Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#481 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install...... all good this time.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.13.SMP on Wed 8 February 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: # vesa

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

Actually using the "nv" driver......

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (154MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 08 Feb 2012 03:37:23 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235
Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]
Attachments
Exprimo 5.X.13.png
(25.34 KiB) Downloaded 617 times

Eathray

Xorg

#482 Post by Eathray »

Pemasu,

Do you recommend the high Xorg pet in the repo? Currently I'm running Exprimo in Vesa. Anything I should know before I try it?

Thanks,

Eathray

pemasu

#483 Post by pemasu »

You will need xorg high pet or sfs for certain apps...like google earth.
Those people who need it could tell more. I usually dont need it.
Also...when you know your graphics manufacturer, you can extract the pet and copy only the driver of you graphics. You really dont need more from that xorg high than one driver.

Oh vesa driver....I dont think so that you will get graphics acceleration for vesa driver...since it is generic driver.

pemasu

#484 Post by pemasu »

Smokey01. Thank you of feedback. Help file...err...is it available already somewhere...or do you mean if I have done something for it. I am not quite sure what we decided at last. Call it laziness...and that I really havent had time for any other than creating these updates....which seems to shape up at last.

If the dpup exprimo help is ready...I will include it immediately.

I tested and followed slacko kernel testing thread....and was convinced that 3.1.10 is the best newer kernel choice. 3.2.X kernels had some serious bugs still.

James C. Thank for your quick report about working network. I am relieved that the problem was so devastating but also easy to fix.

jim3630

#485 Post by jim3630 »

5.X.13.SMP frugal install to ext4. no broadcom wifi drivers detected. that is as far as i got.

James C

#486 Post by James C »

5.X.13 SMP live pfix=ram on some newer hardware. Sound and internet worked on initial boot but booted to a black screen and a "Monitor out of range" message.Used the three finger salute and ran through xorgwizard to get the correct screen resolution.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.13.SMP on Wed 8 February 2012

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1368x768 pixels (414x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2853MB (177MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 08 Feb 2012 11:45:21 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1368x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.1.10-dpup (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Wed Feb 8 20:00:47 EET 2012

Looks good on just a quick hardware check. :)

pemasu

#487 Post by pemasu »

5.X.13.SMP frugal install to ext4. no broadcom wifi drivers detected. that is as far as i got.
I need more spesific bug report. Could you check what dmesg outputs and what happens if you unload and load again your broadcom driver. You know...there are several broadcom drivers in build. I suspect that you use brcmsmac.ko but as you know....I need to be sure.

I ask because brcmsmac.ko and corresponding firmware has been included...so the reason is something else. brcmsmac.ko is still in staging section which should have worked.

As you can see...I have to guess much...regarding the used broadcom driver which didnt load.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.

smokey01

#488 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu wrote:Smokey01. Thank you of feedback. Help file...err...is it available already somewhere...or do you mean if I have done something for it. I am not quite sure what we decided at last. Call it laziness...and that I really havent had time for any other than creating these updates....which seems to shape up at last.

If the dpup exprimo help is ready...I will include it immediately.
Let me make one last check on the weekend to ensure it matches then I will send you the latest for inclusion.

Ray MK

#489 Post by Ray MK »

Hi pemasu

Quote:

I have the same problem -
this is the 1st time that broadcom wifi has not worked using one of your puppy's with this laptop.

Obviously using another puppy to post this.

Sorry to report bad news - very best regards - Ray

James C

#490 Post by James C »

Pemasu will need more info such as what driver is missing/not loaded.From earlier in the thread....
I am interested what driver is in use in the Puppy where it works. Could you check it with working Puppy, I am sure you can easily find out what driver is loaded when it works. Barrys Simple Network Setup ie SNS shows the driver used/loaded nicely.

Then I could check if the driver exists or is the problem somewhere else.

When you know the driver name, you can also by yourself check the existence in 5.X.10.3, in console:
Code:
find /lib -name "DRIVERNAME*"
replace the drivername with the loaded driver name.

peebee

#491 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:...there are several broadcom drivers in build.
Hi pemasu

Just to let you know that Broadcom B43 driver loads and works fine for me - checked with a pristine, manual, frugal install and a reboot.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#492 Post by pemasu »

Same reply. I wish ppl would post WHAT broadcom driver does not load.
Otherwise, possible fix is impossible to implement.

With best wishes.

peebee

#493 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Same reply. I wish ppl would post WHAT broadcom driver does not load.
Otherwise, possible fix is impossible to implement.

With best wishes.
Hi pemasu

Wasn't sure if you wanted more info from me.....mine is a SUCCESS report!

b43 is the driver - loads and works with my bcm4311 version 13 firmware id: 14e4:4312

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#494 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. I didnt remember to praise you. You mentioned that b43 loads which is important detail. I did update the b43 firmwares...there is over 50 firmwares now. And Barry Kauler`s fix to the rc.sysinit works through woof.

