Network printer installation

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
RoyBell

Network printer installation

#1 Post by RoyBell »

I am trying to install a networked Epson Stylus Photo PX730WD printer that is connected to my router.
It doesn't show up under "Discovered network printers" and so I have to choose from a list of six options from the "Other network printers" in the list below it in the same page.

i.e.
Other Network Printers:
Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
Internet Printing Protocol (http)
AppSocket/HP JetDirect
LPD/LPR Host or Printer
Windows Printer using smbclient
Backend Error Handler

I don't know which one of these to pick.
Some of them work (After a few trials) and get me to the end of the installation process but the printer won't work.

The second problem is that the printer model is not supported in the list of printers given for installation.

I went to the EPSON download page and found a bunch of LINUX printer drivers for the printer but they are for different operating conditions and I don't know which one to choose. (My guess is the first one)
(Pentium-4 32bit) (Puppy 5.2)

i.e.
* epson-inkjet-printer-201112w-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm
* epson-inkjet-printer-201112w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
* epson-inkjet-printer-201112w-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
* epson-inkjet-printer-201112w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
* epson-inkjet-printer-201112w-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.src.rpm

Can anyone answer the two questions:

...Which choice of network printer path in the installation page?

...Which printer driver from Epson?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(I posted this before but in the wrong section)

gcmartin

Re: Network printer installation

#2 Post by gcmartin »

RoyBell wrote: ... Can anyone answer the two questions:
...Which choice of network printer path in the installation page?
...Which printer driver from Epson? ...
Questions to make it a little easier for us to hlep you
  • Which Puppy distro do you use?
  • Which PC do you have?
Open your browser, surf to the CUPS URL on your local PC, and Check to insure your CUPSlooks similar to below.
Attachments
CUPS.png
CUPS adjusted for allowing local printers to be shared with network users
(112.97 KiB) Downloaded 1384 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

steevieb

#3 Post by steevieb »

The CUPS page at http://localhost:631/help/network.html gives this for Epson printers;
socket://address i.e; socket://192.0.2.2 or whatever your address is. Do you know it?
AppSocket should be the best choice, but ipp or http may also work.

As for printer driver, I wouldn't have a clue. (Mine is a HP). Is there anything in the Package Manager?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61885 has newer Epson drivers. May be worth a look.

RoyBell

#4 Post by RoyBell »

Hi "gcmartin",
I have got to the CUPS page that you show and selected "Add Printer" but I think that the question of which path to select has been answered by "steevieb". (Socket://)
I am using Puppy 5.2 with a Pentium-4 32bit. (As stated within the text)

Hi "steevieb",
I know the IP address of the printer which is fixed within the router.
So I think it now comes down to the Linux printer driver as supplied by Epson. (I have visited the link you suggest but it did not list my printer)

Looking at the file names it seems that the only difference is the part at the end. As I'm using a Pentium4 then that rules out the "64" ones and the "386". So that only leaves the "486" (The first one on the list), and the last one.

I will now try the suggested path name and the first (Then last) driver on the list and see what happens.

Will post the results.

RoyBell

#5 Post by RoyBell »

When I first tried to download the Linux printer driver from Epson I got an error screen that said I needed to use “unrpm

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @RoyBell (The following is some information in an effort to give you understanding so that this experience, and others, will go easier for you.)

When you say "... is connected to your router..." do you mean its connected via
  • Ehternet to your router
  • USB to your router
  • Parallel to your router
If ethernet, your router is NOT involved at all in printing (and should not be unless you are tracking LAN print activity)
If its parallel/USB/Firewire/bridged thru the router, then your router will have a print server function where its "present" the printer to your LAN. This typically is done in 1 of 2 ways.
  1. It presents it as a SMB device and/or it present it as a LPD device which may/may-not do IPP.
  2. In this case, Your router IS the print server.
Assuming you have set the router up correctly, you will set it in your Microsoft Network Neighborhood if it is case 1 above. Otherwise, you will have to load a LPD client that your PC (Microsot/Apple/LInux-Unix) will use to direct output to your printer. CUPS has a mechanism to assist you to see and connect to that type device.

Hope this helps you help us with correct information to help your printing issue.

steevieb

#7 Post by steevieb »

Did you get a .ppd file on the cd that came with the printer?
Copy it to /etc/cups/ppd and run 'Add Printer' and your printer should be found in the list.

RoyBell

#8 Post by RoyBell »

Hi "gcmatin", "steevieb",
I have accessed the printer before but the problem was - not having the correct driver.
The output was just blank pages. The printer is also in use with "Other" operating systems as a network printer.

There is no CD supplied with the printer. Its plug and "Pray"!
The drivers are in firmware and it connects to the internet on installation for updates.

I had a Linux driver as supplied by Epson via their website.
What I needed to do was install it using "unrpm.pet".

When I finally managed to download "unrpm" I had to search around to find out how to use it.
I used the command line to unpack the driver but it didn't say where the unpacked file had been put.

The final part of the jigsaw was supplied by "steevieb" with the pathname.

After going back to the printer installation window I was able to point to the driver and got a successful install.

The learning curve rising! Not bad for a 65 year old silver surfer!!

Thanks to you both for all your help.

One last question.
Where do I pass on the link to the Epson page where they supply Linux drivers?