Firefox update on Feb 18,2012 is very bad

Using applications, configuring, problems
Moose On The Loose

Firefox update on Feb 18,2012 is very bad

#1 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I have now downloaded Google Chrom so that I can post this here. When Firefox restarted after the update it straight away locked up. I can't tell you the version because I can't even get to the "about"

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Probably 10.0.2. Any messages when opening from a shell? Perhaps a different build? Slacko?

dk60902

#3 Post by dk60902 »

I'm running 10.0.2 on a Frugal install of 5.2.8 with no problems.

Dannello

#4 Post by Dannello »

I'm running Lupu 5.2.8 and I have similar problem. When I access certain pages (I can't tell if it's Java or Flash that triggers it) the window freezes, CPU drops to zero, and it just hangs for a good 1-1.5 minutes.

I've updated both flash and JRE versions, can't figure out what's doing it...

[edit: I'm running on a full install]

Tman

#5 Post by Tman »

The latest is not always the greatest. I find Firefox 7.0.1 to be last stable release of Firefox. At least for me, anyways.

Dannello

How I fixed firefox 10.0.2

#6 Post by Dannello »

update:

I launched from terminal and got this error:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.10' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)

And from that error, I found this page: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... e658ad4300

Now, I found the error under Retroguy's post, and he recommended

"This time the "fix" seems to be to rename /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so to "libnssutil3.so.old", and symbolically link the file from /usr/lib/firefox//libnssutil3.so back to that /usr/lib/..."

This was not sufficient, I got another error:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so: undefined symbol: PL_ClearArenaPool
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so: undefined symbol: PL_ClearArenaPool

So then the post below recommends:
"I have symlinked all the /usr/lib/firefox folder libs to the /usr/lib and removed all previous versions. Seems to work. And it is also more foolproof for next lib dependency."

So I went through the process of renaming the files in /usr/bin: libnspr4.so.old libnssutil3.so.old libplds4.so.old libssl3.so.old libnss3.so.old libplc4.so.old libsmime3.so.old

Then sym-linking (read: use the middle mouse-button to drag the files and select the "Link: Absolute" option) those files from /usr/lib/firefox/ into /usr/lib/
libnspr4.so
libnssutil3.so
libplds4.so
libssl3.so
libnss3.so
libplc4.so
libsmime3.so

This fixed firefox for me, I hope it helps Moose On The Loose (and others with this problem) too. If it does Moose, please rename thread to (solved)?

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

If you are using Lucid Puppy 528:

Firefox versions 7 and 8 had issues with updating in Lucid 528. They would get broken if updated thru Firefox.
They needed to be specially compiled for Lucid 528.
If you get Firefox, from Quickpet->internet pets, it should work.
Firefox, version 9.0.1-2 and newer, seem to be fine to update within Firefox.
Here is Firefox 10, specifically compiled for Lucid 528.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firefox-10-Lucid.pet

I would uninstall, the version of Firefox you have now, and install this one. Updating within Firefox should work OK with this one.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

RJARRRPCGP

Re: How I fixed firefox 10.0.2

#8 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

Dannello wrote:update:

I launched from terminal and got this error:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.10' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)

And from that error, I found this page: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... e658ad4300

Now, I found the error under Retroguy's post, and he recommended

"This time the "fix" seems to be to rename /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so to "libnssutil3.so.old", and symbolically link the file from /usr/lib/firefox//libnssutil3.so back to that /usr/lib/..."

This was not sufficient, I got another error:

So then the post below recommends:
"I have symlinked all the /usr/lib/firefox folder libs to the /usr/lib and removed all previous versions. Seems to work. And it is also more foolproof for next lib dependency."

So I went through the process of renaming the files in /usr/bin: libnspr4.so.old libnssutil3.so.old libplds4.so.old libssl3.so.old libnss3.so.old libplc4.so.old libsmime3.so.old

Then sym-linking (read: use the middle mouse-button to drag the files and select the "Link: Absolute" option) those files from /usr/lib/firefox/ into /usr/lib/
libnspr4.so
libnssutil3.so
libplds4.so
libssl3.so
libnss3.so
libplc4.so
libsmime3.so

This fixed firefox for me, I hope it helps Moose On The Loose (and others with this problem) too. If it does Moose, please rename thread to (solved)?
I just replace all the mentioned files with the ones from the firefox directory in the /usr/lib directory.

Turns out it was related to other libraries that are outdated, even when it appeared to be blaming a library that's current. :(

RJARRRPCGP

#9 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

It looks a lot like the last error about an undefined reference to PL_ClearArenaPool is because of libplds4.so.

whoguy

#10 Post by whoguy »

Hi all,

I just did micko1's suggestion of adding the line

[ -d /usr/lib/firefox ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to my etc/profile file.

Works a treat and I do not have to worry about always symlinking after every update.

Hope it works for you... cheers

dk60902

#11 Post by dk60902 »

After FF updated to 11 from 10, it started locking up. I restored my backup savefile, which has FF10. I'll try micko's suggestion.

playdayz

#12 Post by playdayz »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 111#612111

If you are using Lucid or 3HD you should use this new Firefox 11 pet. The problem with FF 8, 9, and 10 updates is fixed so it should update properly at least for a while.

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

I agree with the OP.. ff (probably 10.0.2) is rubbish, I compiled from source on Slacko and passed it on like a hot potato. Seamonkey, though very similar source worked well enough, but I am using Iron lately daily.Have not had an issue.

For those that don't know, Iron is a fork of Chromium, the parent of Google-Chrome, all the data mining stuff is apparently removed. It is available on Slacko and Lupu.

If mozilla don't lift their game soon I will be dumping them completely, and I have been a mozilla user since 1.0 (former netscape user :wink: ).
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

natgab

#14 Post by natgab »

This thread clears up my problems!

I had just made a new HDD install last night. I chose FF7 for install and after about 2 hours it tells me about the update. I clicked yes and after that nothing but lock ups and a forced reboots. I blamed the new HDD install, thinking something go messed up compared to my usual USB version.

I just did another clean full install of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8, I am running FF3.6x that comes with the install. I was afraid of even using FF7 :lol: Is the FF10 pet ok for me to install, since I have the 3.6FF?

Thanks
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

out-foxxed

Firefox anguish

#15 Post by out-foxxed »

Quick background: Got bad virus on home XP computer, reinstalled with dual boot XP and puppy using the method outlined by rcrsn51. Been happy ever since.

Was using 525 with Firefox 10.2 and then auto update to 11 happened-> anguish. Firefox hangs as every one mentioned.

I have hence went to 528 update(copied the 3 files and rebooted) and tried firefox 10 (via bigpup download) and then later to firefox 11 (via playdayz) to NO luck. Please note: I did delete any mention of firefox or mozilla that I could see prior to the installs above.

I have also copied the lib*.so files previous mentioned to /usr/lib from /usr/lib/firefox. This helped some but still hangs most of the time.

Now what to try, I like Firefox but this is frustrating as we all have mentioned.
Thanks in advance

whoguy

#16 Post by whoguy »

In reply to Out-foxxed

Why don't you just add the line
[ -d /usr/lib/firefox ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to your etc/profile file

It's too easy!!! Just do it!!! It'll fix it permanently..... Forget about copying library files or symlinking.... Just declare your Library path in your /etc/profile file and be done with it!!!!

It's not at all hard to fix.... just do it will ya!!!

Don't forget to reboot after you've added the line.