Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 05:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
GTK3 ALPHA Classic Pup 2.14X bleeding edge version
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
James C

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:37    Post subject: Re: insideline.com crash  

oligin10 wrote:
Hi James, did you modify anything? I had not changed anything, no pupsave or anything else. Just ran straight from cd, did not add or remove any software. Thanks, Rob

Was running live pfix=ram with no savefile......... best way for accurate testing. Smile
James C

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2012, 14:07    Post subject:  

Just experimenting a bit.... installed the Murrine and Equinox engines and got rid of some of the messages in the xerrs.log. Installed the Adwaita engine and got rid of more.
I think I may be running Drakfire-Zuki.......not sure what it's supposed to look like though. Laughing

Code:
gtk-theme-name="Drakfire-Zuki"
gtk-icon-theme-name="hicolor"
gtk-font-name="Sans 10"
gtk-cursor-theme-size=0
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH
gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_LARGE_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-enable-event-sounds=1
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=1
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle="hintfull"
include "/root/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"
2012-02-11_11-57-39-thumb.png
 Description   
 Filesize   124.71 KB
 Viewed   1243 Time(s)

2012-02-11_11-57-39-thumb.png

davec51

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2012, 16:41    Post subject: Can't find Pupfile
Subject description: Failed to boot

When I try to boot from the cd I get a failure after the program tries to find a save file, looking for Puppy files in all my partitions (2 HD's). Any help?
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2012, 11:57    Post subject:  

sorry guys I spent tons of hours getting the gtk3 version working and I thought it would take off very quickly, but after 2 weeks we were still on page one, yes i was disappointed, I'm sorry about getting upset, I did put a lot of effort into it, soon I'll have beta version Smile
ttuuxxx

davec51

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:38    Post subject: Alpha Woes
Subject description: Bleeding is right

ttuuxxx, that's what alphas are for. I appreciate your work, and I'll be waiting, blank CD in hand.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2012, 14:19    Post subject:  

maybe backburner it for a bit until some development overload wears off, I have been wanting to do the same with gtk3, but am trying to get the right mix of gtk1,2,3 (yes, I am still using gtk1) ... it seems like 1.2.10 + 2.16.6 and 3.0.X are a good mix (3.0 is still getting bugfixes AFAIK and 3.2 mandates the C++ version of pango) and should cover the majority of apps.
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2012, 14:23    Post subject:  

I know your disappointment Tux. ( Believe me mate - as a dev on other projects I really do! ) However, I've chosen to watch this topic for the moment and my reason for doing so is this: My computer is around 10 years old and I've recently discovered that the momboard is going. It works perfectly well with the 14 Puppies currently installed but trying to install even versions I've used a few years back on this is a complete failure. Only thing I can think of is that the currently installed versions work because they're drawing their settings from already established saved files whereas new testing installs never get the chance to save their settings due to crashes relating to a weakened momboard, etc.

I hope to have my situation solved within the next couple of months when the Mrs receives a settlement cheque. ( I've been informed if I'm a "good boy" I may get a new desktop or lappie. Wink ) When that happens - there are several projects here I'm just itching it get my mitts onto, your gtk3 Puppy is at the very top of that list my friend!

Hang in there Tux. Just because people aren't saying something doesn't mean that nothing is happening, nor that people aren't using what you've produced here. Many could've downloaded and just be satisfied as is - there's always that possibility as well. But another thought mate: I worked many years in radio and there the standard was this: For EACH caller who rung you at the studio to do a survey/make a request ( or for single piece of mail/email you received ) that meant a listening audience of 600+. That was the rule of thumb for setting listeners and popularity. That's Food For Thought. Wink

I hope perhaps some of what I've said has helped mate?

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

singlshot

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2012, 00:23    Post subject:  

hi all

just downloaded and tried it on a computer in shop . wish i had internet connection in shop. it loaded and ran .. i don't know enought to test it but i like it.

thank you for all your hard work
singlshot
Pete22

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012, 00:14    Post subject:  bleeding edge version  

Hello Tux,

I saw your original post, and was looking forward to checking a beta, Not being a geek, alpha's usually scare me. I have checked back several times hoping to find a beta.

However, I started to get really excited when I saw the fractal program you worked on. Oh my. Not for my old laptop, but I think my old dual core x64 desktop computer might handle it. !!!!

Question. Is there any way to get the internet connection to take symbols in the password? I know it won't in your other versions. I was just hoping it would in this new one.

Pete
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012, 20:07    Post subject: Re: bleeding edge version  

Pete22 wrote:
Hello Tux,

I saw your original post, and was looking forward to checking a beta, Not being a geek, alpha's usually scare me. I have checked back several times hoping to find a beta.

However, I started to get really excited when I saw the fractal program you worked on. Oh my. Not for my old laptop, but I think my old dual core x64 desktop computer might handle it. !!!!

Question. Is there any way to get the internet connection to take symbols in the password? I know it won't in your other versions. I was just hoping it would in this new one.

Pete

Hi Pete which internet connection are you trying to use? I only use the network wizard, with eth0, so it never ask me for password. And there are a few others, like wireless and dialup that use passwords.
Oh ya that fractal app is a high resource app, newer 6+ yr old pc's are better.

Thanks ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012, 20:12    Post subject:  

here's a little dvd copier I came across at http://smokey01.com/index.php/posts/00022/CopyDVD
it doesn't edit, it doesn't remove extra's, but what it does do is copy and builds a iso of dvd 1:1 or just copies one large VOB file to hard drive. I reduced the orginal pet size by almost 50% by using image file system links on 2.14x and making and adding a couple to fill in the gaps:)
I haven't tested it, any testers?
ttuuxxx
copydvd-1.0-2.14x.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  copydvd-1.0-2.14x.pet 
Filesize  37.98 KB 
Downloaded  187 Time(s) 
copy.png
 Description   
 Filesize   26.22 KB
 Viewed   946 Time(s)

copy.png

Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2012, 06:51    Post subject:  

Thanks for posting this Tux! Exactly the simplist thing someone like me has always needed for making DVD copies! So I really can't thank you enough. Now when I get finished with several projects over the next few weeks/month here I'll try to take time aside exclusively for this - and when I do - I'll try to remember to get back and let you know how well it worked. But knowing Smokey he does an equally excellent job with programming. Smile

Again: I can't thank you enough Tux!

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Pete22

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2012, 17:24    Post subject: Re: bleeding edge version  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Pete22 wrote:
Hello Tux,

Pete

Hi Pete which internet connection are you trying to use? I only use the network wizard, with eth0, so it never ask me for password. And there are a few others, like wireless and dialup that use passwords.
Oh ya that fractal app is a high resource app, newer 6+ yr old pc's are better.

Thanks ttuuxxx

I'm using a wireless connection with wpa encryption.
Smile Now if I understand you correctly, if I used my eth0 connection,
I could use the internet without dealing with the password. I can try that.

Very Happy

I have a place saved for 2.14x bleeding edge on my "big white" computer. Its where I put my favorite stuff. Exclamation
But "big white" is on wlan0 or eth1 only.

Pete
Eathray

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 03:00    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
sorry guys I spent tons of hours getting the gtk3 version working and I thought it would take off very quickly, but after 2 weeks we were still on page one, yes i was disappointed, I'm sorry about getting upset, I did put a lot of effort into it, soon I'll have beta version Smile
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx,

You're freaking awesome, man. I have three machines running your stuff. Sorry you didn't get the quick response you hoped for, but I'm sure it will come in time.

I can't give you development help, but I've become a pretty competent user. I'm going to redo my wife's hard-drive this weekend, so I'll stick it on and give you user feedback next week if that helps.

Don't feel bad about nuthin... You're worth more than gold in this community.

Eathray
alphadog

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 05:48    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx I agree with "Earthray" you are indeed "freaking awesome" !!
Without you (and the other devs, coders, etc.) this great little distro would not be what it is today .
From a "green" point of view can you imagine how many pieces of hardware you have saved from being thrown away just because someone in a big office in the USA, or wherever, says your pc
equipment is no longer good enough although it is still perfectly serviceable.
You have kept my 2001 lappy perfectly usable with your 2.14x series so far and when the gtk3 model gets a bit more mature I will give it a go,but being anything but a fairly competent user (I don't like delving under the bonnet (hood) too much) I stay away from alphas and let more knowledgeable people play first.
So please don't give up just because of a slow uptake, after all perfection takes time.

Page 2 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: