how to rip DVD to hard drive?

Using applications, configuring, problems
smokey01

Re: Copy DVD Utility

#21 Post by smokey01 »

It should work.

Have you read the help? Click on the life buoy.

You put a DVD in your drive, click on copy and file called your.iso will be created in /mnt/home

Once copied you put a blank DVD in your drive and the file your.iso will be burned to your new disk.

If you are copying a protected DVD the process may not work.

If you have only one DVD drive it should be called sr0 and not need changing.

Good luck.

GaRailroader wrote:Smokey01:

Puppy 5.28.

GaRailroader

GaRailroader

Re: Copy DVD Utility

#22 Post by GaRailroader »

Smokey01:

I uninstalled the pet and reinstalled it to revert the script back to original. I have a DVD in my drive and if I click copy nothing happens. I've looked in mnt/home and it has not created a file called your.iso. If I click on the sr0 icon on the desktop that it opens the DVD in xine. What was making me think it may be the /dev/dvd reference is because if I navigate to the /dev folder and click on /dev/dvd I get an error message that reads 'I don't know how to open dev/dvd' I assume I should be able to open a DVD in that manner. Thanks for your time on this.

GaRailroader

nubc

#23 Post by nubc »

The Copy button and the Burn button on CopyDVD do not work. If I click either button, there is a flash of something (square frame) and then nothing.

smokey01

#24 Post by smokey01 »

nubc wrote:The Copy button and the Burn button on CopyDVD do not work. If I click either button, there is a flash of something (square frame) and then nothing.
What version of Puppy are you using?

nubc

#25 Post by nubc »

I am using Wary 5.1.1 full install. You may recall that, with assistance, I got the ripping function to work. Now I would like for the rest of copyDVD features to work.

smokey01

#26 Post by smokey01 »

nubc, try this one. I compiled it especially for Wary5.

http://www.smokey01.com/software/utilit ... 1.0-w5.pet

nubc

#27 Post by nubc »

I tried the program running Wary 5.1.1 as a live CD, and it behaved much like the other CopyDVD, except nothing really worked. It wouldn't copy, it wouldn't rip, clicking the Burn button caused a flash of a square frame and then nothing. My experience is that Wary 5.1.1 and Wary 5.2.x are very different Puppies.
Last edited by nubc on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#28 Post by smokey01 »

I thought Wary 5.1 & 5.2 used the same kernel, maybe not.

Do you have a /mnt/home/ directory? I don't use full installs very often so am not sure.

It worked fine here on Wary 5.2. It might be a while before I will have time to investigate further.

Maybe CatDude can have a look.

pemasu

#29 Post by pemasu »

Maybe the DVD has copy protection ?

smokey01

#30 Post by smokey01 »

This one should work.
http://www.smokey01.com/software/multim ... ary511.pet

pemasu is quite right, It won't get around copy protection.
nubc wrote:I tried the program running Wary 5.1.1 as a live CD, and it behaved much like the other CopyDVD, except nothing really worked. It wouldn't copy, it wouldn't rip, clicking the Burn button caused a flash of a square frame and then nothing. My experience is that Wary 5.1.1 and Wary 5.2.x are very different Puppies.

smokey01

#31 Post by smokey01 »

nubc you owe me a huge beer or two.

nubc

#32 Post by nubc »

Thanks for the extra work, smokey. This version seems to be working, much better, good responses from clicking buttons, particularly Rip. Question: What about shrinking the VOB file? I read the CopyDVD help page and it says the program makes an exact copy image, nothing about shrinking the image as Pburn does. The original VOB of this movie is 6.4 GB, and my single-layer DVD media has a capacity of 4.7 GB. Pburn generated a shrank VOB of 3.7 GB. If I click the shrank VOB file, the movie plays in VLC. Please advise.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 03:50, edited 2 times in total.

whoguy

#33 Post by whoguy »

Hey nubc,

Just read this link.... you can rip without installing anything else....

https://sites.google.com/site/dvdrippingwithpuppylinux/

Cheers

nubc

#34 Post by nubc »

@whoguy
Thanks for the tip, looks interesting.

I did successfully rip this particular DVD with smokey's copyDVD program. Does this fact imply that the DVD is not copy protected?

Please note: This thread has morphed from DVD ripping to smokey's copyDVD program to burning a DVD.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

whoguy

#35 Post by whoguy »

No idea nubc,

I found most commercial dvd's have some sort of encryption... some rippers fair better than others.... If one doesn't work, I just try something else... it don't bother me what copy protection scheme they use.

smokey01

#36 Post by smokey01 »

nubc wrote:Thanks for the extra work, smokey. This version seems to be working, much better, good responses from clicking buttons, particularly Rip. Question: What about shrinking the VOB file? I read the CopyDVD help page and it says the program makes an exact copy image, nothing about shrinking the image as Pburn does. The original VOB of this movie is 6.4 GB, and my single-layer DVD media has a capacity of 4.7 GB. Pburn generated a shrank VOB of 3.7 GB. If I click the shrank VOB file, the movie plays in VLC. Please advise.
nubc if you want to shrink as well try Handbrake. It rips 3 x faster than viewing and shrinks most movies to about 1G.

http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_pack ... 5-i486.pet

This is the Saluki version, it works great on Saluki.

nubc

#37 Post by nubc »

I installed Handbrake on this Wary 5.1.1 full install, but nothing happens when I call it from menu tree.

I installed Handbrake while running Saluki live CD, but I can't get Saluki's Pmount to see the optical drive, any optical drive. Pmount shows the movie title in the floppy drive as vfat 1 MB . No idea why the DVD burner doesn't show as an optical drive. The movie plays in VLC, obtained from package manager.

What about burning a file that has been ripped to hard drive, working with that file instead, and maybe using another app or command to shrink the file by half. Pburn generated a shrunk VOB but that file won't burn now. I have burned this file at some time, but it wouldn't play with VLC. So maybe I could rip the movie to hard drive with copyDVD, shrink it, and then burn it. Opinions? Suggestions?

At the risk of seeming ungrateful, I wish copyDVD had another button, Shrink. It would seem that most movies exceed the 4.7GB limit, and need to be shrunk.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#38 Post by nubc »

Working with Handbrake on Saluki live CD

smokey01

#39 Post by smokey01 »

nubc I'm a little confused on what you are trying to achieve.

My little program CopyDVD only does three things:

1. Rips a DVD to a single VOB file,
2. Burns a VOB file to a DVD, and
3 Rips a DVD to a MP4 file.

I did not implement shrinking of the file as I did not require it at the time.

If I want to shrink a file I generally use Handbrake which does a great job. It will rip a DVD to an MP4 file and shrink it at the same time.

To copy and shrink a DVD I use Pdvdrsab which is abbreviated from Puppy DVD Rip Shrink Author Burn.

Pburn is also able to do most of the above.

nubc

#40 Post by nubc »

Thanks for the clarification and info, smokey. What am I trying to achieve? I am trying to find an alternative to Pburn when that program consistently failed to burn the movie DVD. I am making progress with Handbrake, but I need to change a parameter because it's taking over 4 hours to generate a 3.7 GB VOB. I believe I now have the resources to accomplish my goals, and appreciate your help very much. Prolly gonna call this thread solved, very shortly. I was a bit thrown by a bug in Saluki's Pmount, but I didn't really need it anyway. Sorry to be rambling about lately, but I have been on this personal project for over 20 hours, during the last week. First time I ever burned a movie DVD.