Change color of the file selector in Rox Filer SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
Rattlehead

Change color of the file selector in Rox Filer SOLVED

#1 Post by Rattlehead »

I have configured my ~/.gtkrc.mine so that Rox Filer's background is black, but the problem with that configuration is that the file selector (the square that you move with the arrow keys) is also black, so it becomes invisible. Anybody knows what should I add to modify such color?
Last edited by Rattlehead on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

GustavoYz

#2 Post by GustavoYz »

Yep.
Right click in a Rox's empty area,click in 'Options', then in 'Colours' (one before the last) and then you could try to change 'Regular File','Directory' and 'Executable' in order to get more contrast.

Rattlehead

#3 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you for your answer, GustavoYz. I already tried that; it modifies the color of the fonts.

But what I want to change is the file selector, i.e. the square that you move from file to file using the arrow keys. Its default color is black, so when I turn Rox's background to black too, it cannot be seen. I know it is still there because pressing space does start the file selection.

GustavoYz

#4 Post by GustavoYz »

If I didnt got it wrong, that depends on the GTK theme.
Find out which one is yours, go to /usr/share/themes and open the right folder to find out the gtkrc of the theme.
Then open it in Geany and change the hexa color after this tag "selected_bg_color:".
You've a color chooser on Geany, so once selected that color open it to see if is the one you're looking for. Then change it and try if its please you.

Btw, if its not what you're wondering, post a screencap.

Rattlehead

#5 Post by Rattlehead »

Thanks Gustavo. I tried that, but the tag you mention does not appear in the file. I even searched in the gtkrc of other themes and it isn't there, either.

In any case, the name of the tag seems to suggest that it is some kind of background color, and that's not what I want to change, but the selector that I've marked with an arrow in the pink screenshot.

In the screenshot with black background you cannot see the selector because it melts with the background. :roll:
Attachments
scr_black.png
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 726 times
scr_pink.png
(9.61 KiB) Downloaded 744 times

trapster

#6 Post by trapster »

Choose or download a dark gtk theme. I like the default gtk theme in audacious which is aud-Default. The file selector border is white and rox background is black.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

GustavoYz

#7 Post by GustavoYz »

I'm pretty sure that you could change that in the gtk theme too, but your gtkrc.mine is overwriting everything.

As a last chance, you could use an image just for Rox's background.
Just got this from the official's rox page, add this to your gtkrc.mine:

Code: Select all

pixmap_path "/home/yourhome/images"
style "rox" = "default"
{
  bg_pixmap[NORMAL] = "roxbg.png"
}
widget_class "*Collection*" style "rox"

Rattlehead

#8 Post by Rattlehead »

Hey guys, thank you for your responses. I've been trying out your suggestions and, after a few things that didn't work, I can report success :)

Here is my .gtkrc.mine in case someone runs into the same problem (for example, Rox in Lighthouse Puppy shows the same problem):

Code: Select all

gtk-can-change-accels = 1 

style "rox" = "default"
{

fg[NORMAL]		= "#ffffff"
fg[PRELIGHT]		= "#ffffff"
fg[ACTIVE]		= "#ffffff"
fg[SELECTED]		= "#909090"
fg[INSENSITIVE]		= "#909090"

bg[NORMAL]		= "#080808"
bg[PRELIGHT]		= "#000000"
bg[ACTIVE]		= "#000000"
bg[SELECTED]		= "#080808"
bg[INSENSITIVE] 	= "#3f3f3f"
}
widget_class "*Collection*" style "rox"

And here's what I did:

I downloaded Audacious from their site, uncompressed it and, down at the end of the file tree, found a folder called 'skins', with a gtkrc file in it.

I did a text searched for 'bg', and found close to it a series of lines that start with 'fg' and the color is #ffffff. Copied them to .gtkrc.mine, restarted x and... bingo!

Just for the record, I also tried Gustavo's suggestion, creating a black square png and pointing .gtkrc to it as background. But the result was the same: black background, no selector visible.

As a bonus, along the process I have find the NUdark gtk theme, which I like a lot. Thank you very much guys. :)

[/quote][/code]
Attachments
scr_ok.png
(12.73 KiB) Downloaded 716 times