Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

Re: Updates again

#1081 Post by rerwin »

First, I corrected the replacement modeswitch package -- see my previous message. So the 4 of you who have downloaded the first attempt should re-download and install the new one before any further testing
Snail wrote:@rerwin Is it correct that the only one of your patches I currently require to be up to date is partch-7? Also, I cannot get my usb webcam/mike to get noticed by baconrecorder or MPlayer. It works fine with Skype and Guvcview handles the video side fine. Would your usb-modeswitch help?

Are these updates relevant to 3HD as well?
Yes, patch-7 contains all of my fixes since 002. I doubt that the usb-modeswitch package would affect your webcam/mike, because it is only for USB devices that include their Windows driver in what looks like a CD image. The switch changes the device so that it looks like a modem or network device -- whatever the device is intended to be.

I would think that both the patch and modeswitch packages should also work in 3HD, although I have not tried them there. I defer to playdayz as to whether they can be applied to 3HD. So, I suggest waiting for his approval.
Richard

Sylvander

Re: Updates again

#1082 Post by Sylvander »

rerwin wrote:First, I corrected the replacement modeswitch package -- see my previous message. So the 4 of you who have downloaded the first attempt should re-download and install the new one...
I've just now uninstalled the older modeswitch package [though all appeared to be working well :D ], and installed the newer version.

playdayz

#1083 Post by playdayz »

I would think that both the patch and modeswitch packages should also work in 3HD, although I have not tried them there. I defer to playdayz
Off the top of my head I dont' see any problem with applying patch-7 and the latest usb-modeswitch to 3HD. But please remember that doing so is experimental. If you are not having a problem with 3HD I would recommend backing up your luci save file before applying them--which is always a good idea anyway.

bigpup

#1084 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Barry has posted about some bug fixes and update to Puppy core programs. Any chance some of this stuff will make it into a Lucid Puppy update?
http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/timeline
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1085 Post by playdayz »

Barry has posted about some bug fixes and update to Puppy core programs. Any chance some of this stuff will make it into a Lucid Puppy update?
Some already has--in fact, some is/was in Lucid first, such as the snapmergepuppy fix. Usb-modeswitch update will be in the upcoming Testing ISO, in fact we will have 1.2.2 instead of 1.2.1--this is posted by rerwin also. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 173#595173

bigpup

#1086 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

don570

#1087 Post by don570 »

The program DVDisaster can be useful

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dvdisaster

It has several uses. The main use
is backup protection, however I expain how to
recover video files HERE

Volhout

updates

#1088 Post by Volhout »

PlayDayz,

Do you plan to put the updates in a (the) new iso ? I would definitely like the Pburn update, but not immediately. I can wait for 528-005 iso.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. I know 528 is in maintenance mode, but is there anyone working on cosmetics (themes/wallpapers/iconsets). Functionally 528 is great, but visually it could be "styled". i.e. Ubuntu may be great, but Mint has more "style". Is that something for 528-005 ? STU90 made a simlar remark some time ago. I use on all my puppies the i*P*A*D iconset from GCMartin, sinmply because they are consistent and stylish. I know there is MACPUP. But what can we do to 528 ????

More in the style of ... (I know it uses Conky, but it is more the style I want to empahsize ... and not only the FAENZA iconset).
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/9/21/ ... onkyair.jp
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7115/screen1mim.jpg
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7456/screenshotzp.pn
http://puppy.b0x.me/gallery/pictures/fl ... medium.jpg
Last edited by Volhout on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.

Volhout

My Own 528-004

#1089 Post by Volhout »

Just a snapshot ...
Still have to remove the word "Mac" from the wallpaper ....
Attachments
volhout528.png
(79.27 KiB) Downloaded 389 times

nooby

#1090 Post by nooby »

Those looked nice indeed :) SciFi theme too.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sage

#1091 Post by Sage »

Volhout : It's really tiresome that some folks care so little about their fellow correspondents that they refuse to resize their images so that the less advantaged members of society can also read these columns. 800x600@60Hz would be a suitable maximum, unless there are still a lot of 14" crt s about, in which case 640x480.

Perhaps John can appoint another more effective moderator with the necessary skills in due course.

playdayz

#1092 Post by playdayz »

Volhut, I would not be averse to a new-look desktop, but to be honest, I am not going to do the work ;-) In the meantime, instructions and links about how to achieve a new look would be appreciated by people I think--either in this thread or in the Eye Candy thread.

As Sage says in his plain-spoken way I have found it best to resize my desktop images to 599 pixels across--in fact, that is the only way I can get them to show up--I am not sure how you did it with larger images. Thanks.

Bigpup and Volhut, The new TESTING ISO is almost ready. It has Patch-7, usb-modeswitch 1.2.2, Pmusic 2.3.0, ffmpeg 0.8.9, ffconvert 1.2, sfs-load 1.3, PupControl 1.8.8, Sylpheed 3.1.2, mrpaint 3.40, PupApps 1.6.2, PupSnap 1.6.3, pprocess 2.2.4, Pburn 3.4.3, and all those drivers. By all those drivers it is meant that almost all of the extra drivers for Lucid that tempestuous has prepared--and it is quite a few, 41 actually! Because the drivers are placed in a "z-drive" the TESTING ISO can even boot in ram on a 256MB machine.

BTW, Pmusic 2.3.0 is already available as an upgrade for 5.2.8 in the first message of this thread. It is a largish pet because it also contains some dependencies (ffmpeg 0.8.9).
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

Picture size

#1093 Post by Volhout »

Sorry to have caused so much trouble with these larger pictures.
I did not upload them, I merely placed links in this post from these pictures that where already posted earlier in the Eye Candy thread.

Sage, I know bandwidth problems (had a few myself) and cost associated with large size files. I will edit the previous thread, and replace the pictures with links.

Playdayz, I understand your position, in not volunteering for the work. Although it would (potentially) only involve a different set of themes, wallpapers, icons, and maybe a different default lineup of icons on the desktop.

Volhout

P.S. I noticed that when you manually move the drive icons, you can never get them back in the position they where originally. If the snap grid is different.

playdayz

#1094 Post by playdayz »

it would (potentially) only involve a different set of themes, wallpapers, icons, and maybe a different default lineup of icons on the desktop.
That's true. There is a technical thing though--some things are easy to remaster, such as changing the wallpaper, but other things are a pain, such as changing icons. Changing from fbpanel might also be a pain. In other words, just because I can change something on my version does not automatically mean that it will remaster with those changes. At that level remastering can be a challenge--since the complications increase exponentially. I like nice clean easy remasters ;-) So pets that users could apply that would have everything for a new-look desktop might be an easier approach.

cthisbear

#1095 Post by cthisbear »

playdayz:

Any chance of updated Broadcom >> b43.

>> Dell Studio XPS in my post below....about the 9th.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=240

"""""""""

Maybe pemasu could help out as he did with Slacko.

b43-firmware-5.100.138.pet

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=51236

""""""""""""

Many thanks..............Chris.

Volhout

new icon

#1096 Post by Volhout »

Maybe I should ask this question in a different section, but I would like to have my desktop icons to have a meaning for me.

I have installed "Simetrix" on my puppies (ever since 412) and dragged a link to the desktop. (these packages do not insert into the puppy menu, understandable, since they are generic linux, and not aware of puppy specifics). That link visualizes as a "gear" icon.
Also other apps that I install (except puppy pets) show this gear icon.

What is the way to change that icon into something meaningfull to me (I have 3 gears at my desktop) ....

How's that done ??

It must be a stupid question, since I can't recall anybody asked this before..... So I will prepare for a RTFM answer.... blush ...

Eyes-Only

#1097 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Volhout!

Finally! Someone asks an easy question which I can answer! ;) You say the gear icons are on your desktop? If so then all you need to do is right-click upon them and select from the popup GUI ( where it reads "file 'Simitrex'" ): "Select Icon".

Clicking upon that will bring up a little box and you can go - using your Rox Filer - anywhere on your Puppy partition and select an icon to set/change the gear. ( I prefer "/usr/share/pixmaps" myself just to keep it simple - even if it means moving the programme's default icon from "/usr/share/icon/hicolor", etc. )

If the Simitrex programme isn't showing up in your menu that's easy enough to fix as well. :) You can take a desktop file in "/usr/share/applications" and make a copy of it there renaming it to "Simitrex.desktop". Then just change all the info inside to reflect your programme.

I've often had to do this very thing with old Fox programmes ( eq: Adie, Shutterbug, et al ) which I acquired without desktop files. I found the programme from the nearest matching catagory and used those to make a desktop file for them. When finished I simply ran "fixmenus" in a console and there they were in the menu! :) ( Sometimes JWM requires a restart for some reason, or is it an X reboot? Memory fails me... )

I hope this easy info helped in some small way Volhout?

Oh yes! And your desktop theme idea? Try looking back to some of the old Puppy threads where Warren/WhoDo made a Pup Pet which beautified version 3.00/4.00. I can't even recall the name of his project but OY VEY!... it was truly awesome at the time! :shock:

Ciao/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

EDIT: Oh! And btw Volhout? We NEVER believe in a "stupid" or "silly" question around here EXCEPT for this one: "The one which remains unasked." How will people learn and grow otherwise?
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

turboscrew

#1098 Post by turboscrew »

How is it with devx?

I have full install and Athlon XP 2100+.
At least iron gives me "illegal instruction".
The processor doesn't support SSE2.

Now that there is no uninstall for sfs's in case of full install, I'm a bit
worried if the devx works for me.

My idea is to recompile some programs that are compiled for newer processors.
I mean. if the devx is compiled with "pentium-m"-flag, the compiler probably doesn't work for me.

Volhout

icons

#1099 Post by Volhout »

Hi Eyes-Only

That did the trick. Since I was running a custom iconset from GCMartin, I had to find them in /usr/local/lib/X11/..... but my desktop looks much improved now.

Thanks !!

Volhout.

otropogo

#1100 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
Some already has--in fact, some is/was in Lucid first, such as the snapmergepuppy fix. Usb-modeswitch update will be in the upcoming Testing ISO, in fact we will have 1.2.2 instead of 1.2.1--this is posted by rerwin also. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 173#595173
Is anyone trying to fix the ntfs-3g issue with USB drives? I've posted on this problem several times now in more than one thread, and no one has shown any interest.

Just to recap, intermittently (but more often then not), when using an ntfs-formatted drive on the usb port (either USB2.0 or USB3.0) pmount gives an error message and mounts the drive read only. Occasionally, repeated attempts to remount the drive result in the drive becoming completely inaccessible.

I've experienced this with two such drives on two PCs under lupu 5.28. Both drives are Seagates (320GB Freeagent Go and 3TB Freeagent Goflex Desk), and are still using their factory formatted ntfs partitions.

Other Puppies and other Linux distros (such as Fedora), have never shown this problem with the same hardware.

Nor do I experience this problem with internal ntfs partitions on either of my two PCs with lupu 5.2.8, only on the USB ports.

Since I depend on these two external hard drives for backups, this glitch cripples lupu rather significantly for my purposes.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo