Slacko 5.3.3-RC2 (5.3.2.4[0])

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
grump

#381 Post by grump »

Here is something odd I just found ... it seems that 5.3.2.1 runs a semitone sharp.

Being a very amateur electric bass player my usual method of practice is this:

I plug the bass into the mic socket on this laptop, then in Retrovol I enable the mic (with mic boost selected). Then I start Audacious and play along with some tracks in my practice set list, using headphones. This method works quite well once the various volumes are set.

Sometimes I use Lingot tuner to tune the bass - nice little app. Now here is what happened just now:

I wanted to re-do a bootable usb stick of 5.3.2.1 to try out the broadcom pet on my HP Mini, so rebooted with a 5.3.2.1 CD and made the usb. After that I started to have a practice as above, but noticed that the Lingot tuner was telling me I was a semi-tone flat. I checked with my 'stand-alone' Boss tuner, but all was ok. I then tried playing along to a track with Tuxguitar, and I sounded flat against that, and the tuner in Tuxguitar said I was flat as well. However, when playing against a track on Audacious I was in tune again. Odd, I thought.

So back to 5.3.1 ... the Lingot tuner now says I am in tune.

So it seems that 5.3.2.1 runs a semitone sharp!

Using a Toshiba A200 lappy about 8 years old.

btw the songs I played were:
Heroes - David Bowie
NY Mining Disaster - Bee Gees
Substitute - The Who
Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty
Roll Over Beethoven - my band's version

01micko

#382 Post by 01micko »

grump.. now that is an odd one,, nothing much is changed in multimedia.. you did get one of the 3,2 kernel alphas right? Can you reproduce that flatness? So far, that's the biggest showstopper in my eyes, I play too. (see WWW below)

gcmartin.. I see your situation, it seems a full ctrl-alt-bkspc is needed to set the correct hostname, not good, In my opinion, once X is started then it's way too late to correctly reset hostname, it really needs to be a reboot... or set very early on in the boot process, especially in a live environment. If I were the constructor of the GUI that reset hostname I would advise a full reboot before it is certain that hostname has been correctly reset, This is true of ALL puppies, even though it may appear to be correct, the kernel really does need a reboot if hostname is set under GUI
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#383 Post by zigbert »

Why is UTF-8 off by default?
Rox shows non-english chars in filenames correct, - other apps don't.
Viewnoir fails to load the image whithout UTF-8. Geeqie makes it.

Jades

#384 Post by Jades »

zigbert wrote:Why is UTF-8 off by default?
Backward compatibility with older operating systems, UTF-8 can cause unexpected weirdness on those without support for it.
zigbert wrote:Rox shows non-english chars in filenames correct, - other apps don't.
Some apps probably have limited character-set support, or need it to be set manually. I usually use ISO-8859-1 (AKA Latin-1) as I'm a Brit but ISO-8859-15 (Latin-9) is probably a better choice due to improved foreign character support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859 gives a good rundown. ISO character sets were superseded by UTF-8 and Unicode.

I'm sure some versions of Lupu used to allow you to toggle UTF-8 and choose character set but I can't put my finger on where to do it. Used to be in Personalise Settings.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

gcmartin

#385 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote:grump.. now that is an odd one,, ...

gcmartin.. I see your situation, ...
@Grump. (this is NON-authorative for I am a mulitmedia "MIC" beginner in Linux); but i seem to remember in PSIP testing about the differences from Puppy distro to distro about the Mic sections of the tools we use; namely Retrovol and the other. Seems that the Mic boost on certain distro actually does NOT produce acceptable results. Maybe a little review of which setting is helpful when using SLACKO might generate better results...maybe.

@01Micko. What I am aware of is simply that a logout seems to alway work. I have appealed to @Shinobar several weeks ago about whether FirstRUN can "enforce" that. For some reason, something you and Playdayz did "fixed" it in Puppy 5.28. Further, (I believe) TaZoC also did something when he generated LH64 5.14 because his use of FirstRUN behavior works same/similar as Puppy 5.28.

Heop this helps

grump

#386 Post by grump »

Lingot is listening to mains hum - should be 50 Hz.

I had played with the CPU frequency scaling because the fan on this lappy is nearly always on and it's getting noisy, so I disabled the tool and rebooted before I had Lingot listening to mains hum (thumb on end of instrument lead does the trick).

Edit to add: I just checked in 5.3.1, and lingot says 50.12 Hz. I installed it in 5.3.1, and use the 5.3.1 save file when testing 5.3.2.1.
Attachments
mains hum.png
(34.93 KiB) Downloaded 1971 times

Billtoo

Slacko 5.3.3-beta ..testing (5.3.2.1)

#387 Post by Billtoo »

I made a pet of Thunderbird 10.0.1
Compiled and tested in Slacko 5.3.3 beta

I compiled and made a pet of the latest release.

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-f87f5d4e.html
Attachments
tbscrn.jpg
(144.36 KiB) Downloaded 1539 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.

cthisbear

#388 Post by cthisbear »

I know what your problem is grump .

I reckon 01micko got taught tuning by Red Symonds.

