Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 06:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Opera Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2011, 09:41    Post_subject:  Opera Next
Sub_title: Opera Next is automatically updated to include the latest changes as they become available. But not in Linux.

Quote:
Opera Next is an entirely separate product to the official Opera browser product

get it from http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/swordfish-and-opera-next?startidx=50#comments
opera-next-browser.png
 Description   
 Filesize   20.04 KB
 Viewed   1626 Time(s)

opera-next-browser.png

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>

Edited_time_total
vovchik

PostPosted: Wed 04 May 2011, 13:39    Post_subject:  

Dear aarf,

I am writing this now from Opera Next and Macpup 520. It is incredibly fast and, so far, pretty stable. Thanks very much for the info and link....

With kind regards,
vovchik
mickee

Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

PostPosted: Wed 04 May 2011, 16:29    Post_subject:  

From Opera's Web site: http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Opera Next gives you a separate installation of the Opera browser that lets you try our latest pre-release versions without affecting your main Opera installation. Also, your Opera Next installation is automatically updated as new versions become available. Opera Next builds may be unstable or contain bugs, but they let you be among the first try out our latest technologies.

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Wed 04 May 2011, 17:00    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the links and info aarf and mickee!

I've really enjoyed playing around ( even making ) web browsers ever since "this group" decided to come out with a test trial "pre-alpha" something or other which I used my MOSAIC to download ( I'm really giving my age away here as I was OLD then! ) what was to much later become "Netscape".

I could really sit here and wax nostalgic but I know y'all have far better things to do. Wink

Once again: Thanks friends!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

Terryphi

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 12:24    Post_subject:  

mickee wrote:
From Opera's Web site: http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Opera Next gives you a separate installation of the Opera browser that lets you try our latest pre-release versions without affecting your main Opera installation. Also, your Opera Next installation is automatically updated as new versions become available. Opera Next builds may be unstable or contain bugs, but they let you be among the first try out our latest technologies.

I think you will find that Opera-Next (just like Opera) does NOT automatically update on Linux although it can be set to warn the user that a new version is available.

harii4

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 06:24    Post_subject:  

Opera Next is way nice.
Using it with TXZ_PUP Very Happy

aarf

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 08:51    Post_subject:  

Well mine hasnt updated since installation and it wont open .mht pages that it has saved itself. I go back to my old ordinary opera to view pages that i have saved in opera-next. Has anyone with a later version of opera-next opened .mht files if so which version and are you satisfied with the version you have? Obviously i am satisfied except for that one thing.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Terryphi

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 09:31    Post_subject:  

Stick with the latest stable release, currently Opera 11.52. Opera Next is not intended for everyday use and comes with a health warning. It is just for testing new features which may or may not end up in the next stable release.
harii4

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:38    Post_subject:  

Using Opera Next 12
Quote:
Stick with the latest stable release, currently Opera 11.52. Opera Next is not intended for everyday use and comes with a health warning. It is just for testing new features which may or may not end up in the next stable release.

For Testing it is - so far very stable Wink
This opera seems to like my buggy wifi and works well but i only been using it for two days.
Quote:
Well mine hasnt updated since installation and it wont open .mht pages that it has saved itself. I go back to my old ordinary opera to view pages that i have saved in opera-next. Has anyone with a later version of opera-next opened .mht files if so which version and are you satisfied with the version you have? Obviously i am satisfied except for that one thing.

Never had an browser in puppy update itself right - bad luck at that Confused
had the same problems in 3.01 with the ,mht with firefox? Confused Crying or Very sad
so - i try not to use the .mht and use .html

harii4

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2012, 17:10    Post_subject:  

the portable opera next really works nice with older pups like 3.01. Cool
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum