Installing Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
figueroa

Installing Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice

#1 Post by figueroa »

Did you know that you can install Gimp 1.2 from Slackware 9.0 into an Option 2 Puppy 1.0.1 without any recompling or tweaking? Slackware 9.0 has a lot in common with Puppy, and Gimp 1.2 provides its own huge collection of lib files (probably one reason why it is so large - 13+ megs, which is 3-4 megs larger than Gimp 2.0).

Anyway, after unarchiving the Slackware tgz file and copying the files into the identical Puppy directories, I created the many simlinks called for in the Slackware installation script. I have used it to edit two icons without a glitch, an XPM file and a PNG.

This just about made my day. (Edit by Flash: Barry added Gimp to Pupget.)

Puppy is now the main OS on my 1 MHZ, 256 meg, 20 gig HD KDS laptop and instead of running like a dog (pun intended) it runs circles around every other Linux or Windows I've tried on this machine. The installation is a very fat puppy that includes OpenOffice 1.1.4, Firefox 1.0.3 and more goodies.
Andy Figueroa
figueroa@philippians-1-20.us

David

Installing Gimp?

#2 Post by David »

How did you install Firefox 1.01 and Open office? Did they have to be compiled or what?

figueroa

Re: Installing Gimp?

#3 Post by figueroa »

David wrote:How did you install Firefox 1.01 and Open office? Did they have to be compiled or what?
Very simple. I downloaded the Firefox 1.0.3 tarball, expanded it with:

tar xvzf nameoftarball.tgz (or it may have been ____.tar.gz which means the same thing), which puts the installation files into a directory, then ran the installation script, chosing to put the active installation into /opt/firefox just to keep it out of the way of official Puppy software. (Puppy doesn't use the /opt directory.)

Open Office the same way. When you expand the tarball you'll find PDF installtion instructions in the directory with the installation files. It's worth reading.
Andy Figueroa

Paul

Size???

#4 Post by Paul »

How big did OpenOffice expand too? I'm looking for some sort of Office Suite but not something that will greatly expand from the 60 MB i'm running right now.

figueroa

Re: Size???

#5 Post by figueroa »

Paul wrote:How big did OpenOffice expand too? I'm looking for some sort of Office Suite but not something that will greatly expand from the 60 MB i'm running right now.
A lot! 200 megs. It's also resource intensive. Not recommended for less than 128 megs of RAM or CPUs slower than 400 MHZ or so. If you don't need the features, it's not such a good idea. But, for my main desktop and laptop, I need it for presentations and excellent MS Office compatibility.
Andy Figueroa

klhrevolutionist

I don't understand

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I just downloaded open office from openoffice.org
and installed it with it's installer???
Did you all know we could do that??

was the issue pertaining to people wanting it on the livecd???

Bruce B

Re: I don't understand

#7 Post by Bruce B »

klhrevolutionist wrote:I just downloaded open office from openoffice.org
and installed it with it's installer???
Did you all know we could do that??

was the issue pertaining to people wanting it on the livecd???
That's the way to do it. It works fine with Puppy.

I just think some people thought OO didn't work with Puppy. Well done!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

OO status

#8 Post by Lobster »

neat

:)

Did you try the beta 2 too?

I think I will await the Pupget in 1.0.4, which is smaller . . . (a mini OO just for Pup)

I must admit I did NOT know we could just install OO
OK - wot other progs can we just install? - I tried Thunderbird (great if you are using Firefox) which is about 10 meg but installed and ran OK.

I officially declare Puppy to be Brilliant! (that is in my official capacity in which I have to wear a saucepan on my head - pictures to follow)

OO has good language support? Does this mean we can WP in Mongolian (should the need arise)?

Hey - Is Puppy good or is Puppy Good? (Clue: Puppy is good)

And remember kids - don't do drugs - unless you get a good deal
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

OO beta

#9 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Open Office beta, I downloaded it but seen a bunch of rpms and debs no installer and did not want to mess with all that stuff so I dunno
Very good question what other stuff JUST works with puppy???
And I would also like to know if anybody has gotten ymessenger to work with puppy and any good games???

Don't be a stingy pup :)