RSH

#141 Post by RSH »

The original line says:

Code: Select all

!define PUPPY_SFS "lupu_520.sfs"
Looks like yours.

Code: Select all

!define PUPPY_SFS "lazy_528.sfs"
I have just changed the lupu_520 to lazy_528. Only removing spaces came to success.

Don't know why... :?

However, i did it two times and the second time i did it running the first created and installed puppy setup.

This your work is really fantastic and it makes the whole thing i am working on for about the last six months going perfect. It offers me new ways to provide puppy in a (imho) very special way and maybe turning some vegetables back into human. :D

More to come...

Btw: I did it all using puppy without pupsave. Using wine.sfs.

Thanks for that!!!

RSH
Attachments
setup.png
(59.43 KiB) Downloaded 1907 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

noryb009

#142 Post by noryb009 »

531 and 531 PAE have been uploaded, sorry about the delay.

Link.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#143 Post by Lobster »

many thanks link added here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy53
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PenguinPupLin

Quickset wary 511

#144 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks so much Shinobar for the quickset wary511 windows installer. I installed it on my Acer Travelmate notebook(from 2002) WinXP OS and everything works fine;merely changed the screen resolution to 1024x768,updated SeaMonkey to ver 2.5,etc. That was two days' ago. Today,I installed the gtk 2.28 lib file (because Seamonkey 2.5 requires at least 2.20 or higher,etc) and rebooted the PC to try another distro and saw this message :...Terminated. #Journal commit I/O error. Later when I try to get back into Wary 511,my screen was almost blank, i.e. xserver (vesa) was garbled. I tried xorgwizard a few times but to no avail. Any help appreciated.
Btw,is it recommended that I upgrade it to Wary 522 by copying the necessary files to the same subfolder? If not advisable,it's ok as it has worked well for me so far and I've tested Wary 522 and the touchpad mouse pointer would hang for no reason sometimes.
I think my pupsave file is damaged,so I booted into WinXP to delete it,then reboot into Wary511 ram mode and created a new pupsave;now it's working alright. Btw,tested Wary522 on the same noteboot but my synaptics touchpad mouse as well as the usb mouse that I plugged in would hanged in xvesa(xorg doesn't work),so I guess I would stick with your quickset wary511 which has been running fine so far. Thanks.

PenguinPupLin

Quickset Wary 511

#145 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Hello, my Quickset wary 511 keeps getting "journal commit I/O error" whenever I reboot or shutdown. It was installed using Windows Installer-V1.1 released on my WinXP notebook. Before,my pupsave was corrupted after installing some programs in wary 511, after which I had to delete it in windows and reboot in Wary511 RAM mode to create a new one. And now again after installing and removing a few pets and packages, the journal commit I/O error problem resurfaces but surprisingly I can still boot into Wary511. Apart from this problem, I'm very happy and thankful for Shinobar's quickset wary511 windows installer as it has been working fine on my 10-yr-old Acer travelmate TM632 notebook. Is there anything I should do or look out for? Kindly advise.

Latest: The "journal commit I/O error " disappeared after I delete the puppy.swp that I created and use swapfilemanger to build a new one.

PenguinPupLin

Pupsave creation problem - Puppy Linux 528 Windows Installer

#146 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Hi, I used the windows installer in the 1st post to set up Lucid Puppy Linux 528 but could not create a savefile upon reboot or power off, the screen simply blanked off. It didn't even asked me if I wanted to create one. Exiting to prompt also resulted in blank screen.

My system is Windows Vista SP1 32-bit OS with Core2Duo 2.66GHz CPU, 3GB RAM and Radeon HD5450 512MB graphics card.

Slacko 5.3.1 installed and ran without a hitch. Lucid Windows Installer was the second one I tried. Both were checked for md5sums integrity to be matching.

My understanding is that the second windows installer onwards will automatically edit the menu.lst and copy the core puppy files in the created subdirectory. FYI, a full defrag in Windows was also done,it took me 3 hours.

Yes,my harddisk has a hidden recovery partition, so C: is recognised as sda2 and root is hd0,1.What went wrong? Please advise. TIA.

ICPUG

#147 Post by ICPUG »

There is nothing wrong with the Windows Installer. You would get this with the Live CD as well.

The problem is an incompatibility between Puppy and your graphics card. This has been noted for various versions of Radeon before. A search of the forum would find other people with this problem and how some have solved it. I think running with a vesa driver may solve the problem but this is a rather drastic solution as other graphic features (prefered resolution) may not be available with vesa.

I don't have a radeon so cannot suggest a solution.

Regarding the save file. One user created a blank one manually and saved it in the same directory as the puppy sfs file. It will then be seen at start up and perform OK.

PenguinPupLin

#148 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks for telling me. Only managed to manually create a lupusave.3fs using the simplesave.pet.

Searched in vain for a solution to my Radeon HD5450 problem with lupu528. Used quickpet > Drivers > Test your graphics card, then downloaded the recommended ati_catalyst_10.10.lucid.pet driver but upon reboot found all the desktop icons greyed out except quickpet; even wifi failed to connect and had to be wired to do so.

