Xircom 10/100 RE-100 Adapter not working

FlashTrevor

Xircom 10/100 RE-100 Adapter not working

#1 Post by FlashTrevor »

Please help a linux beginner:

I have installed MACPUP which in general I believe is one of the best OS's and DISTROs I have seen. It is so fast and takes up no space, and even the Ability to run live without installation is very fast.

Now onto the real point - the out of the box solution does not enable PCMCIA bus by default.

I have enabled this following several forums posts by using the command:
modprobe yenta_socket

I save this configuration so that it now detects the PCMCIA on startup, and correctly locates an adapter in location 0.

Now to detect the network card - this doesn't work using either of the network wizards. I then manually loaded the Xircom PCMCIA module included in the package xirc2ps_cs - this loads but doesn't correctly detect the card.

If I run
pccardctl eject and then
pccardctl insert commands it makes no difference.

I have tried dusing the pccardctl info command to list what it has found but it contains a blank list of PRODID and MANFIDs.

lsmod
shows the module by not being used by anything.

I briefly tried using the NDIS wrapper but the .inf file included by windows contains multiple adapaters and as such doesn't help me identify and correctly load for my adapter.

Please help as I would really like to get this old laptop online - it has breathed new life into all my old machines, and this appears to be the last hurdle.

ravenxau

#2 Post by ravenxau »

I have a xircom 10/100 in a Compaq presario 1685 laptop - Using puppy 2.16.1, run the network wizard - it *should* autodetect, if not select the tulip module at the bottom of the list during the network wizard. Then Auto DCHP.

hope this help, as it works fine on my system

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

What does PupScan show for the card in question.

I haven't used a Xircom card in ages now. I sold the Laptop I was using it on and gave away the rest of my 16bit pcmcia ethernet cards.

If wanting to gather more info. Run

Code: Select all

lspci -n

post in next post. I will go to

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

and paste your readout there.

To see what is going on with that pcmcia card and post the results here.