::::::::::

Can't find the infamous Hey! Hey! clip....bugger.

Chris.

Terryphi

#389 Post by Terryphi »

zigbert wrote:Why is UTF-8 off by default?
Rox shows non-english chars in filenames correct, - other apps don't.
Viewnoir fails to load the image whithout UTF-8. Geeqie makes it.
Despite the warnings in this thread and elsewhere I have been running with UTF-8 set as default for over a year and have encountered no problems with any programs. I am using en_GB.utf8 and have everything set to use UTF-8 including mail programs.

I agree with zigbert. With Barry making internationalisation of Puppy easier it is time to consider moving to UTF-8 as the default encoding.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

shinobar

UTF-8

#390 Post by shinobar »

Terryphi wrote:Despite the warnings in this thread and elsewhere I have been running with UTF-8 set as default for over a year and have encountered no problems with any programs.
No problem in the history of the Japanese editions (ja_JP.UTF-8) since PuppyLinux 2.16.1JP on 2007.
Barry says UTF-8 slows scripts. It is right as for English, but UTF-8 is preferable for other languages, i suppose.

Another issue i would like to point out.
In the /etc/profile:

Code: Select all

# v426 recommended by MU, avoid crashing for non-English locales on some apps...
export LC_COLLATE=en_US
We Japanese do not know what application makes trouble without this setting.
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Terryphi

#391 Post by Terryphi »

shinobar wrote: Barry says UTF-8 slows scripts. It is right as for English, but UTF-8 is preferable for other languages, i suppose.
This has not been noticeable to me using en_GB.utf-8 (British English) for "normal" use. This may just be an issue to developers running demanding scripts.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

shinobar

Re: FirstRUN and system when hostname is changed

#392 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:Slacko SAMBA - The BUG - Shows original Hostname when NO logout has occurred for desktop user before SAMBA installation started
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=343

It is discussed many times on the environment variable HOSTNAME does not reflect the change with the Quickset/Firstrun/Personalize settings.
I think the fundamental issue is the script xwin restarts without re-evaluateing the /etc/profile other than the environment variable 'LANG'(see the last lines of '/usr/bin/xwin').

But practically, i guess no problem with the 'HOSTNAME' and no need to logout or even restart X(my firstrun does not restarts X if the change is only the hostname).
Actually, as for the samba server, restart is required for the samba server, not the X server.

My question is, who reads the 'HOSTNAME'?
As for the samba server, it does never read the variable 'HOSTNAME'. But the mick's 'simple samba settings' reads the variable 'HOSTNAME'. In this point of view, the script should read the output of the command 'hostname' instead of the variable 'HOSTNAME, that is $(hostname) rather than "$HOSTNAME" (~line 66).
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

Re: FirstRUN and system when hostname is changed

#393 Post by 01micko »

shinobar wrote: 'HOSTNAME, that is $(hostname) rather than "$HOSTNAME" (~line 66).
Yes, that solves it, though for true resetting of HOSTNAME a reboot is needed (for /etc/profile and kernel).

I will reupload samba with the fix.

Thanks, saves me a headache :lol:

~

I'm hoping to get RC out on Friday.

I'm in front with my homework now :)

sc0ttman

#394 Post by sc0ttman »

Terryphi wrote:
shinobar wrote: Barry says UTF-8 slows scripts. It is right as for English, but UTF-8 is preferable for other languages, i suppose.
This has not been noticeable to me using en_GB.utf-8 (British English) for "normal" use. This may just be an issue to developers running demanding scripts.
Forgive me if I am talking rubbish, shinobar is the expert here...

But just for the record, I run with UTF-8 enabled, sometimes in Russian, Spanish, whatever...
Having UTF-8 does not seem to slow things down in English, but it does get slower in other languages...
I have timed it, some things are definitely a bit slower in non-English UTF-8 locales.

However, I have found that when devs use a well placed 'LANG=C' inside (a function of) a shell script,
then you can remedy the slow down easily.. I have done this with Pup-Advert-Blocker on my system..

LANG should get reverted obviously.. So:

OLDLANG=$LANG
LANG=C
(do stuff)
LANG=$OLDLANG

But as long as you have the right LANG set when pulling in locale files,
then you can usually pretty much run the rest of the script with LANG=C
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

01micko

#395 Post by 01micko »

I just compiled samba

samba_full-3.6.3-s.pet

It includes Samba Simple Setup gui with shinobar's bugfix for hostname. I have done very limited testing, haven't tested printing yet.

Also, if you have a custom smb.conf the setup gui detects that and offers a way out before it starts.

The compile is slightly different, swat and private are in different locations, no big deal. It is the complete package with all binaries and libraries stripped, still only ~32M in size.

Configure args:

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-swat --enable-cups --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc --with-statedir=/var/locks --with-configdir=/etc/samba

Jasper

seaside's SFSdirload-standalone-0.3.pet as amended

#396 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko, seaside, technosaurus
and, for now, especially Puppy experts

Below is an excerpt from a thread from technosaurus. Any Puppy amateurs, like myself, should make a backup if they decide to try this small change of code.

Firstly. at least for now, my understanding is that it only works with JWM where it has a speed improve improvement over "fixmenus" of some fifteenfold.

This means that, even on my 1998 desktop (then high performing and still a pleasure to use even without a hard disk) I can load multiple (up to 7 in my case) sfs files and refresh the menus in a few seconds.

However, the screenshot below shows I currently get some additional Drive Icons which overlay my existing icons.

References:

from seaside http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 13f#590655

where his opening sentence reads
"SFSdirload-standalone-0.3 allows you to arrange your SFS files in directories and load each directories' sfs files all at once."

The change as in the screenshot is to
/root/.etc/rc.d/init.d/SFSdirload
but there alternative additions shown in the code below.

technosaurus wrote at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94&t=70804

"Forget about deciding whether to yaf-splash or gtkdialog-splash while creating jwm menus when it happens in <0.2 seconds _AND_ supports subcategory menus using only basic shell commands (no other requirements)

Thanks to amigo for his readline trick (and others) posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70238

usage:

#to get a menu without subcategories
jwm_menu_create && jwm -restart

#to get a menu with subcategories
SUBMENU=0 jwm_menu_create && jwm -restart

#to test with another language
LANG=de_JA SUBMENU=0 jwm_menu_create && jwm -restart
see the German translation for a localization template "

My regards

Note - I am using Slacko 5.3.1 Main. Though I have never used a Full installation - where this may be not or less applicable. Finally, if there are any questions please ask the experts.
Attachments
The extra drive icons .jpg
This would need fixing - perhaps it is already fixed in the latest Slacko.
(27.77 KiB) Downloaded 1321 times
The coding changes.jpg
See the two lines 22 &amp; 23 commented out and the two added lines at 24 &amp; 25.
(26.91 KiB) Downloaded 1258 times
Last edited by Jasper on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#397 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko,

The Drive Icon screenshot in my post immediately above was taken using Slacko 5.3.1 Main which is the only program I use apart from testing (and occasionally printing "Slacko data" from W98SE).

I have huge faith in your abilities which is why I added in the screenshot - "perhaps it is already fixed in the latest Slacko" so thank you for your most helpful explanation - where I'm pleased to read the Drive Icon quirk is resolved with a choice of displays.

I remain totally delighted with 5.3.1 - I just wanted to report on my effort to load many large sfs files and update the JWM menu in a few seconds.

My regards

PS I was also pleased to hear you're ahead with your college work.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Posted from this place holder after reading 01micko's response below.
Last edited by Jasper on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#398 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

My wife and I will be rather busy with three upcoming birthdays this month of younger family members - two 65ths and a 40th.

As I recall it was Lobster, stu90 and me who expressed the greatest interest in Linux Portable Apps. Recently stu90 kindly explained to me how he can make them - and I was going to forward his PMs to Lobster to see if I could be of any help in making some.

However, since multiple sfs files may be available with updated menus in a few seconds and as they are easily made from pets there seems little point in making Portable Apps.

My regards

PS I hope to find some time to test any new Main versions of Slacko.
Last edited by Jasper on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#399 Post by Jasper »

I wanted to automate libreoffice>Tools>Options>Memory>Enable systray Quickstarter (just from interest and because I like to minimise numbers of keystrokes and mouse movements).

After instalingl a version of the xdotool pet the following works:

xdotool key super+c
sleep 2
xdotool type libreoffice
sleep 2
xdotool key Return
sleep 6
xdotool key alt+T
sleep 2
xdotool key alt+O
sleep 2
xdotool key Down Arrow 
sleep .5
xdotool key Down Arrow 
sleep .5
xdotool key alt+e
sleep 1
xdotool key Return
sleep 1
xdotool key ctrl+q
sleep 1
xdotool key alt+z
Notes:
(1) The sleep times are unoptimised, specific to my computer, and hit and miss.
(2) In the first line I had already made a shortcut of Winkey+c to load my urxvt console.
(3) In the last line I had already added Alt+z (for zap) to JWM which closes windows exactly as Alt+F4 does - though, for me, more comfortably and easily reached.

My regards

The above works, but It took me more than 3 hours to achieve it. If anyone has a couple of minutes, or more, to spare to translate it into reasonably elegant code I would very much like that - though it is not important.
-----------------------------------------------------
I had already made this place holder so my apology that it is not purel Slacko.
Last edited by Jasper on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#400 Post by 01micko »

Jasper

At this point you can make a choice of which drive icons you prefer to keep.

The "new" ones are a feature of techno's jwm_tools and in Slacko they are turned off by default. If you want to keep those ones I'm sure you know how to run desksetup :wink: to remove drive icons (and in distros without desksetup run event manager).

To remove those drive icons, which are simply an extra jwm-tray, there is a configuration file ~/.jwm/JWMRC. Near the top of that file you will likely have DRIVES="1". Change that to DRIVES="", restart jwm and they will disappear. There is a YAD gui for configuration, but it is still a little buggy so there is no menu entry.

There is also a setting for submenus in that file, maybe you are aware?

HTH