read, annotate and correct a pdf or docx thesis

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
oui

read, annotate and correct a pdf or docx thesis

#1 Post by oui »

read, annotate and correct a thesis delivered as pdf and/or docx (for windows 2007) and including spread sheet parts

how to do that so that the author really can enjoy to use it :idea: after it is done (especially can see directly, what you did do!)?

The last question in this thread is special important as well as the processing of the correction within integrated spread sheet elements.

Note:

LibreOffice-3.4.0_en-GB.sfs seems don't to open the document properly.

LibreOffice-3.3.0_beta2.sfs opens it better but after that breaks if you try to save in the original format alt. change main parts of the presentation after you did save in odt ! and after that divers functions of LibreOffice seems to work bad if you continue to process the document...

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

When docx files don't open correctly in openoffice, one option is to install wine and microsoft wordviewer, open the document in that, select everything and copy and paste into openoffice.

PDF cannot be corrected.
The last question in this thread is special important
Are you saying something is wrong with Openoffice's change tracking? Is it not compatible with Word's or something?
You could always try Google Docs or something. Or convert to .doc and use Softmaker Office 2008.
as well as the processing of the correction within integrated spread sheet elements.
Oh, that sounds tricky. I have no idea how Openoffice will handle that, or if it will work well with the copy from wordviewer method.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Thank you very much disciple.

The problem is more complex as I did admit yesterday: The thesis were writen with Word but in the Apple OS and it seems there are yet differences between the same software for Apple OS and for M$ :oops: ...

So that we proceed differently. I did receive the thesis one time more now in Word 2000 readable format on the only one Windows XP with have yet because of internet banking with chip card (it is not possible in Linux) and we can use in Word 2000 the function Extra > show corrections >> on screen . it seems to work and probably it works also in the Apple system...

concerning PDF, your info is not completely true: with pdfedit (download here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/ ) you can process a lot of PDF files if they are in free writable. but as I did immediately get an error message concerning libaudio :lol: as obligatory dependence in a pdf tool, I did fast uninstall it: some Linux developers are really a bit too tricky...

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

I have had a reasonable amount to do with pdfedit over the years. It is only really suitable for correcting very small typos, and even that isn't practical with PDFs generated by some software (which likes to store the text in very tiny blocks). It might be possible with podofobrowser too, but it would have the same limitations.
Even Adobe professional is not much better.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

I should have mentioned that the freeware Foxit Reader (windows version) can annotate pdfs. I don't know about the latest version, but older versions could run in Wine.

Apparently Evince and I think Okular can also annotate PDFs.
Flpsed can too, but only by converting to postscript and back.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

It looks like the only annotations Evince supports adding are still comments (no highlighting or drawing tools). The feature is kind of hidden away - switch the sidebar to showing annotations and then you'll see it.

And Okular may only save annotations into a separate metadata file (not readable by Acrobat Reader), not into the PDF itself.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER