Hand-holding needed: Pro/Wireless and /root, etc.

Booting, installing, newbie
Foucault

#21 Post by Foucault »

billstclair wrote:You didn't say which version of Puppy you're using. If it's Puppy 2.0x, the driver proper for the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG is part of Puppy. But it's missing the firmware and the scripts to load the firmware. "ipw2200-fw-2.4.pup" in the "Dotpups" section at http://s3.amazonaws.com/puppy/index.html contains a packaging I did of the firmware, along with a "wireless" script for loading the driver, configuring it to connect to any unencrypted base station, and starting dhcpcd. You'll have to modify that script if you use encryption, and you'll probably have to change eth0 to eth1. Or you can use WAG in the Puppy network tools, after installing the dotpup.
It puzzles me a little that the driver would be part of Puppy, but it's missing parts! I did notice on boot-up that the wireless seems to be recognized. Is this just an oversight, or a technical issue I'm not brainy enough to comprehend?

Anyhoo, I'm not having much luck with billstclair's ipw2200-fw-2.4.pup referred to above, and I'm sure it's my failure to know what I'm doing. I downloaded it to the C drive (I was kind of puzzled that although it had a .pup extension, it downloaded with a .zip extension????). Anyway, I booted Puppy, and mounted (a completely alien concept to me!) the C: drive and located the file at /initrd/mnt/dev_save. I dragged the file (using Rox) to the home directory and clicked on it. I thought I extracted it, but from this point onwards I'm lost. I tried running Wag, but it doesn't seem to recognize anything, and I don't understand how it works. Can someone help me with this part?
Rickrandom wrote:With a bit of luck Puppy's NTFS read/write capability will be proven in a few days, and we can all save to an NTFS hard disk without the need for USB sticks, etc.
Perhaps I should just hold fire on the USB stick, if the latest Puppy's going to enable us to save to NTFS. I don't think I can justify owning a stick for any other purpose. I don't suppose that release will automatically take care of my wireless card woes will it?

Foucault

#22 Post by Foucault »

The great news is that version 2.02, with its ability to write to NTFS, allows me to save my settings - WOOHOO! :D

Unfortunately (I shoulda known!) it doesn't automatically solve my wireless network woes. :(

Those coming in fresh to this discussion should read earlier messages in this thread where billstclair offered the use of a driver package he'd put together for this wireless card. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with it. I really need someone to take me step by step through the process of getting this into Puppy and working. I'd really appreciate it.

UPDATE 8/5: I've been working with billstclair in the background trying to get this to work. We're getting closer, but with the time that both of us have to work on this, it's slow progress. We found that WAG is not working in 2.02, so I've been using billstclair's driver package and script.

Our latest challenge is getting wpa-personal encryption working. That's what I'd already set up on the router and in Windows on my laptop. I'd rather not have to change that if I don't have to.

I'll update as I get further along.