Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 08:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Conky With Lua
Page 1 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 04:11    Post subject:  Conky With Lua
Subject description: Beautify your desktop with Conky

Conky with Lua

Compiled and tested on Lucid 5.28

For Saluki users, have a look here. Conky's simpler to setup in Saluki because it has real transparency so the instructions below are not needed

Additionally, be aware the instructions below are for people without a composite manager running. If you have XFCE with compositing or Compiz or the like running, you can just install the first 3 pets and all should be well, no need for the .xinitrc hacks.

Pets:
conky-1.8.1.pet
liblua5.1-0_5.1.4-5_i386.pet
libiconv-1.14.pet
feh-1.3.4.pet

The first 3 pets are Conky and its dependencies. Feh is a background setter I use to create an illusion of transparency.

Installation:
After installing pets...
Step 1:
In the file /root/.xinitrc place the line feh --bg-scale /root/.background in the same place as the picture.

Step 2:
In the file /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg add these lines to the end of the file:

Code:
feh --bg-scale $IMAGE
cp -f $IMAGE /root/.background

Reset your wallpaper.

Basically what both these steps are doing is creating a fake layer of your background so Conky can pretend it's transparent. Step 1 is to get the fake layer created every time X is restarted, Step 2 is getting the fake layer to be created every time a new wallpaper is selected with Nathan's Wallpaper Setter.

From here you can run a conkyrc file with:

Code:
conky -c /path/to/conkyrc

Conky Theme Switcher

Edit: I feel a bit more confident of the pet now. (No small part due to Jemimah fixing it up and including it in the Saluki repository.) It's quite useful to browse Conky themes and now it comes with quitte a few prepackaged themes ready to go. I think it should work with most Puppies due to it being a simple GTK script.

Old:The following pet is a bit of a joke, I don't know know a thing about gtkdialog, but I managed to hack Puppy's icon switcher into a Conky config switcher. Shocked Laughing Naturally it's experimental due to my skill level Rolling Eyes

conkyswitcher-0.03.pet

I'm a bit tired at the moment so let me know if I missed anything or said something absolutely absurd Smile

Battleshooter

Change Log to ConkySwitcher
0.01 - Initial
0.02 - Jemimah added "disable conky" button and cleaned code up. Also enabled multi conky start. Included all themes in pet.
0.03 - Updated picture preview to Jemimah's additions. Included fonts used by themes.

Last edited by battleshooter on Thu 08 May 2014, 23:03; edited 14 times in total
battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 04:12    Post subject:  

Questions I've Invented To Answer Myself:

My icons have all disappeared!
Conky is fighting for supremacy with the ROX pinboard. The icons won't show up where Conky is, but will show up around the Conky parameters. Apparently there's a workaround, but I'm still working on it. Reference: Question 5

Wbar has disappeared!
Restart Wbar by typing killall wbar and then /root/Startup/wstart to start Wbar again.

How do I tweak Conky to fit my resolution?
Start by changing these variables in /root/.conky/themename/conkyrc:
Code:
minimum_size <width goes here> <height goes here>
maximum_width <width goes here> <height goes here>

Minimum size should be your screen resolution to start off with, then you can experiment and cut the values down to see how small you can make the Conky without chopping parts of it up (if you still care about seeing your icons) Maximum should be your screen resolution.

After that, look for the TEXT section. "voffset" is the vertical position of the variables that follow after it and goto is the horizontal position of the variables that follow after it. Play around with the values to get a feel for it.

How can I add my own themes to Conky Switcher?
Conky themes are kept in /root/.conky/themename. The Conky configuration file should be named "conkyrc" and kept in its theme folder. There should also be a picture of width 400 called "preview.jpg". This obviously is the preview picture you see on the left.

I downloaded a Conky file and it doesn't work!
First thing I usually do is look for all paths in all files and set them correctly. Most of the time they are set to the theme's author's home directory Confused so change them to the correct locations. Besides path and screen resolution related errors, sometimes there are calls to programs you don't have. Try running Conky manually with:

Code:

And look at the errors. Either install the program missing or delete the line out of the TEXT section in conkyrc.

Sample themes included in ConkySwitcher

Conky Lua Rings
The famous Conky lua rings. Unfortunately the creator never gave them a name so I guess "Conky Lua Rings" is the official name? 3 colors, blue, green and orange. I've disabled the Fedora, Mint and Ubuntu logos, but if you uncomment the line you can set it to display a Puppy logo instead.

Bionic
I've disabled the wireless monitor because it doesn't work on my setup, but if you want to try it, you can enable it again. An organic looking Conky? In case you couldn't tell- Conky is on the right of the screen Wink

Analog Clock
A simple analog clock added by Jemimah. If you care to look into its folder and adjust the config file there are a host of different clock faces included.

Last edited by battleshooter on Thu 08 May 2014, 22:04; edited 5 times in total
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 04:44    Post subject:  

Are you using wbar too or just conky?
Have you tried this with Puppy 5.3?

battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 05:02    Post subject:  

Hey Lobster,

Yeah, I've been using Wbar with Conky. They compliment each other well Smile I haven't tried this on 5.3 yet. Only on 5.28.

battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 19:43    Post subject:  

Added 2 new themes that can be used with or without Conky switcher. They will install to /root/.conky
konaexpress

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:15    Post subject:  

Stupid question for you guys. Conky is cool but a pain to use for a mouse guy, how hard would it be to make a program in Python, Gambas or Bacon to import/export/inventory and replace pre made Conky files?
stu90

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:30    Post subject:  

konaexpress wrote:
Stupid question for you guys. Conky is cool but a pain to use for a mouse guy, how hard would it be to make a program in Python, Gambas or Bacon to import/export/inventory and replace pre made Conky files?

Not sure about Python, Gambas or Bacon - but for a simple conky theme switcher say with a drop down menu of available themes not hard at all using Yad for the GUI.
konaexpress

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011, 14:40    Post subject:  

stu90 wrote:
konaexpress wrote:

Not sure about Python, Gambas or Bacon - but for a simple conky theme switcher say with a drop down menu of available themes not hard at all using Yad for the GUI.

Shocked Question
stu90

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011, 15:00    Post subject:  

konaexpress wrote:
stu90 wrote:
konaexpress wrote:

Shocked Question

Yad is a GUI for bash scripts - i think it comes already installed in most of the new pups now - just type yad in terminal to find out.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58306

Here is a simple Yad conky theme changer and theme adder. Not sure if it works with battleshooter's Lua or not but does work with standard conky.

remove the fake .gz from then end of the script file name - and make it executable and click on it to run.
conkyt.gz
Description  remove the fake .gz from then end of the script file name - and make it executable.
gz

Download 
Filename  conkyt.gz 
Filesize  2.05 KB 
Downloaded  867 Time(s) 
battleshooter

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011, 18:15    Post subject:  

konaexpress wrote:

Hey konaexpress, that's what I was trying to do with Conky switcher:

Basically clicking on the Conky theme you want, will set it up to run.

To install new themes, click on a theme pet, like these ones:
Bionic
Conky Lua Rings

stu90 wrote:

Not sure if it works with battleshooter's Lua or not but does work with standard conky.

Interesting, I'll test it out. I think it should work with Lua if all it is doing is just pointing to a conkyrc file to use.

einar

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:44    Post subject: WoW  

can i use this in the upcoming Saluki ? or LH64 ?
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 19:35    Post subject: Re: WoW  

I'm not sure about the Conky pet and the Conky Switcher, but the themes will certainly work because they are just text files and images designed to work with Conky.
xfirebg

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:04    Post subject:    

battleshooter , man you are awesome! Thanks for the tutorial!
XBlackChaosX

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2012, 19:33    Post subject: Re: Conky With Lua
Subject description: Beautify your desktop with Conky

battleshooter wrote:

Step 1:
In the file /root/.xinitrc after the line: rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin add the line feh --bg-scale /root/.background so it looks like this:

Step 2:
In the file /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg add these lines to the end of the file:

Code:
feh --bg-scale $IMAGE
cp -f $IMAGE /root/.background

From here you can run a conkyrc file with:

Code:

I'm kinda new to puppy or linux for that matter so i honestly didn't understand the instructions, i think these themes look sick but i don't have the slightest clue as to how to install it since i didn't get what you were saying. Can someone please explain this to me in a way that a linux noob like myself can understand?
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2012, 07:47    Post subject:  

@xfirebg
Thanks man Smile

@XBlackChaosX
No worries we were all inexperienced once. Smile

First off what Puppy version are you using? These instructions were written for Puppy 528 without real transparencies enabled.

Page 1 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Eye Candy
Jump to: