Classic Opera browser 12.16 [SFS] for Wary and Racy.etc

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Terryphi

#61 Post by Terryphi »

nooby wrote:This one being for wary and racy.
Would that mean it works good in Saluki too?
I don't use Saluki but it is apparently based on Racy so it probably will work.
Is it too different to work good in Lupu 528?
I have not searched if there exists Opera.SFS
especially for Lupu, I trust it does.
It probably will work with Lupu 528. Earlier in this thread it was reported to work with Lucid 525 and Slacko 5.3.1.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

nooby

#62 Post by nooby »

You are right. I am in lupu528-004 now and I used
seaside's SFS-exec and loaded the Opera 1162-1273
and use it now writing at Murga forum works good.
So thanks
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

PenguinPupLin

#63 Post by PenguinPupLin »

PenguinPupLin wrote:Glad to report your latest opera-11.61-1250.sfs also works well for my Lucid Puppy 528 (the updated 528.004.iso to be exact).

Thanks again for your contribution. Now using Opera 11.61 web browser to post this message.
I've reported it earlier for my Lucid Puppy 528-004 updated version.

Now, I wish to add it's also working for Lighthouse Pup 5.0.3 G-Mariner , after I've removed all traces of the earlier opera-11.51.pet and opera-11.01.pet.

Thanks, Terryphi for keeping the opera.sfs up-to-date.

Terryphi

#64 Post by Terryphi »

Thanks for another report, PenguinPupLin. I'll keep the updates coming.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

nooby

#65 Post by nooby »

Lighthouse Pup 5.0.3 G-Mariner

I am not sure if that was the one I looked into.
As I remember Lighthouse Pup 5.0.3 G-Mariner
can be based on Puppy 420 so it can be an older
kernel than what Terryphi has set up latest opera for?

But he would know such things
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Terryphi

#66 Post by Terryphi »

Nooby,

Linux kernels 2.6.29 and later require .sfs files built with Squashfs version 4.0. Earlier kernels required .sfs files built with version 3.0.

I package with Squashfs4 which is included in Wary/Racy and other Puppies in the 5.x series. Some earlier Puppy versions only have the older Squashfs3 and are therefore unable to handle the SFS file.

stevesr0

can this sfs be used with 4.2.1?

#67 Post by stevesr0 »

If the sfs is converted to an sfs 3 type, would this run ok with Puppy 4.2.1?

Steve

Terryphi

Re: can this sfs be used with 4.2.1?

#68 Post by Terryphi »

stevesr0 wrote:If the sfs is converted to an sfs 3 type, would this run ok with Puppy 4.2.1?

Steve
It probably should work converted to SFS type 3, Steve. I don't have Puppy 4.2.1 to test at the moment. Can you try? If we can run it on older Puppies that would be great!

Terryphi

#69 Post by Terryphi »

Some interest has been expressed in running my Opera SFS package on older Puppies ( kernel versions before 2.6.29 and with version 3 of Squashfs.) I have created a Squashfs3 version and it is available to test.

If you are interested in testing this on an older Puppy version please PM me and I will give you a download link. I do not want to post a link here because it is likely to cause confusion with the current Squashfs4 version.

PenguinPupLin

#70 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Just discovered one unusual problem: When trying to save or download a certain youtube clip, say using fastube for example, which in this case happened to contain both Japanese and English characters, the file name failed to appear,forcing you to type in manually.

The same thing,i.e. using the same opera-11.61 browser to save the same video clip with fastube,didn't happen in Windows. Could this problem be specific to Linux or an isolated case by me?

Not that it matters,just a minor issue. I guess we shouldn't expect two entirely different OSes to work quite the same.Maybe it's the Opera for Linux problem.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Terryphi

#71 Post by Terryphi »

PenguinPupLin,

Sorry, I know nothing about fastube. What is it and how does it interact with a browser? Have you tried with Seamonkey or Firefox? Is this a specifically Opera issue or a general issue with Puppy?

PenguinPupLin

#72 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Terryphi wrote:PenguinPupLin,

Sorry, I know nothing about fastube. What is it and how does it interact with a browser? Have you tried with Seamonkey or Firefox? Is this a specifically Opera issue or a general issue with Puppy?
FastestTube (sorry I got the name wrong) is just a browser extension, and there are many such video downloaders available, which enables you to download or save the flash video clips in the given formats and qualities,eg mp4-360p,flv-480p. I've just tested another one called "ExtendTube" with the same problem - no file name.

Surprisingly, these two are not available for SeaMonkey or Firefox. I then tried a different one called "Easy Youtube" in Firefox 10.0 and it worked alright - the file name appeared. So I guess it could be the particular extensions' problem with Opera and not a Linux-specific problem.

No big issue. Anyway,there are so many to choose from, bound to get one that works fine unless it turns out to be an Opera-specific bug with Linux,unlikely I think.

Terryphi

#73 Post by Terryphi »

PenguinPupLin,

What are the file extensions of the files causing the problem?

Terryphi

#74 Post by Terryphi »

PenguinPupLin,

I have done some research and tests with a multi-language file name and find that the problem you describe is not confined to Opera browser in Puppy. Firefox behaves in the same way. Obviously, to see Japanese characters you would need UTF-8 enabled on Puppy, the appropriate Japanese fonts on your system, and the appropriate encoding setting in the browser.

As you can see this is a complicated issue but is not confined to Opera in Puppy. If you wish to pursue this further it would be worth contacting forum member shinobar who lives in Japan and has done lots of work on the internationalisation of Puppy.
Last edited by Terryphi on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

PenguinPupLin

#75 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Terryphi wrote:PenguinPupLin,

What are the file extensions of the files causing the problem?
I've only tried to download either xxx.flv or abc.mp4 (not webm or aac) with Chinese/Japanese and English characters but it doesn't happen to all such files. Btw, I also have lang_pack_cjk-lupq-0.2.sfs and jre-1.6.0.30.sfs both from Shinobar loaded using SFS-Load on-the-fly v.1.3 and on every bootup.

And, you're right, taking your cue, I just enabled UTF-8 and the problem is resolved; apparently,loading the lang-pack alone is not sufficient. But,to complicate matters a little,it works alright in Firefox without UTF-8. Nevertheless, thanks for your expert advice.

Terryphi

#76 Post by Terryphi »

PenguinPupLin,

Try this with a file name with English and Japanese characters:

View>Encoding>Japanese>automatic detection.

I cannot test this myself because I do not have Japanese fonts on my Puppies.

Terryphi

#77 Post by Terryphi »

Good to hear it works. I had not seen your last post when I posted.

DaveS

#78 Post by DaveS »

Thanks for this. Saves me a load of work :) I have it running nicely in Slacko Beta. I put a symlink from /opt/opera/bin/opera to /root/my-applications/bin so that I can start it with the simple 'opera' command. :)
Thanks again.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Terryphi

#79 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to Opera 11.62 (build 1302).

This is another preview snapshot with a few minor bug fixes. If you have previously downloaded build 1273, and you are happy with it, there is no urgent need to download this build. You may prefer to wait for the final release of 11.62.

See first post in this thread for more information.

Digital_Dissident

Opera in Repos

#80 Post by Digital_Dissident »

Default Repos in Puppy Package Manager, updated within past 12 hours:

Opera 11.61: slackware-13.37-salix

Opera 11.61.1250: slackware-13.37-slacky

Opera 11.52: puppy-slacko