Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 18:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Browserlinux 501
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 6 [78 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
KANECO

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011, 08:43    Post subject: PXE Boot
Subject description: Browserlinux 501 PXE Boot

Hello darkcity

The PXE boot environment is a network boot disktless from a tftp server your computer go until the server and boot from this tftp server without any disk or usb or cd.

thank you for the suggestions but the two ways you suggest don't work for me because on this pxe environment I can't access to a disk to save I have to set the parameters on the boot files.

Best regards
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011, 18:12    Post subject: Puppy has a PXE setup  

Puppy has a PXE setup. It was built by JamesBond and can be found here. You get the Puppy ISO, it does everything else for you.

The enclosed instructions does all the hand-holding. The PC on the LAN that will boot after you setup, does not need a CD/DVD drive or a Hard drive or anything other than a LAN on the Motherboard. Just tested a moment ago with BrowserLinux. It works fine.

Hope this helps

Volhout

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec 2011, 05:36    Post subject: well done
Subject description: 501

GCMartin,

Thanks for this great puppy. It is only recently I stumbled upon it, and it works great. Simple, straightforward.

The only negative I found is that (running frugal from USB stick) mnt/home is not a drive icon on the desktop. This may have been intentionally, but if it is your only file storage location on a discless system......

Great puppy.....

Regards,

Volhout
jimla

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2011, 15:50    Post subject: email application  

Is it possible to install a simple email application like Sylpheed to Browserlinux?
maureenc

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:19    Post subject: Installing to Old Laptop Hard Drive  

Martin. I absolutely love this Puppy.... It is incredibly neat and really cool.... Thank you for all your hard work in creating it for us.

I want to permanently install it to my old Compaq Presario Hard Drive (currently running it from a CD) as I want it to completely overwrite any Windows stuff that was there originally. Compaq had created a "recovery" drive which I've not been able to delete yet and I want this to be just a totally Linux machine.

I've had a couple of attempts at doing this but not yet succeeded in getting it to boot from the Hard Drive... Is there a foolproof method? I am not a "hands on" Linux person although I do run Ubuntu only on my Desktop.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you once again for this wonderful Puppy.

Mo
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2012, 19:08    Post subject: Re: well done
Subject description: 501

Volhout wrote:
... recently I stumbled upon it, and it works great. Simple, straightforward.

The only negative I found is that (running frugal from USB stick) mnt/home is not a drive icon on the desktop. This may have been intentionally, but if it is your only file storage location on a discless system......

Great puppy.....

Regards,

Volhout
I use the NAS on my LAN for file/download storage. This allows completely disk-free operation on the local system.

On a bench PC that I use for testing, I have a USB that contains SWAP and a small "Public" partition that I share via SAMBA with users on my LAN. This allows a simple fast OS. That PC has been an Internet PC that is stable, fast, open and extremely useful for testing and various other uses.

Hope this helps

seasidesoulish

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2012, 12:11    Post subject: root user & password  

Hi I'm trying to add my printer via cups which I installed onto browserlinux but it won't accept...

user:puppy
password:linux

any thoughts please?

thanks

rockitman

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2012, 17:06    Post subject: Install Linux Firewall with BrowserLinux 501?
Subject description: Not sure if Firewall needed or if possible with live cd version?

Hello,
This is my first venture into the linux environment. I was able to burn the BrowserLinux cd and boot up from it. However, it suggested that I install Linux Firewall ver. 2.orc9 (or something like that). I only want to run BrowserLinux from the cd, so if I choose to install, does it just load into ram memory also, or will it install on the hdd? I would rather not install anything on the hdd, but want to be able to surf safely. Or is the firewall installation only used when installing the program to the hdd? Thanks in advance!
rockitman

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2012, 14:26    Post subject:  Firewall, also hard drive partitions visible on desktop  

Hi,
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question in my previous post about whether to install the linux firewall when running Browserlinux 501 from live cd only. Also, since my hard drive partitions (SDA1, SDA2, SDA3) show up on the desktop, even when running from live cd, does this pose a risk? Thanks for answering newbie questions.
Ray MK

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2012, 19:19    Post subject:  

hi rockitman

If you are booting/running from CD without a save_file,
you probably have no cause for concern, unless you are
visiting dodgy websites.

If you have a router wired or wifi, or both, you are almost certainly already behind a firewall.

However, another firewall does no harm and may add an additional layer of security.

So, by all means, run the puppy firewall wizard and select the no questions option.
It all runs in ram anyway (assuming you have 256mb+ ram)

Your HDD and partitions are not accessible until you mount them (ie - click on the icons to see what's there) As long as you un-mount them again, they are safe.

If you like have a small save_file to keep settings persistant, just make a clean back-up copy and put it in a safe folder somewhere, before going on the internet.

If ever you have what looks like a problem, delete the origional save_file and replace it with the back-up.
(then make another back-up of the clean back-up you are about to use, before using it)

You are good to go again in a matter of seconds. (ie a re-boot)

HTH - welcome to and have fun with Puppy.

Regards - Ray
rockitman

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb 2012, 00:22    Post subject: Firewall, etc.  

Thanks Ray, that's just what I needed to know - appreciate it!
bruno

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 08:21    Post subject: updating firefox  

browserlinux is so great, i use it already longtime.
Bedankt Martin!
Now i'm using 501, but when i upgrade firefox (now it's to version 10), then firefox doesn't work good any more, running very slow and halting. If i just keep it on version 5, all goes well.
I tried already many times, and I always have to ho back to a clean start from the live CD, because the upgraded firefox doesn't work
mikemason

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:24    Post subject: BrowserLinux 501 Changing Desktop Size  

Thanks for BrowserLinux 501, I've installed it on a USB pen and am enjoying it.

But how do you change the desktop size, I've got about a inch on both sides of the screen, xorg is set to 1024x768x24 vega and fills the screen but when the browser is maximized it's much smaller.

Have a great day!
bruno

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2012, 10:53    Post subject: updating firefox
Subject description: after updating, firefox becomes very slow

After updating firefox from verison 5 in browserlinux 501, to the newest version, that's 11 now, firefox becomes very slow. It happens every time, with every machine that I try it with.
Doesn't anybody else have this problem?
michel804

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2013, 12:27    Post subject: Upgrading firefox in a frugal install
Subject description: understanding what is going on

Quote:
After updating firefox from verison 5 in browserlinux 501, to the newest version, that's 11 now, firefox becomes very slow. It happens every time, with every machine that I try it with.
Doesn't anybody else have this problem?

Hi bruno, did you ever find the solution to the issue about FF? I have had the same problem and i would like to understand what is going on.
For now my remedy is : Do not update on a frugal install

Can someone explain what really happens when FF is updated on a frugal install ?
Thanks
Page 5 of 6 [78 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: