Puppy 5.28 multisession won't boot in Dell Optiplex GX620

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Luxeon

Puppy 5.28 multisession won't boot in Dell Optiplex GX620

#1 Post by Luxeon »

So, Puppy 5.28 multisession, which I used on my old Dell Dimension 4400, won't boot on my new (old) Dell Optiplex Gx620. Frugal puppy boots, but the screen is very dark. I believe it is due to the GX600 having a Radeon card...

Anyway, regarding the multisession, I have tried changing the boot order, but nothing helps.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Bob

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

If you still have the old machine:

perhaps you can use Pburn to add a tiny file (any file) to the CD/DVD and close it so it is no longer rewritable - that might work.

Alternatively, if you can move the CD/DVD drive (that burned and/or reads the CD/DVD) from your old computer to your "new" one - I think that would work.

My regards

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Luxeon, it sounds like you have frugally installed some version of Puppy in your new computer, and that it will boot.

If that's the case, does the computer have a DVD burner or a CD burner? (Which one?) If so, do you have available a rewritable DVD or CD?

If you have a DVD burner and a rewritable DVD, blank the DVD using Pburn, then, using either Menu -> Multimedia -> Pburn or Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, burn the Puppy iso of your choice onto the blanked DVD to create a multisession Puppy.

Luxeon

#4 Post by Luxeon »

Sorry for the delay, very busy these days!

Anyway, I do have frugal Puppy, Macpup and Slacko installed, and those work ok. Never had any conflicts. The computer has both CD and DVD burner. I used the DVD burner to create and run the DVDs.

I re-burned SlackoPup 5.3 to a fresh DVD+R using Burniso2cd on Puppy 5.28, and it boots ok.
At initial boot, it detected the frugal save file of Slacko, but I had the program ignore it.

I made a few minor changes, then went to shut down. I received the dialogue indicating that I had burned an open DVD, and could save to CD. I chose "save to CD," and this is what I got:

puppypc 16373 login: root (automatic login)
login [17863]: root login on 'tty1'
#root

At this point, nothing more happened. The session was not saved to DVD, and I had to press the power button to shutdown.

This is really strange. Any ideas?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Hmm, I've never seen that. I haven't tried making a multisession DVD of Slacko and you're the first person I've seen who's reported trying it. I have no idea what the problem could be. Perhaps you could post in the Slacko bugs thread and link to this thread?

But first, to see if the problem occurs only in Slacko, I'd suggest burning a non-Slacko version of Puppy and try to make a multisession. Use a rewritable CD or DVD if you have one, to save making a lot of disks you won't use. Wary and Racy Puppy are both recent and both have made good multisession DVDs for me. Try Wary. :)