Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Tman

Re: sfs_load version

#1161 Post by Tman »

shinobar wrote: The message maybe confusing, but it means both unionfs or aufs(AnotherUnionFS).
It occurs when the sfs is in use.
Ah, now I understand. I maybe be nit-picking a little bit, but perhaps a statement such as, "Failed to unload the SFS file" would be less confusing.
SFS-Load is a great tool; Thank You for having created it.

shinobar

Re: sfs_load version

#1162 Post by shinobar »

Tman wrote: "Failed to unload the SFS file" would be less confusing.
Maybe.
By the way, restart X and try again if you failed to unload SFS. Sometimes it will resolve.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

bigpup

#1163 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1164 Post by playdayz »

Google Chrome 17 for Lucid
This is the Stable (Official Release)

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... -Lucid.pet

peebee

Further Broadcom-sta testing

#1165 Post by peebee »

Because I can't leave problems unsolved.....

In the light of the problems reported earlier with the Broadcom wl driver in the Testing ISO working but not surviving a reboot -

I've tried the following:

1. Made a vanilla, pristine, manual, frugal install of Lupu528-004
2. Blacklisted the b43 module
3. Installed broadcom_sta-5.6.48.36-i486.pet
4. Rebooted
5. Used Network Wizard to create a WPA-PSK-TKIP connection
6. Rebooted

And this time it's successful - see attached lsmod and dmesg outputs.

Note - the module I remarked on before - michael-mic - is now still there after the reboot....

Conclusion? the broadcom-sta driver is working OK with my BCM4311 with Version13 firmware but something in the combination of changes in the Testing ISO is not quite right.

If anybody can suggest the next "change" to make and test then I'll try that.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
dmesg.txt.gz
(28.13 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
lsmod.txt.gz
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

otropogo

better pdf viewer for lupu?

#1166 Post by otropogo »

I'm having to switch to Windows and Adobe 8 more and more in order to search searchable pdf files, and often even to open them at all with the pdf viewer that comes with lupu 5.2.8.

Is there a compatible installation package that offers a more up to date viewer?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

smokey01

#1167 Post by smokey01 »

Foxit is rather large but very good.

http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/foxi ... .0.tar.bz2

bigpup

#1168 Post by bigpup »

Foxit reader is also in Puppy Package Manager.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#1169 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:Foxit reader is also in Puppy Package Manager.
Thanks, have installed Foxit 1.1 via the packet manager and will give it a try.

Have also found that the find function in ePDFviewer does exists, but it's a royal PIA to use, since there doesn't appear to be a way to configure it to display in the toolbar. Foxit 1.1 does have this option. I always assumed that any pdf viewer would show a search field by default, unless the pdf isn't searchable.

Hopefully it will be able to open more recent pdfs. Today I downloaded two pdf files from the Government of Canada, and ePDF was only able to open one of them.

I use Adobe Reader v. 8.1.2 in Windows, and it's hardly the latest version. The copyright says 2007... Yet I haven't come a across a pdf file yet that it wouldn't open.

Now to find the procedure for making foxit the default pdf reader...

kevin bowers

#1170 Post by kevin bowers »

otropogo wrote: Now to find the procedure for making foxit the default pdf reader...
Open /usr/local/bin/defaulthandler as text; change "epdfview" to "foxit" or, I have had better luck with using the full path, usually /usr/bin/foxit or /usr/local/bin/foxit, wherever foxit installs to. Usually works, good luck!

ps. This is Linux--don't forget to save! Also, don't forget to boogie, but that's different.

otropogo

#1171 Post by otropogo »

kevin bowers wrote:
otropogo wrote: Now to find the procedure for making foxit the default pdf reader...
Open /usr/local/bin/defaulthandler as text; change "epdfview" to "foxit" or, I have had better luck with using the full path, usually /usr/bin/foxit or /usr/local/bin/foxit, wherever foxit installs to. Usually works, good luck!

ps. This is Linux--don't forget to save! Also, don't forget to boogie, but that's different.
Thanks for the suggestions, but no cigar...

I renamed defaulthander to .bak, then changed epdfview to foxit and saved as defaulthandler. Tried opening a pdf file, still using pdfview 0.1.7

Tried restarting X, same result.

Searched for foxit with pfind, and found three entries, /usr/bin/FoxitReader; /usr/lib/Foxit;/usr/lib/Foxit/FoxitReader

Edited defaulthandler replacing foxit with /usr/bin/FoxitReader, and saved.

Reopened pdf file, still using ePDFview. Rebooted system, checked text of defaulthandler, reopened pdf file - still us9ing ePDFview.

I noticed that pfind gives the path for ../bin/FoxitReader as /usr/bin/,

whereas it's actually /.usr/bin/, Have tried that also, and still no change.

I've looked for a separate default file for PDF viewers in the /usr/local/bin directory (as exist for other categories, like browser), but can't see any.

So now I'm puzzled. How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?

sheldonisaac

#1172 Post by sheldonisaac »

otropogo wrote: So now I'm puzzled. How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?
Apparently none?

