Slacko 5.3.3-RC2 (5.3.2.4[0])

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#361 Post by 01micko »

drblock2

I did see that behaviour on my laptop which is a centrino 1.7GHz, 512 RAM, radeon mobility graphics in alpha 4 or 5 (with 3.2 kernel) but this kernel has been ok for me. It seems like a timing issue with rox-desktop failing to start. I'll look into it.
Thanks for report
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jades

5.3.2.1 doesn't work on K6-2 500

#362 Post by Jades »

For a bit of daft, I decided to give 5.3.2.1 a shot on the K6-2 500 machine, booting from the CD. Perhaps unsurprisingly it failed to boot, with the following message:-

Code: Select all

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
cmov
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
That's presumably due to the processor in question being i586 generation.

Not a problem, Wary is really the most appropriate in-development Puppy for that machine, but just thought I'd mention it. Full install of Slacko 5.3.1 seems to work without major issues after I installed a 486-compatible ffmpeg.

On the Pentium D machine, the Netgear WN111v2 wireless dongle is still working well on 5.3.2.1, so it would seem the problem I had with it on 5.3 and 5.3.1 was something to do with the kernel or drivers.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

torgo

#363 Post by torgo »

I'm happily running the Netgear WN111 v2 in Slacko 5.31 right now on a Satellite A15 laptop.

Slacko won't work at all with the Tenda W311U (based on the RT2870). In Lucid, the RT2870sta module works just fine with that stick, but to this point it has been a complete no-go with Slacko. Trying to load the Windows driver (2870.inf) with the NDIS wrapper causes 5.3.1 to crash completely.

I'm just now discovering this thread, so I'll have to download the new beta, give it a whirl, and see if that one has any better luck with the W311U.

Billtoo

Slacko 5.3.3-beta ..testing (5.3.2.1)

#364 Post by Billtoo »

I made a pet of Namoroka 3.6.26, it was just released on Feb 1 2012.
I find it works well in this slacko beta, it's approx 11mb in size.

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-edecb804.html

DaveS

#365 Post by DaveS »

Mick, I am a bit stuck. Which file do I need to edit to include an extra tray in JWM. /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc seems to be ignored now.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#366 Post by 01micko »

Dave

Have a look in /usr/bin and you'll see a bunch of files "jwm_*" (eg jwm_menu_create, etc). These are the tools technosaurus built and a much faster than the old ones.

Probably best to post in techno's thread in the additional software>>desktop forum as I am still learning how to get the best out of the tools myself.

gyro

Sugggestion

#367 Post by gyro »

For consistency, change the following files to execute urxvt rather than rxvt:
/usr/share/applications/Urxvt-terminal-emulator.desktop
/usr/bin/xterm
/usr/local/PupControl/defaultapps/console

After making some effort to setup "urxvt" to look the way I want it, I would like it to always be used, instead of getting "rxvt" when not using the "console" icon on the desktop.

gyro

01micko

Re: Sugggestion

#368 Post by 01micko »

gyro wrote:For consistency, change the following files to execute urxvt rather than rxvt:
/usr/share/applications/Urxvt-terminal-emulator.desktop
/usr/bin/xterm
/usr/local/PupControl/defaultapps/console

After making some effort to setup "urxvt" to look the way I want it, I would like it to always be used, instead of getting "rxvt" when not using the "console" icon on the desktop.

gyro
yeah, that's a bit sloppy, I'll fix it. I think PupControl auto-generates so fixing the first 2 should take care of it.

Thanks

DaveS

#369 Post by DaveS »

DaveS wrote:Mick, I am a bit stuck. Which file do I need to edit to include an extra tray in JWM. /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc seems to be ignored now.
Solved see here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 872#602872
Neat :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

sszindian

5.3.3-Beta

#370 Post by sszindian »

5.3.3-BETA

Graphics and text now... 100%.... Nice job mic!

Everything working just fine with 'eth0' hookup, shortly will try (again) to get the wireless going... frisbee so far hasen't done it in past versions, in fact not in 'any' Puppy version? Just for info-purposes, tried another recent small distro that used 'Wicd Network Manager' and had wireless hooked up in about 3-minutes... hmmmm? Might be worth looking into.

Anyway, here's 5.3.3 using iguleder's WBAR setup.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

sszindian

5.3.3-Beta

#371 Post by sszindian »

Some more testing.....

Seems to be a problem with the PPM 'UMPlayer' (both versions there)

The Stand Alone Version: When activated appears on the screen as it should - When you type a selection in the Youtube Address Bar, the second window opens displaying the files (as it should) but... the 'Thumbnail Graphics' do NOT appear. When you click on a file, the audio works but the video does not!

The Regular Plain sfs Version: When activacted appears on the screen as it should - When you type a selection in the Youtube Address Bar, the second window opens displaying the files (as it should) WITH the Thumbnail Graphics.' When you select a thumbnail file, the video works in the main window (as it should) but... there ISN'T any AUDIO!

Hope I got that right!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Gnuxo

#372 Post by Gnuxo »

Please make sure that carl9170-1.fw 1.9.4 is included so that atheros ar9170 card users can continue to enjoy Puppy Linux.

http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/D ... are_binary

Jades

#373 Post by Jades »

Gnuxo wrote:Please make sure that carl9170-1.fw 1.9.4 is included so that atheros ar9170 card users can continue to enjoy Puppy Linux.
Not sure how to check the version, but it appears that carl9170 is the firmware used for the Netgear WN111v2. Performance in Slacko 5.3.2.1 is excellent, having been unusably slow on my system in 5.3 and 5.3.1.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

gcmartin

#374 Post by gcmartin »

Not sure if these have been addressed in the plan as we progress, but i have 2 issues:
  1. For some reason, a text (*.txt) file created by Microsoft does NOT open or opens inproperly (different files) in SLACKO beta. This seems to be related to fonts. BUT, I can open it properly with Abiword.
  2. I have tried to copy one of my music CDs to SLACKO filesystem using PMusic tool (Menu>Multimedia>Pmusic...) . In doing the RIP process setup, I change the sample rate from 192000 to 128000. I end with a Ripped folder of tunes at a "48" sample rate instead of the expected 128. BUT, they do play even though the rate is a poor one.
Hope this helps

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#375 Post by Lobster »

Squeak and Scratch, Novel Programming languages (Smalltalk based) working OK
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SlackoNews

Too bizarre for me (I try) If you have a kid handy get them to learn it and explain it to you . . . they seem to understand Smalltalk . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

torgo

#376 Post by torgo »

A request: could a future version of Slacko please include module support for the Ralink RT3370 / RT3070?

chfisa

NIC Not working, EEEPC 900 (Celeron)

#377 Post by chfisa »

I loaded this version on an old HP Pavillion 772n, with Realtek RTL 8139 NIC and it worked fine.

Switching to my EEEPC 900, network set-up appeared to go well to the point where I clicked the DHCP button on the set-up, and it returned a "connection successful". However, when actually attempting to pass traffic over the link, I.E connect to the Internet, it fails and indicates that there is no connection. Tried several different combinations of settings in the simple set-up tool, but no luck.

It's not the NIC, as EASY PEASY works with it as does PUPPEEE4.3.1.

peebee

Broadcom STA wifi driver for Slacko

#378 Post by peebee »

[update] 25-03-12
Now created a forum page with all the latest versions on it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495
[/update]
Last edited by peebee on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 19:48, edited 4 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

chfisa

#379 Post by chfisa »

Just a follow-up to my earlier msg. pertaining to the EEEPC 900.

Sorry, I failed to mention that the issue I described pertained only to the WLAN (Atheros AR5BXB63) interface.

The wired connection (Atheros L2) was automatically discovered and connected during the boot process. However, I still received the screen noting incorrectly "Welcome! This is the first time... You do not have an internet connection." Fun stuff...

Thanks for your hard efforts!

chfisa

Good News!

#380 Post by chfisa »

Another update....
Just successfully connected my EEEPC 900 wirelessly to the network!
This time I used the optional "Frisbee" network setup tool, and voila! So, it appears there could be an issue with the "Simple Network Setup" tool on this build.

FYI, I agree with some of the other comments about the browser. Like Chrome better...

Thanks again!!