How to configure ipw2200bg wifi?

Booting, installing, newbie
jeerie

How to configure ipw2200bg wifi?

#1 Post by jeerie »

Hi....I'm probably the newest and most uneducated re linux and I hate to ask stupid questions and not comprehend intelligent responses but here goes anyways

I'm on vacation tomorrow and want to spend time learning Linux as much as I can.

Problem is that I'd like to have a network connection initially but Puppy on LiveCD (which I find most appealing) doesn't pick up my network device i.e. the IntelPro 2200bg. Got an IBM T43 laptop and I can't install to hard drive (locked down) but do have a 1GB USB stick if that works.

As the program is booting off cd, I see that it sees IntelPRO wireless device but when Puppy is open , there is no connection available thru wag no matter how much I've tried.

I take it that there must be some configuring to do and I think that I do that in the terminal screen.....duh?

Any advice wouldd be highly appreciated.

Please be patient with step by step if you can.

:?

darkerror05

#2 Post by darkerror05 »

try the wireless network wizard. Then try wag.
-darkerror

billstclair

#3 Post by billstclair »

You didn't say which version of Puppy you're running. If it's 2.00 or 2.01, then you need the IPW 2200 firmware. Puppy has the drivers built in, but doesn't have the firmware for them.

Download http://s3.amazonaws.com/puppy/ipw2200-fw-2.4.pup , and then click on it in a ROX window to install. After that, WAG should work.

The .pup also includes a "wireless" script, but you probably have to change eth0 to eth1 in that to make it work (I'll fix that one of these days).

ronmar

#4 Post by ronmar »

I am running 2.01r2, and I am having the same exact issue described by "jeerie" with the same ipw2200bg, only on an ACER laptop.

I downloaded the firmware on my USB Flash Pen, rebooted to PUP OS, mounted the USB drive, opened with ROX, and a list of archives came up. WAG still states that it is not configured, but doesn't seem to be able to find my wireless network. I assume I have left something out in the process.

Also, Linux is completely new to me as well, and I stretching a little, trying to learn everything I can. Everything else is working great with the PUP OS. It also works perfect on my desktop, including my network connections.

Really appreciate your help on this.

jeerie

50/50

#5 Post by jeerie »

Got the ipw2200bg working thanks to billstclair.

Only problem is that I have to setup an ethernet connection to download the firmware. Works just great but then it won't save to cd when shutting down.

None of my settings, bookmarks,etc will save.

I have to start over every time with an ethernet connect first to get the firmware and do the setup.

Any ideas why I can't save...I do select save to cd.

Using 2.01 by the way.

Thanks again

Billcnz

#6 Post by Billcnz »

CD must be burnt for multi-session, you can use Burniso2cd from the Multimedia menu for this and of course the drive must be a writer.

Rickrandom

#7 Post by Rickrandom »

For saving settings to a USB stick, I had success with

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=16

I have had no luck with saving to CD/DVD on either of my 2 laptops.