Thank you of confirming that I seem to have updated b43 firmwares succesfully...at least for you.
It is also possible that my updated firmware package is not as succesful to the other b43 chips which uses other firmware for b43 driver (kernel module driver b43)

But....I need more detailed bug report of that/those broadcom driver/drivers which does not load.
Dmesg before and after manual unloading and reloading would be helpful....
#rmmod "type here your broadcom driver without .ko" like rmmod brcmsmac and then modprobe brcmsmac
and after that dmesg. Dmesg dislays kernel driver module information regarding to that reloading.

I know that the bug report posters can obtain the information using Puppy which loads their broadcom succsfully, Barry Kauler`s SNS ie Simple Network Setup app shows the module name clearly.

Alternative....post the output of lspci -nnv regarding to the broadcom hardware. I can then easily check from that information what driver that chip uses. But dont post all the lspci -nnv rows....there so much data...only those rows concerning broadcom wireless.

Also it is possible that the driver loads ok when you manually remove and reload it if there is timing problem.

There can be also some module preferences problem which needs modification.

Conclusion....I need more data.

pemasu

#495 Post by pemasu »

I did compile Qupzilla-1.1.5. For all those who like to test those more or less lightweight browsers. I think Qupzilla is one of the best of them.
You will need Qt libs to use them but my compiled Qt-4.8.0 for dpup can be found in smokey01 site.

pemasu

#496 Post by pemasu »

My troubles with adsl connections still continues. I have bought from telephone company new adsl-wlan-router-4-rj45-hub combo box...which caused that the adsl connection was about 15 seconds until it drops out and takes several minute before it connects again....for 15 seconds. My record yesterday was to download 1.3 Mb before it dropped. Mostly it was 500-600 k download when I tested.

I had to switch back to real old adsl box which does not support adsl2+ connection. Now I got promise...that one guy checks the line statistics and trims the line to correspond that new box. Which means that I have to connect new box at last than tomorrow morning and then hope that they can fix the line connection. Also the speed of the line is 8 Mb only when it should be at least 13 Mb which means there is also physical problem in line...which means more ppl checking the problem. And usually they come in to the house when I am at work. And I cant watch what they do and I cant follow their struggle. It means that I get only very tight briefing from someone.
Okay...I admit...I just hate this connection problem.
My wife cant download email attachments from vpn connection with our existing connection and I feel her eyes in my neck....that you should get this fixed. Well...3 telephone company men have searched the problem and now starts second round. I hope knock out now.....
Now I have good period...as you can read....lol.
I will probably switch the boxes this evening so...probably I am out then.....

jim3630

#497 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote: Dmesg before and after manual unloading and reloading would be helpful....
#rmmod "type here your broadcom driver without .ko" like rmmod brcmsmac and then modprobe brcmsmac
and after that dmesg. Dmesg dislays kernel driver module information regarding to that reloading.

I know that the bug report posters can obtain the information using Puppy which loads their broadcom succsfully, Barry Kauler`s SNS ie Simple Network Setup app shows the module name clearly.
pemasu
lsmod shows b43 driver loaded and my driver brcmsmac was not loaded. after blacklisting b43 and modprobed brcmsmac sns nor frisbee could see it. also included dmesg. hope helps.
Attachments
dmesg.gz
(45.8 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
lsmod.gz
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

pemasu

#498 Post by pemasu »

Thank you jim3630 !!!
Now we get to somewhere. It loads b43 for you which it shouldnt.
One question. If you just blacklist b43..it is not loaded until at next boot. Did you reboot. Unloading could have been done by rmmod b43 and loading brcmsmac by modprobe brcmsmac.
If just blacklisted and not rebooted....there was still b43 loaded and conflicting when you modprobed brcmsmac.

If you did it correctly then it is time for me to check and compare slacko DOTconfig and mine of kernel 3.1.10. I will need to test with fresh woof again also.

If you do the b43 removing correctly and copy the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware then I could be sure that the firmware not found is not the reason. Your dmesg didnt show any errors...and that makes me wonder what is the real problem.

jim3630

#499 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Thank you jim3630 !!!
Now we get to somewhere. It loads b43 for you which it shouldnt.
One question. If you just blacklist b43..it is not loaded until at next boot. Did you reboot. Unloading could have been done by rmmod b43 and loading brcmsmac by modprobe brcmsmac.
If just blacklisted and not rebooted....there was still b43 loaded and conflicting when you modprobed brcmsmac.

If you did it correctly then it is time for me to check and compare slacko DOTconfig and mine of kernel 3.1.10. I will need to test with fresh woof again also.

If you do the b43 removing correctly and copy the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware then I could be sure that the firmware not found is not the reason. Your dmesg didnt show any errors...and that makes me wonder what is the real problem.
yes, blacklist b43, rebooted then modprobed brcmsmac.

will get back in 5x13smp and copy the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware.

jim3630

#500 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu

copied the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware and rebooted.

modprobed brcmsmac driver and it loaded but unable to be seen by sns, frisbee.

also tried network wizard>load modules>more>specify> <brcmsmac> stated already loaded but would not detect new interface.
Attachments
lsmod.gz
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
dmesg.gz
(45.99 KiB) Downloaded 221 times