Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1121 Post by playdayz »

Booted again fresh...mouse lights up ..>> works

But immediately after the Personalise setting screen comes up,
it's dead in the water.

And now you've been taken to the dark side by ttuuxxx.
VW desktop.

On the bright side >> b43 broadcom is detected.
cthisbear, Good news on the broadcom anyway. The Testing ISO is experimental--with a lot of stuff. It is designed to test some new stuff and concepts rather than to be an immediate replacement for 5.2.8.004. We might play with variations of the Testing ISO for quite a while before replacing 5.2.8.004, if ever. Do you mean that after Personalize Settings the screen is frozen or that the mouse stops working? If the mouse is not detected you might try removing the usb plug and reinserting it in a different usb port.

I didn't know ttuuxxx had used the VW--well, it's a good one.

Pelo

pas de son / No sound

#1122 Post by Pelo »

Bonjour. Je vais abandonner cette distro. Il faut rajouter le flashplayer, et la carte son ne se met pas à jour ! Les autres distros fonctionnent
I Have tried again this distro, but she is under the others about sound.
I dont succeed in getting any noise from it.
I definitely give up.

peebee

B43 experiences

#1123 Post by peebee »

Hi playdayz

A pristine, manual, frugal install of the 528testing iso on my HP550 with B43 wifi.

Definite different behaviour compared to all other Puppies to date.

The wl driver is loaded instead of the usual b43 driver and the wifi is called eth1 instead of wlan0.

Things looked promising to begin with as I seemed to establish a connection (see screenies) with Barry's sns - but this did not survive a reboot - the error log is attached.

Then tried Dougal's Network Wizard - same behaviour - established an initial connection which then did not survive a reboot.

So tried Frisbee and the results were the same.....

I've seen some mention of blacklisting ssb and b43 - but I thought this was to get wl to load in the first place - ssb does seem to be loaded after the reboot - see attached lsmod output. I've tried blacklisting ssb but that doesn't seem to make a difference. The output from dmesg does seem to suggest that b43 and ssb are being loaded....

So for my b43 which is a 4311 with version 13 firmware - this new lupu does not work as well as the old version.

If there is anything else you'd like me to test then I'm very happy to do so.

[edit]After more "testing" I've found that Dougal's Network Wizard will reconnect after a reboot if the setup sequence is repeated but the saved profile is used....

I'm using wpa2 encryption - wonder if this is a factor??[/edit]

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lsmod.txt.gz
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
snslog.txt.gz
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
dmesg.txt.gz
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
ipinfo.png
(40.53 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
sns.png
(42.67 KiB) Downloaded 1324 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 22:07, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jim3630

#1124 Post by jim3630 »

528testing frugal install to ext4 hdd on hp dual core p6100 pfix=ram. wl driver auto-detected on eth1 with frisbee, wifi connection made and persistent through reboot.

enjoy the display characteristics, 1024x768 and connected to ext HDMI monitor the screen is filled on the laptop. all other puppies tried to date given the above leave the laptop monitor chopped on the sides giving a rather box appearance. good job!

display at 1600x900 showed same characteristics as above.

everything tried works so far. thanks
Attachments
SysInfo-Summary-120204.gz
(11.9 KiB) Downloaded 670 times

Volhout

First run OK

#1125 Post by Volhout »

Test image burned on CD, added Chrome pet.
Full install on EXT2 partition went flawless. Default screen resolution was 1024x768 via firstrun screen set to 1280x1024. No problems. Even internet via wireless worked instantly (using a USB type N dongle). Also after reboot, works flawless. Mail works OK. Chrome works, flash is working. installed some eye candy.

At shutdown I got the question to make a save file (this was full install). Why is that. I thought a full install didn't need a save file ? I must be wrong.

I am currently struggling with CUPS, it won't detect my USB connected printer, and there is no selection for USB in the manual "add printer". I'll spend some more time on this. But I fear it is a 528-005 bug, since earlier 528 cups version 1.4.3 does detect it, and this 1.4.3 version does not detect it.
It is a multi function USB device (scanner/printer/card reader) and none of it's functions is detected.

Volhout

P.S. I noticed you have the RT3090 support in this (thanks rerwin). I will try it on my eee-pc 1001ha also.
Last edited by Volhout on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 22:17, edited 4 times in total.

kevin bowers

#1126 Post by kevin bowers »

I have a brand-new full install of TESTING01a on a new MSI V-class P4 board. I am also having problems with Wi-Fi not surviving reboot, and here's a really weird one: on shutdown, the ps/2 optical mouse stays lit! Wi-Fi is rt61.
Edit: After playing with it for awhile, the Wi-Fi problem seems to have corrected itself. The mouse also stays lit when Windows XP shuts the computer down, so I have to believe I have a faulty board--it is a "refurbished" one.

All else seems good, basic stuff like sound (Realtek) and video, input-output all work, Google Earth runs on a 64 MB nVidea card, we all seem happy.

In case everybody else forgets: Thanks to all the devs, Playdayz and the whole crew, and as always to Barry.

cthisbear

#1127 Post by cthisbear »

"The Testing ISO is experimental

Understood.
When I first used lucid and Slacko...I was underwhelmed.
This sounds like a smart arse reaction....but it is not.

But 528 is a splendid release.

Creativity and fortitude, smart people, long term testing,
and sometimes hot responses from people like moi, have spurred
the creation of the best Puppy ever.

Forget the Ubuntu parts...and the whinges.
The best Puppy ever....new users....many old users.

Mind you I still use Puppy 4.3.1 for data recovery >> bad drives.

It ain't easy out there mate...and you have excelled.
Take your time....but this was a strange one.

"""""""""""

Can you possibly send our Saluki goddess jemimah any help >> b43.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=915

" cthisbear wrote:

Any chance of contacting playdayz for fixes.

" You guys gotta help me out and suggest relevant fixes.
I don't have enough room in my head to follow all the
various development threads and go full steam on saluki. "

"""""""""""""

" Do you mean that after Personalize Settings the screen is
frozen or that the mouse stops working? "

When Personalize Settings script/screen starts to run
the mouse dies.

"""""""""

"If the mouse is not detected you might try removing
the usb plug and reinserting it in a different usb port. "

Done that. Booted on different usb port. >> same result.

Replugged....different mouse....

used >> cntrl alt backspace to restart...still no result
and no power lights in the mouse....

seems as if usbs are cut off...switched off etc...Weird.

Chris.

PenguinPupLin

#1128 Post by PenguinPupLin »

From PPM in my Lucid Pup 528, I downloaded the FProt-6-Lucid antivirus package but it failed to install , no menu icon though the folder and files were created.

The readme file in /opt/f-prot says : To install, copy this folder to where you wish the install to be located
(for example /opt/f-prot) and run the 'install-f-prot.pl'.

Thought it would install automatically after download. What should I do now?

Any help appreciated.

playdayz

#1129 Post by playdayz »

this was a strange one.
cthisbear, Yeah, It does a lot different. Maybe we can learn some things to feed back into 5.2.8. The Broadcom driver is the one prepared by tempestuous. Maybe there is info that will help (the preference?). I thought the preference would go in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG in the PREFLIST but I notice that it is not in there in the TESTING ISO.

broadcom_sta-5.6.48.36-i486.pet from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 596#421596 referenced from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 464#448464 needs preference: "ssb:b43" 
I downloaded the FProt-6-Lucid antivirus package but it failed to install , no menu icon though the folder and files were created.
PenguinPupLin, I believe that F-Prot is a command line program, which doesn't have a menu entry.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 05 Feb 2012, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

PenguinPupLin

#1130 Post by PenguinPupLin »

snipped

PenguinPupLin, I believe that F-Prot is a command line program, which doesn't have a menu entry.
OK, get what you mean, for example, in ROXTerm, run "fpscan" with options; never expected this in PPM downloads. Thanks for pointing it out.

otropogo

#1131 Post by otropogo »

PenguinPupLin wrote:From PPM in my Lucid Pup 528, I downloaded the FProt-6-Lucid antivirus package but it failed to install , no menu icon though the folder and files were created.

The readme file in /opt/f-prot says : To install, copy this folder to where you wish the install to be located
(for example /opt/f-prot) and run the 'install-f-prot.pl'.

Thought it would install automatically after download. What should I do now?

Any help appreciated.
Have a look through the two pages of the following thread on this topic. It's been a while, so I don't remember the details, but I had a similar problem and solved it. Repost your results here, and if it still doesn't work, I'll try to help you further. I'm running fprot on my 5.2.8

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=15
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

peebee

#1132 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:The Broadcom driver is the one prepared by tempestuous. Maybe there is info that will help (the preference?). I thought the preference would go in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG in the PREFLIST but I notice that it is not in there in the TESTING ISO.

needs preference: "ssb:b43" 
Hi playdayz

I tried the preference ssb:b43 but it didn't help my reboot wifi fail to connect problem.

By trying various things I have found that if:
1. I use Dougal's Network Wizard to setup a profile for my wifi
2. I put dhcpcd into /etc/rc.d/rc.local
and 3. after reboot I right click on the network tray icon, bring the network down, right click again and bring the network back up then I do get a working wifi wpa2 connection on eth1 (after a message from the Network Wizard and a little green box saying "borderless success")

which seems to suggest that the new wl driver is working ok its just not playing correctly with any of the setup programs after a reboot.