See file://localhost/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Help/Manual.html

Is there a tutorial that would have saved us this searching?

otropogo

#1173 Post by otropogo »

sheldonisaac wrote:
otropogo wrote: So now I'm puzzled. How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?
Apparently none?

Is there a tutorial that would have saved us this searching?
I went, I saw, but I couldn't find "defaulthandler".

Meanwhile, I've found another promising method of getting nowhere. It's called "PuppApps" and sits in the Menu/utilities section. When you open it, it seems to show you the default app for a number of app categories, including one for /document/PDF Reader.

You're also able to change this setting, and I used the procedure to replace ePDFview with Foxit. I know it worked, because now, when I put the cursor on the pdf viewer icon in PuppApps, a popup displays "FoxitReader". There is further proof in that clicking on the icon opens a Foxit window. Very nice, and almost as easy as opening Foxit from the menu/documents/list, in fact a mere 100% more clicks (4 instead of 2), and a bit more searching through the longer list.

But is Foxit now the default pdf viewer? Noooooo!

So what is the purpose of the PuppApps module? Apparently, to provide a slower, more complicated way of opening an app than that provided by the main program menu.

drblock2

#1174 Post by drblock2 »

Try changing this file, replacing epdfview with FoxitReader:

Code: Select all

/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.application_pdf/Open with PDF viewer
This should do it. You have to right click on the pdf icon in ROX and select "Open with PDF viewer" from the menu. Simply left-clicking on the icon (as you would for a jpg-file) does not seem to work anymore.

sheldonisaac

#1175 Post by sheldonisaac »

some snipping
otropogo wrote: How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?
I went, I saw, but I couldn't find "defaulthandler".
It seems that in Lucid 5.2.8, the defaulthandler file does _NOT_ control file associations.

Rather, the process would be as below; I'll do it now:
In rox, right-click on
/mnt/sdb6/jbl/User_Manual.pdf
Follow File 'User_Manual.pdf' to Set Run Action
In the space under Enter a shell command , replace existing command
with /usr/bin/nicoedit "$1"

Now left click opens pdf files with nicoedit.
(This was just a test. I'll now replace it with the actual pdf viewing software.)

ICPUG

#1176 Post by ICPUG »

Otropogo,

When you have a problem you sometimes get very snappy in your responses.

PupApps is an alternative Launcher. See here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61962

You may not like it but some people might because it is a way of grouping apps and customising your launcher menu/tabs

It is not for setting file associations.

scottman has written a defaults chooser pet. Unfortunately chosing a default for pdf is not one of its options. Perhaps a kind word to scottman may help to add this category or elucidate what you have to do for yourself.

666philb

#1177 Post by 666philb »

right click on the pdf and choose 'set run action'

then drag and drop /usr/lib/Foxit/FoxitReader onto the 'drop a suitable application here' window

this changes the default in /root/.config/rox-sourceforge.net/MIME-types
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

otropogo

#1178 Post by otropogo »

Thanks to all for your comments, especially 666philb, whose suggestion I opted to try first (and with success!)
666philb wrote:right click on the pdf and choose 'set run action'

then drag and drop /usr/lib/Foxit/FoxitReader onto the 'drop a suitable application here' window

this changes the default in /root/.config/rox-sourceforge.net/MIME-types

otropogo

#1179 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:mounting read only is usually a sign of ntfs errors

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ntfs3g

However, I seem to recall there was an updated bugfix version of ntfs, so check which version you have

Code: Select all

ntfs-3g --version
mine shows as ntfs-3g 2011.1.15 integrated FUSE 27, and hasn't given any noticeable problems using my external 320gb and 1Tb drives, nor my flashdrives [though these are fat32]

tempestuous comments here, where you posted, also

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 656#587656

ICPUG refers to the updated ntfs-3g here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 153#466153

Aitch :)
Have finally located your reference source for the ntfs-3g 2011.1.15 driver, but haven't been able to find any installation package for it.

I did find reference and source code for a more recent stable version:

ntfs-3g + ntfsprogs 2012.1.15

at tuxera.com.

But I couldn't find any deb packages for that either. In fact, the only deb ntfs-3g package I was able to find is the one already installed in lupu 528 (which doesn't work properly on my system)...

Update: on searching further, I did find some ntfs-3g deb packages. Unfortunately, they did not include the one that works for Aitch, cited above. Nor did they include the latest stable one from tuxera.com.

the're at:

http://pkgs.org/download/ntfs-3g

I took a chance and installed the one below

ntfs-3g_2011.4.12AR.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb

but subsequently found I could no longer copy certain files (jpegs, for instance) form other partitions to my internal ntfs partion in lupu 5.28.

And other copies gave a a failure message, although the file was apparently copied.

I then uninstalled the new ntfs-3g driver, but since then cannot open the ntfs partition and my home partition simultaneously on the desktop....

a wonderful mess!

If someone could point me to a deb package that will actually work with luypu 528, would appreciate it.

Sylvander

#1180 Post by Sylvander »

Here in lupu-528.004...
Attachments
00.jpg
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 985 times