Can't shutdown from menu or command-line

Booting, installing, newbie
jcmoral

Can't shutdown from menu or command-line

#1 Post by jcmoral »

Hi all, I did a full install of Puppy 5.3.1 Slacko on an HP zt1000 laptop (1.2GHz P3, 256MB of RAM).

Trying to shutdown or restart from the menu results in the screen blacking out with the laptop still running. When this happens I need to push the power button to turn it off. Upon next boot the OS complains about the previous shutdown not being clean.

On the command-line "wmpoweroff" does the same thing (black screen, laptop running, OS complains on next boot).

On the command-line "poweroff" will freeze the screen. However, when I push the power button, I hear a "woof" and the laptop shuts down cleanly (no complaints on next boot).

This laptop is going to be used by my dad, would be really nice to get shutdown from the menu working. Thanks!

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

If you boot Puppy using grub, you might be able to get that PC to shut down correctly by adding "pci=noacpi" to the kernel line.
You could also try "acpi=force".
The first one worked for me with a PC that failed to boot all the way and it also shut down correctly.
But it depends on the computer.
Sometimes it takes a bit of experimenting with kernel parameters to get the PC to work the way you want it to.

jcmoral

#3 Post by jcmoral »

Hi, unfortunately neither of those options alone or together work.

Edit: Everything else is working perfectly: wireless is working and I've never seen this laptop so responsive (previous OS was XP, which was sluggish).

Amgine

#4 Post by Amgine »

jcmoral wrote:Hi, unfortunately neither of those options alone or together work.

Edit: Everything else is working perfectly: wireless is working and I've never seen this laptop so responsive (previous OS was XP, which was sluggish).
I am having the same problem, I can do everything but shutdown, my other USB that has Slacko does just fine.

I did a fresh reinstall too.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Get latest 5.3.3 Slacko (currently being tested)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 569#596569

Provide feedback (including your specific issues if not addressed)
It is your OS - feedback to developers at this critical time, enables you and the community. Believe me you will learn loads. :)

Let's get this slacko sizzlin'

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Amgine

#6 Post by Amgine »

Lobster wrote:Get latest 5.3.3 Slacko (currently being tested)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 569#596569

Provide feedback (including your specific issues if not addressed)
It is your OS - feedback to developers at this critical time, enables you and the community. Believe me you will learn loads. :)

Let's get this slacko sizzlin'

8)
Thanks Lobster

This happened twice, after a fresh install, I formatted ext3. Added pretty much the same applications..

Is there a Error report log?

I will give that a shot.

jcmoral

#7 Post by jcmoral »

Ok, will try that.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

[/quote]
Is there a Error report log?
I will give that a shot.[/quote

Bravo. Stay frisky.

/tmp/udevtrace.log,
/var/log/messages
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Amgine

#9 Post by Amgine »

Thanks I am trying it now, it looks nice.

jafadmin

#10 Post by jafadmin »

I solved the problem for myself by using a reworked rc.shutdown that Barry posted in this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73122

jcmoral

#11 Post by jcmoral »

^
Thanks for the info, unfortunately both scripts there froze the screen. Holding down the power button afterwards did result in a clean shutdown. I'm going to try Wary since this is an old laptop. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that Puppy.

Peterm321

#12 Post by Peterm321 »

Thanks for the info, unfortunately both scripts there froze the screen. Holding down the power button afterwards did result in a clean shutdown.
When run as Root in a command window, the command

Code: Select all

/bin/busybox poweroff  -f
is probably the most drastic way to shutdown a system apart from holding down the power button, but it should at least show that the failure to poweroff is not a hardware issue, but rather something in the shutdown routines that is stalling the system.

Amgine

#13 Post by Amgine »

Peterm321 wrote:
Thanks for the info, unfortunately both scripts there froze the screen. Holding down the power button afterwards did result in a clean shutdown.
When run as Root in a command window, the command

Code: Select all

/bin/busybox poweroff  -f
is probably the most drastic way to shutdown a system apart from holding down the power button, but it should at least show that the failure to poweroff is not a hardware issue, but rather something in the shutdown routines that is stalling the system.
Where can I view the "Shut down routines?" On my end I know its not a hardware issue, since it did the same on two computers.

Peterm321

#14 Post by Peterm321 »

Where can I view the "Shut down routines?" On my end I know its not a hardware issue, since it did the same on two computers.
I cant speak for other configurations or systems, the routine that appears to be intended to run on my system is in the file:
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

This routine appears to be more or less about finding and saving settings to a suitable savefile. I have a full HD install & dont use a save file, so long ago I replaced the shutdown script with something faster and simpler.

jcmoral

#15 Post by jcmoral »

@peterm

I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, since Windows, the Wary live CD, and Slitaz can all shutdown the laptop fine.

Sadly, I can't do any more testing since the laptop monitor died this morning.
Thanks for the help everyone.