How to make a Puppy Kiosk out of Lucid Puppy 5.2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
shadower_sc

ProCon Latte Update - Officially Released

#41 Post by shadower_sc »

Hello again Everyone,

This is just a quick note letting you know that ProCon Latte has had a new "Official Release" and is now "Officially" compatible with the newest release of Firefox v.6.02. I just ran a quick test and all seemed to work well. I will be updating my Kiosk to run the new "Official" release. I may also update my Instructions on making a Puppy Kiosk. I know there are a few things I could do better and now I have an excuse to do them. :-)

Sincerely,
-Joe-

shadower_sc

Making a Puppy kiosk using Lucid Puppy 5.28

#42 Post by shadower_sc »

I used the updated instructions and successfully created a Puppy Kiosk using Lucid Puppy 5.28.

The only main difference is in the rc.shutdown file.
You need to comment out Lines 632-741 to disable save on shutdown/reboot.

I also installed Acrobat Reader 9.4.7 using the .bin file from: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions
Step#1 Linux
Step #2 English
Step #3 Reader 9.4.7 English for Linux (.bin)
(Download Now)

Installing Acrobat Reader 9.4.7 also installs a plugin for Firefox that allows you to view PDF files inside the Firefox window.

shadower_sc

Public Fox Addon

#43 Post by shadower_sc »

I encountered an oddity in public fox. You have to set your password otherwise it will not re-open your bookmarks toolbar after you closed it.

shadower_sc

Firefox Full Screen Issue in Lucid Puppy 5.2

#44 Post by shadower_sc »

I had issues with Firefox not exiting from full screen correctly. I updated JWM and that fixed the problem. Here is a link to a pet that works with Lupu 5.28: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 74-w5c.pet

pemasu pointed me to this post where I got the link: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02646

shadower_sc

Syncing Clock with Psync

#45 Post by shadower_sc »

Automatic / Manual Time Sync
Step #1 Run /usr/local/psync/psync and setup the time.

Choose the Autostart option and it will create the file timesync.sh in the Startup folder.

Step #2 Create a button on the .jwmrc-tray that points to the timesync.sh script. (This manually sets the time, if there was no internet connectivity when you started the computer.)

Edit the file /root/.jwmrc-tray and add the following line:
<TrayButton pupup="Sync Time" icon=mini-clock.xpm">exec:/root/Startup/timesync.sh</TrayButton>

Step #3 Edit the /root/Startup/timesync.sh script. Add the following line to the top of the file after the first four commented out lines.

Code: Select all

[ ! "`grep 'ntp 123/tcp' /etc/services`" ] && echo -e "ntp 123/tcp\nntp 123/udp" >> /etc/services
(These are the first set of commands that run at the start of the psync script.) Apparently the service needs to be created otherwise timesync.sh will not work.

Notes:
You should Not Need to run the following commands:
export UTC=true
hwclock --hctosys --utc

It did not work correctly when I put the export and hwclock lines in the timesync.sh script. Every time I ran timesync.sh it set the time at later and later times. I think it would eventually come back around to the correct time, but that was definitely not what I was wanting it to do.
Last edited by shadower_sc on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

shadower_sc

Boot to Desktop without Having to setup xorg

#46 Post by shadower_sc »

playdayz shared with us how to boot straight to desktop from a Live-CD without having to setup xorg. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67393

One Great side effect of the magic that happens using his system is you get a generic resolution.

Puppy Linux has issues with the built-in radeon graphics on my old kiosk machine. When I run xorgwizard it comes out like I am looking through a REALLY dirty fish tank.

Using his workaround for xorg I get the highest resolution my monitor supports and it looks good.

Now I don't have to bang my head agains the wall trying to figure out something I just want to work.

greengeek

#47 Post by greengeek »

Just to clarify - will this kiosk allow usage of youtube, Facebook, and all the usual webmail sites? (as long as not specified in the whitelist)? cheers.

shadower_sc

Puppy Kiosk Whitelist

#48 Post by shadower_sc »

greengeek wrote:Just to clarify - will this kiosk allow usage of youtube, Facebook, and all the usual webmail sites? (as long as not specified in the whitelist)? cheers.
A Whitelist is a list of items/sites that are allowed. A Blacklist is a list of items/sites that are Not Allowed.

A Whitelist is by default more secure, because the person can Only go to the places you have specified.

A Blacklist is by default less secure, because the person can go Anywhere except for the places you have specified.

My instructions are designed around using the Kiosk with a whitelist, but the Blacklist functionality is built in to the programs/plug-ins I used. Which means it should be relatively simple to use a Whitelist or Blacklist with the Kiosk.