This Radeon HD5450 with Puppy Linux 528 is real disappointing,frustrating, a PITA. Just my luck. The saving grace is Slacko 531 and Lighthouse Pup 503 both work fine,quite consoling.

PenguinPupLin

Radeon HD5450 issue with lupu528

#149 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Solved : Ahh,the pain has finally subsided. Just to share my encounter.

First,thanks to ICPUG's advice to manually create savefile first, which I did courtesy of the simplesave.pet by stu90;thus bypassing the blank-screen-unable-to-create-savefile-problem.

Second, using quickpet>drivers>test your graphics card, and then accepting to download and install the recommended ati-flgrx-10.10-catalyst.lucid.pet didn't really solved my Radeon HD5450 card issue - the ati driver failed to load properly or performed with issues and all the desktop icons saved quickpet were greyed out.

Third, uninstalled the said ati 10.10 driver and used vesa.

Fourth, compiled the ati flgrx catalyst driver using the latest version 11.12 from AMD. Still the desktop icons were greyed out.

Fifth, downloaded and replaced the lupu528.sfs with the latest updated one 528.004 after having come across it on the web. Presto! the greyed icons were restored to original colourful state!

Lastly,perhaps,and on hindsight,provided I was aware of the updated lupu528.004.iso in the beginning, if I had straightaway replaced the original iso with the updated version,it might have saved me a lot of heartaches. :roll:

Latest: Running lupu528.004 in RAM mode with Radeon HD5450 still gives reboot/poweroff - no savefile option, just blank screen. Have to resort to creating blank savefile,running vesa and installing appropriate ati driver as above.

ICPUG

#150 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks for that detail on how you solved your problem. How big is that driver? Can we get it uploaded somewhere so other users can get it without having to compile it for themselves?

shinobar

Mirror

#151 Post by shinobar »

noryb009 wrote:531 and 531 PAE have been uploaded
Mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

PenguinPupLin

#152 Post by PenguinPupLin »

ICPUG wrote:Thanks for that detail on how you solved your problem. How big is that driver? Can we get it uploaded somewhere so other users can get it without having to compile it for themselves?
The usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so is 34m size. Is this the right one? Sorry,you're talking to a newbie.

Anothing thing,I discovered a hitch - while report video glx showed the fglrx driver is used,the AMD Catalyst Control Center>Display Manager>Display Properties(for my Samsung Syncmaster 931C LCD panel) didn't show anything,no resolution or refresh rates, until I select Multi Display as Single Display Desktop. I guessed this is a problem with my problematic Radeon HD5450 graphics card. Apart from this,so far so good.

Let me know where or how I can upload it. Sorry,I have yet to learn how to make a pet.

ICPUG

#153 Post by ICPUG »

I'm conversing with PenguinPupLin via PM regarding the driver as it is not really specific to the Windows installer. If we get a means of disseminating the solution to others I'll announce it somewhere.

noryb009

Re: Mirror

#154 Post by noryb009 »

shinobar wrote:
noryb009 wrote:531 and 531 PAE have been uploaded
Mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/
Thank you very much! Added to the first post.

voltaire

#155 Post by voltaire »

Hi guys,

Forgive me for asking for a little support in here, but it probably won't get seen by the right people in the general area...

I'm trying to use the Windows installer because it's the only way with a IBM Thinkpad 570e which does not have any external drives, can't boot from USB or even PCMCIA, and doesn't have a network card. It originally came with Win98, but was upgraded to WinXP.

I installed the Puppy Linux 531.exe in WinXP and the Windows part of it went through with no problems. After reboot, it couldn't find the .sfs file.
So then I tried Quickset_Wary_Puppy_Linux_511.exe (after uninstall/reboot of previous attempt) and the Windows part also installed without a hitch, but upon reboot got basically the same error as the 531 install. At the splash screen whether I choose to "Load Save File" or not, I get:
-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE
-Searching for Puppy files in disk drives... wary_511.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...
-/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

So then I go back in through Windows and in C:\Wary-511 there IS a wary_511.sfs there along with the other few files in that dir. I also see the gldr and Grub_GUI.gz in C:\

So any ideas of what to try? I'm kind of at the end of my rope trying to get a linux running on this laptop without any other way besides Windows installers. (Out of desperation, I've also tried the Wubi installer for Ubuntu and the Joli Windows installer... predictably, no joy with those...)

Do you think the issue may be related to this originally being a Win98 OS which was upgraded to XP? I think I read something somewhere about issues with 98...

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I think I'm gonna go try that Debian Windows installer now as a final act of desperation... I'd MUCH rather get good 'ole Puppy working though!

RSH

#156 Post by RSH »

voltaire wrote:Hi guys,

Forgive me for asking for a little support in here, but it probably won't get seen by the right people in the general area...

I'm trying to use the Windows installer because it's the only way with a IBM Thinkpad 570e which does not have any external drives, can't boot from USB or even PCMCIA, and doesn't have a network card. It originally came with Win98, but was upgraded to WinXP.

I installed the Puppy Linux 531.exe in WinXP and the Windows part of it went through with no problems. After reboot, it couldn't find the .sfs file.
So then I tried Quickset_Wary_Puppy_Linux_511.exe (after uninstall/reboot of previous attempt) and the Windows part also installed without a hitch, but upon reboot got basically the same error as the 531 install. At the splash screen whether I choose to "Load Save File" or not, I get:
-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE
-Searching for Puppy files in disk drives... wary_511.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...

So then I go back in through Windows and in C:\Wary-511 there IS a wary_511.sfs there along with the other few files in that dir. I also see the gldr and Grub_GUI.gz in C:\

So any ideas of what to try? I'm kind of at the end of my rope trying to get a linux running on this laptop without any other way besides Windows installers. (Out of desperation, I've also tried the Wubi installer for Ubuntu and the Joli Windows installer... predictably, no joy with those...)

Do you think the issue may be related to this originally being a Win98 OS which was upgraded to XP? I think I read something somewhere about issues with 98...

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I think I'm gonna go try that Debian Windows installer now as a final act of desperation... I'd MUCH rather get good 'ole Puppy working though!
Try LazY Puppy. It comes also as win-installer. Link below...
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

shinobar

wary_511.sfs not found

#157 Post by shinobar »

voltaire wrote:-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE

It seems the kernel issue, that is the disk driver cannot handle your hardware.
Older version of Puppy may run, but the winodws installers provide only Puppies 5.x at this point of time...
There is a chance you try the Unetbootin with old(4.x) Puppies.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

By the way, how did you upgrade the Win98 to XP? I think you need some boot up media other than the HDD for the sake of an accident on the HDD.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Aitch

#158 Post by Aitch »

voltaire

IF you have a floppy disc in your 570E you can boot from an external USB or CD using plop boot manager, or one of these dos boot utilities downloaded and saved to disk

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

I got a 560 and 570 running puppy 2.14x and 4.21 quite well a few years back, and even added usb2 and network via pcmcia adapters

Tough old machines, but need bios update and maxram .... :D

Aitch :)

voltaire

#159 Post by voltaire »

Wow, three replies in less than 24 hours, thanks guys! Before I gave up last night, I tried the Debian Windows installer and it looks like it will work, but I quit before doing any partitioning, because I want Puppy damn it!
Try LazY Puppy. It comes also as win-installer. Link below...
Thanks! I'll try this first. <fingers crossed>
It seems the kernel issue, that is the disk driver cannot handle your hardware.
Older version of Puppy may run, but the winodws installers provide only Puppies 5.x at this point of time...
There is a chance you try the Unetbootin with old(4.x) Puppies.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Thanks. I was looking at Unetbootin, but figured that the result would be the same as with the two Windows-installer Puppys I already tried. I'll try a 4.x if the LazY Puppy doesn't work.
By the way, how did you upgrade the Win98 to XP? I think you need some boot up media other than the HDD for the sake of an accident on the HDD.
IF you have a floppy disc in your 570E you can boot from an external USB or CD using plop boot manager, or one of these dos boot utilities downloaded and saved to disk...
I was given this laptop by someone who just wanted the data off of it, and I could keep it afterwards. He doesn't have/can't find the proprietary external drive that it once had, and since it can't boot from USB... here I am! I got his data off via thumbdrive, and now I just want to breathe a bit of life into this thing, since it's just too slow with XP to use for my purposes. If the HD ever dies on it, I'll probably cannibalize the LCD out of it and try to use it in my old ThinkPad with a broken screen.

Anyway, thanks for responses/ideas, I'll try them out tonight.

[/quote]

PenguinPupLin

#160 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Installed using the Windows Installer Slacko 531 on my friend's WinXP desktop PC. It was running fine the past few days until today when suddenly I couldn't boot into the menu after selecting "Start Puppy Linux" which returned the following error message:

Try (hd0,0): NTFS5:No grldr
Try (hd0,1):invalid or null
Try(hd0,2):invalid or null
Try(hd0.3):invalid or null
Try(fd0):invalid or null
Error:Cannot find grldr in all drives.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Tried reinstalling the 531 Windows Installer, didn't help, merely created another Slacko 531 boot code in the menu.lst

Thought it was missing the glrdr.mbr, so copied it over from another machine but no joy.

Uninstalled everything,including the pupsave as I've made a backup,then reinstalled the Windows Installer, again no luck.

Yesterday, all I did was to run the lupufy-slacko.004.pet,installed abispell for abiword and surfed the Internet;the day before,changed the avg antivirus in WinXP to avast - it was still working alright when I turned off the PC for the night.

This is somewhat embarrassing as I was intending to introduce my friend to try Slacko this way. Hope somebody can help me fix it before he comes to collect his PC back; luckily,I didn't mess up his WinXP.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.