Chromium 18 in puppy 525 lucid

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
willem1940NLD

Chromium 18 in puppy 525 lucid

#1 Post by willem1940NLD »

Chromium 18 seemingly installs well in my lupu 525 and is automatically promoted to "default browser" .... however, I cannot get it to work, it does not open up.

Repeated download & setup no use.

Any more/other results known?

tomo3

Re: Chromium 18 in puppy 525 lucid

#2 Post by tomo3 »

willem1940NLD wrote:Chromium 18 seemingly installs well in my lupu 525 and is automatically promoted to "default browser" .... however, I cannot get it to work, it does not open up.

Repeated download & setup no use.

Any more/other results known?
Lucid-528-chromium-16-Lucid.pet
sh-4.1# /usr/bin/chromium
Illegal instruction
sh-4.1#

Try My New Pet :D

Chromium-18-Lucid.pet

willem1940NLD

#3 Post by willem1940NLD »

Cannot use that; it installs as "--temp-profile" and at opening only shows invitations to install all kind of Google stuff, including browser Chrome (not: Chromium).

Edit1: I went through most of the confusing pages and got it kind of working now. Still, under button "select default browser" it keeps showing as "--temp-profile". Will go on trying out this Chromium 18.

Edit2: Seems it cannot play wmv, avi .... etc.?

Edit3: Found out that, like older versions several years ago, Chromium still does not see VLC player so, little video.

Really a pity because the browser is quick and seems very stable, no crashes seen yet.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Do you have the VLC browser plugin?
Does it work in other browsers?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

willem1940NLD

#5 Post by willem1940NLD »

No idea where that "plugin" may be; already cound not find it some years ago.

I have put VLC as default mediaplayer and amended accordingly in Firefox "applications" on the media types where it showed; yes, works there.

See no settings in Chromium for mediaplayer(s) but it stubbornly opens Gnomeplayer for the most common videos .... which gnomeplayer cannot play, although I also loaded "ubuntu restricted" formats.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

I have put VLC as default mediaplayer
You mean in /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer?
and amended accordingly in Firefox "applications" on the media types where it showed; yes, works there.
Are you saying Firefox is set up so that all videos are opened externally in VLC, never embedded in the web page?

The standard way to tell a browser how to open particular types of file is to edit the file /etc/mailcap. It is a pain that Firefox also invented its own system - the world didn't need yet another place to specify default programs.
Of course if /etc/mailcap specifies /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer or something, rather than specifying gnome-mplayer directly, you should just need to edit /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer (or something :)).
for the most common videos .... which gnomeplayer cannot play
That's a pity - a sensible build of it should be able to play just as much as vlc.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

willem1940NLD

#7 Post by willem1940NLD »

Right, in /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer.

Thereafter: Firefox, preferences, applications ... not ALL videos but just the ones that showed the option to select "default mediaplayer"; evidently, that option is not shown if VLC cannot handle that format.

Maybe the Ubuntu Restricted Formats did not get installed in the right folder? My Gnome thingamy sure does not play, e.g, wmv or avi and worst of all: Chromium sees no VLC.

Found the same problem vlc-chrome/chromium on Web, always with some useless advices/suggestions, never a solution. Nice browser, yet not complete.

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Have you tried editing /etc/mailcap?

Actually, I now see a mention that chromium tries to use xdg-open to figure out how to open files. xdg-open is a shell script - have a look at it, too.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

willem1940NLD

#9 Post by willem1940NLD »

disciple wrote:Have you tried editing /etc/mailcap?

Actually, I now see a mention that chromium tries to use xdg-open to figure out how to open files. xdg-open is a shell script - have a look at it, too.
Maybe such could work (sometimes) for a technician ... which I aint.

Lots of nearcoming suggestions on the Web, not workable for the average User.

http://caleudum.com/play-vlc-and-chromi ... cktrack-5/

http://www.metaseek.nl/search/web/1/chromium+vlc
Last edited by willem1940NLD on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

Well, at least post the content of those two files then.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

willem1940NLD

#11 Post by willem1940NLD »

disciple wrote:Well, at least post the content of those two files then.
Cannot, as I am not a technician and moreover, would not know how to follow up suggestions safely; if I damage something, cannot repair, by lack of insight.

http://caleudum.com/play-vlc-and-chromi ... cktrack-5/

Just will have to wait till Chrom(ium) designers improve the lot.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

Cannot, as I am not a technician
You don't need to be a "technician"
1. Open each file in a text editor.
2. Copy the contents of the file and post it as text here.
if I damage something, cannot repair
If I did see the contents of those files and did suggest changes, you could just make a backup copy of the files, and change back to those if the suggestions didn't work.
This link you keep posting has got nothing to do with vlc and chromium working together. It is about the fact that the developers of both programs have chosen to prevent their program by default from being able to run as the root user (Puppy always runs as root), for "security" reasons.
1. This is of course unpopular around here, but it is not something either set of developers is going to "fix" - it is a design decision.
2. This issue shouldn't have anything to do with your problem, as you are evidently able to run both programs, so somebody must have already worked around the issue.
Just will have to wait till Chrom(ium) designers improve the lot.
Unless you can find a bug report for Chromium that matches your perceived problem, you should assume that they aren't going to "improve" anything. Chromium is trying to use gnome-mplayer to open the files. You need to find out what method Chromium uses to determine which program to open them with, because your Puppy is configured to tell Chromium to use gnome-mplayer.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

That first link doesn't work, but I think the others are about the VLC browser plugin. Didn't you say you don't have the VLC browser plugin? (and must therefore be trying to get the browser to play things externally in VLC, not embedded in the web page).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

willem1940NLD

#15 Post by willem1940NLD »

click

"Plugin" never found it on my computer (various distros) and neither for download on Net.

disciple

#16 Post by disciple »

So if you don't have the plugin and firefox is sending things to VLC to play outside the browser, any bugs relating to the plugin and chrome are irrelevant - your problem is that your puppy is configured to tell chromium to use gnome-mplayer, not VLC.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

willem1940NLD

#17 Post by willem1940NLD »

You may be right .... unlike in Firefox, I cannot check/manipulate "applications" in Chromium and importing from Firefox does not include preferences of the kind.

I do not know whether or not "the plugin" is on board, don't know how to check or what it looks like.

disciple

#18 Post by disciple »

The plugin is used to play things inside the browser, instead of opening a separate VLC window. If videos (other than Flash videos and maybe those new html5 video things that I've never seen) play inside Firefox, then you have the plugin is installed. But I don't think you do, because if you did I don't think you would need to configure Firefox to use VLC - it detects plugins automatically.

Some of your links indicate that the VLC browser plugin does not work properly in Chromium/Chrome, so you should probably try to find out how to tell Chrome to open things externally in VLC, instead of trying to find the browser plugin.
Alternatively, you could pursue the possibility of making gnome-mplayer and the gecko-mediaplayer play these file types. They play fine on normal distros without installing anything like a special "ubuntu restricted" package, but even on Ubuntu it sounds like they should work if that package is installed... If you want to pursue that option you might like to start a new thread.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

willem1940NLD

#19 Post by willem1940NLD »

Not quite .... because no open-source distro comes with the non-free codecs.

I traced and installed some 15 "restricted" packages, maybe partly double or useless, which now indeed make the traditional players reproduce some of the *.wmv, *.avi and *.mpeg .... opened by Chromium.

My impression is that these "formats" each are in fact bundles of formats, as for instance not all *.wmv will play in Linux, so the "restricted" surrogates in Linux are never complete.

Nevertheless, Linux is sufficiently attractive to me, even though I cannot have all I want.

disciple

#20 Post by disciple »

Not quite .... because no open-source distro comes with the non-free codecs.
I guess it depends what you call an "open-source distro" then. For example, I don't need to install any extra packages like that to play avi and most wmv files on Arch linux. It does need an extra package to play slightly more obscure formats such as "Windows Media Video DMO" and recent realaudio versions - that is because these require windows dlls which are not open source. Most wmv and avi files etc are played with fully open source code.

I think Ubuntu may not include asf (or mpeg2, or mp3 encoding) support because people (Microsoft in the case of asf) claim they own patents on these formats... at least in the backward US.
for instance not all *.wmv will play in Linux, so the "restricted" surrogates in Linux are never complete.
You can't play wmv files with encryption/DRM in Linux.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER