pass option -g gtkdialog3

Transparency is not yet supported with background image. I will add support for alpha channel in background image someday, but I have no plans to do it soon.

akash_rawal

#33 Post by akash_rawal »

Upgraded to version 2.3

Changelog:
  • Completely fixed crashing issues with progressbars (The problem was that gtkdialog was multithreaded. This led to frequent race conditions with gtkdialog-desklet)

vovchik

#34 Post by vovchik »

Dear akash_rawal,

Compiles in and works really nicely in Lucid. Very clever programming, I must say. Thanks. I think we should have a section on the forum devoted to gtkdialog-desklets. I can't wait to write some myself. I can see conky being replaced by such a desklet, and heaps of other nice desktop apps.

With kind regards,
vovchik

sc0ttman

#35 Post by sc0ttman »

akash_rawal wrote:Upgraded to version 2.3
Seems to work fine - on Akita (pup420/wary51x mongrel), using a special gtkdialog4 from techno, built without glade deps, if that matters...
Will be great to see what widgets come out of this! :)
Good work akash_rawal.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

sc0ttman wrote:Will be great to see what widgets come out of this! :)
Yeah? :lol:

I have been sitting on this for a few weeks as I had issues with gtkdialog-desklet and have since been very busy. But now they are mostly solved.

Note that it runs even without gtkdialog-desklet, but only supports rox-desktop ATM, it would be easy to add other support. Also requires that resizepng is installed.

It should run on anything gtkdialog-desklet supports with one issue, font colour is unsupported, [ feature request akash_rawal? :) ]. The desklet way is certainly faster.

weatherCOM

Plenty of "grokking" ( :lol: @techno) involved.
Attachments
weatherCOM.gz
the grokfest, supports different screen location, all sorts of things.
gunzip and chmod, run from wherever. best to run &quot;weatherCOM -h&quot;
to get a handle on it.
REQUIRES &gt;= +gtkdialog-0.8.0 and either
+gtkdialog-desklet or +resizepng
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
weatherCOM0.png
WITH gtkdialog-desklet, has a font colour limitation
(110.91 KiB) Downloaded 1950 times
resizepng.gz
gunzip, chmod 755, mv to $PATH
(2 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
weatherCOM1.png
WITHOUT gtkdialog-desklet, needs resizepng
(113.69 KiB) Downloaded 2065 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Geoffrey

#37 Post by Geoffrey »

Nice one 01micko,

I've been waiting to see some development with this, it still is a bit buggy with xfce but seem to work ok with true transparency.

Here it is on Saluki, looks brilliant, thanks for this, we might see a bit more of it now, I feel inspired but you beat me to it with the weather, as that was the only thing I could think of that I felt was needed.

akash_rawal

#38 Post by akash_rawal »

Great widget 01micko. Well done.

Strangely I couldn't get the correct font color even in the gtkdialog mode, or else I was about to suggest using a custom gtkrc file for gtkdialog-desklet too.

If custom gtkrc files work for gtkdialog then they should work too for gtkdialog-desklet as it no longer depends on gtkrc files for transparency.

But <span> tag still works. However it stops working after refreshing label widget.

I am attaching screenshot of my own calendar widget. It is a work in progress, on changing months <span> tags stop working.
Attachments
widgets.png
(177.28 KiB) Downloaded 1851 times

sc0ttman

#39 Post by sc0ttman »

01micko wrote:
sc0ttman wrote:Will be great to see what widgets come out of this! :)
Yeah? :lol:
Yeah, lol.. Looks great!

But personally, I cannot for the life of me understand the need for weather widgets on a PC, on a phone, tablet, etc,...
I just look out the window... But then again, that is my answer to "seeing things in HD" as well ;)

But on a serious note, that looks great for those who use such things,
if I could organise my time better, I would have a go at some widgets as well..
But being an *totally* uncreative type, I can't think of any :roll:

I do know a tiny bit of gtkdialog/*ash though, so if anyone has requests,
I might give one of them a go and see what happens!

Didn't techno make a stocks n shares gtkdialog thing?
Might be a nice applet...
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

seaside

#40 Post by seaside »

Wow! Crawling through a 200k load of html to tease out pertinent weather details - now that's the kind of person I want organizing my search party if ever I go missing. :)

01micko, really a fantastic effort.

A minor change to the regular gtkdialog part-

#normal gtkdialog 
WINDOW='<window title="$WIDGETNAME" type-hint="7" resizable="false" decorated="false">' 
to remove the window cover.

This must be a style trend coming on. No more carry-on linux luggage. If you need an icon, either just make it on the fly or grab one from the cloud. :)

Regards,
s