A possible clue is that Frisbee seems to be trying to use wlan0 after a reboot instead of eth1 which the wl driver creates.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
frisbee.png
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 899 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

majorfoo

#1133 Post by majorfoo »

Booted live cd - no internet connection - had to set up manually

Did full install to ext4 partition and booted to desktop
Auto-connected to internet
Sound Ok

Installed Seamonkey-2.7, plus several other items from storage partition

So far, everything works properly

majorfoo

#1134 Post by majorfoo »

Added screensaver = Sherman's Aquarium
Attachments
screensaver.png
(38.95 KiB) Downloaded 876 times

kevin bowers

#1135 Post by kevin bowers »

I tried the preference ssb:b43 but it didn't help my reboot wifi fail to connect problem.

By trying various things I have found that if:
1. I use Dougal's Network Wizard to setup a profile for my wifi
2. I put dhcpcd into /etc/rc.d/rc.local
and 3. after reboot I right click on the network tray icon, bring the network down, right click again and bring the network back up then I do get a working wifi wpa2 connection on eth1 (after a message from the Network Wizard and a little green box saying "borderless success")

which seems to suggest that the new wl driver is working ok its just not playing correctly with any of the setup programs after a reboot.

A possible clue is that Frisbee seems to be trying to use wlan0 after a reboot instead of eth1 which the wl driver creates.

Cheers
peebee
My Wi-Fi problems have returned also. Sometimes SNS works properly on bootup, no apparent reason why it will or won't. Sometimes SNS will successfully configure wlan1, 2, or 3 instead of wlan0 (there is only one wireless card). Dougal's wizard announces success but fails to provide a connection. I'm confused, any suggestions? This rt61pci card worked well under 528.004, and still does under Windows. Thanks!

playdayz

#1136 Post by playdayz »

I'm confused, any suggestions? This rt61pci card worked well under 528.004,
Main suggestion is to use 5.2.8.004. The Testing ISO has a lot of innovation so report what doesn't work, but if something doesn't work then don't feel that you have to fix it in order to have the latest Lucid--the Testing ISO is more like a parallel development for experiential purposes. At least that's the way I see it. If you would like some of the updated programs, then you can get the ones you want individually and install them in 5.2.8.004.

Audacious 3.2
This is the latest Audacious audio player. The B2SB plugin is working, which is stereo to binaural conversion. http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/audacious-3.2-1.pet

bigpup

#1137 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote: If you would like some of the updated programs, then you can get the ones you want individually and install them in 5.2.8.004.
Any chance you could offer a programs instant update pet?
It would contain all the updated programs. One pet for all.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

Can't fix it

#1138 Post by Volhout »

:(

PlayDayz,

Tested the test iso on my home machine (this machine works well with 528-528.004) and can't get it to detect my printer in CUPS. It is a USB multifunction (printer/scanner/card reader) device EPSON RX425.
When starting CUPS in 528 - 528.004 the printer shows as a selectable item in the list when "add printer". Not in this test iso. It only shows PDF printer and LPT / serial as options.

It is (AFAIK) not a CUPS issue, since 528 uses the same CUPS version as this test iso (version 1.4.3). Maybe changes in the USB drivers have caused it (USB modeswitch ?).

I hope you have an idea how I can help you to find the cause. Tried several things like hotplug, but no cure. Also the scanner does not detect. It must be somewhere low level (at USB level) I guess..

Tell me what I can do to help or diagnose.

Volhout

PenguinPupLin

#1139 Post by PenguinPupLin »

otropogo wrote:
Have a look through the two pages of the following thread on this topic. It's been a while, so I don't remember the details, but I had a similar problem and solved it. Repost your results here, and if it still doesn't work, I'll try to help you further. I'm running fprot on my 5.2.8

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=15
Many thanks,otropogo, went to the link and installed the xfprot-2.4_fprot-6.0.3.pet,now running the virus scanner.
Just wonder how effective it is - noticed quite a number of "[Not Scanning]<Maximum directory/link traversal depth reached>" files. Anyway, I'll continue testing and trying the various settings. Also I'm looking for other virus scanners to try both within Linux and Windows to check my Windows Vista disk.

playdayz

#1140 Post by playdayz »

ny chance you could offer a programs instant update pet?
It would contain all the updated programs. One pet for all.
One pet to bind them, one pet to rule them all! Possible.
xfprot-2.4_fprot-6.0.3.pet,now running the virus scanner.
Just wonder how effective it is - noticed quite a number of "[Not Scanning]<Maximum directory/link traversal depth reached>" files.
I am just curious PenguinPupLin. Does the non-X version of f-prot give the same errors if you run it on the same directories from the command line?