Retrovol 0.13.1 (Volume mixer)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Subito Piano

#121 Post by Subito Piano »

NO -- i did before though...

Subito Piano

#122 Post by Subito Piano »

It was working fine - not sure what i did but it simply quit working and the tray icon disappeared. :?

Pizzasgood

#123 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you get that compile error about lX11, do this before compiling.

Code: Select all

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11R7/lib"
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Subito Piano

#124 Post by Subito Piano »

?? I used the pet from p. 1 of this post..shouldn't that work?

Argolance

#125 Post by Argolance »

thank you!
If you get that compile error about lX11, do this before compiling.
Code:
What is strange is that I didn't encountered this error message last times I compiled retrovol (Puppy 4.31)! Is there any modification of your source files which could explain this?

Regards.

mini-jaguar

#126 Post by mini-jaguar »

Should I remove the retrovol that came with 5.2.8 before installing this?

Karl Godt

#127 Post by Karl Godt »

Subito Piano wrote:It was working fine - not sure what i did but it simply quit working and the tray icon disappeared. :?
Make sure the relevant sound drivers are loaded (correctly)
and the device nodes are in the correct directory in /dev
AND they have the right rw permissions (root AND user) .

Retrovol has the annoying feature to quit totally if it encounters some errors while accessing the device nodes in these regards .

Pizzasgood

#128 Post by Pizzasgood »

Argolance wrote:What is strange is that I didn't encountered this error message last times I compiled retrovol (Puppy 4.31)! Is there any modification of your source files which could explain this?
Yes. Until now, there was not an explicit inclusion of libX11 in retrovol. It happened automatically. But recently something changed (probably in the linker) which changed how libraries get included. I haven't read up on what actually happened, but the end result is that in the distros that included that change, many things that used to compile stopped compiling. So I had to add a -lX11 to the linker flags, which solves that problem.

Unfortunately, some quirk of earlier Puppies (up to at least 4.x, but apparently not 5.25) resulted in them tending to have issues locating Xorg's libraries. I remember solving it once, but it was years ago. I think I just had to edit /etc/ld.so.conf or something, so that it would look in /usr/X11R7/lib.

What is odd is that Puppy 4.x would locate libX11 just fine when it was included automatically, but when included explicitly it failed.
mini-jaguar wrote:Should I remove the retrovol that came with 5.2.8 before installing this?
I haven't used 5.2.8 so I can't give you a simple "yes" or "no", but you probably don't need to remove it. What you can do to check though is find out where it is installed by running "which retrovol". If the binary is at /usr/bin/ (NOT /usr/local/bin), then there is no need to remove the old version. It will simply be overwritten. If for some reason it is installed at /usr/local/bin instead (which is the case for the 4.x version of the retrovol package), then you'd need to remove the old package first.
Subito Piano wrote:?? I used the pet from p. 1 of this post..shouldn't that work?
The problem is not with retrovol. It sounds like your system stopped recognizing your sound card for some reason. I couldn't tell you why; I don't actually know much about the nuts and bolts of Linux audio (I only managed to create retrovol via the power of extreme stubbornness). Try the things Karl said. Maybe do the sound wizard.

And Karl's right about retrovol, I need to make it more robust sometime. It would be cool if it could handle multiple sound cards simultaneously as well, instead of just one or the other - I hadn't really worried about that before, but I now know that USB microphones and such tend to show up as an entirely different card, so managing one of those via retrovol is probably a pain. These are things that probably won't happen for a while though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

mini-jaguar

#129 Post by mini-jaguar »

This isn't working correctly: the original retrovol was in usr/bin, so I just install retrovol 0.12. It looks just like the retrovol I replaced (no extra sliders or controls). So then I use "remove built-in programs" take out retrovol, use the package manager to remove the one I installed. Reboot. Retrovol is still there. So then I trash the actual bin and reboot. It's finally gone.

Then I reinstall 0.12. To my surprise it looks just like original one that was built in to Puppy.

I want the one with the line input/mic switch and separate volumes and all that stuff that people are posting about. Did I download the wrong one?

Pizzasgood

#130 Post by Pizzasgood »

Every soundcard has its own set of controls that it provides. Some have many, while others only have a couple. Retrovol doesn't magically create any new ones; it just shows the ones that exist on your particular soundcard. Any control that shows up in Alsamixer should appear in Retrovol, as long as you haven't opened the config window and set up a custom layout. If there are controls that show up in Alsamixer and do not show up in Retrovol, then there might be an error.

After re-reading your post, I wonder if what you mean is that you can't get the window to show up at all? Right-click on the icon instead of left-clicking, and either the full window will appear, or a menu with an option to open the full window will appear, depending on how it is configured.

If you have a USB microphone, it could be that it shows up as the first soundcard and the real soundcard is showing up as the second. The easy way to test that is to compare the results of running "alsamixer -c 0" and "alsamixer -c 1". If that second command pulls up the set of controls you want, then you'll need to go into the configure window for retrovol and set it to use hw:1 instead of hw:0.

mini-jaguar

#131 Post by mini-jaguar »

No, I don't have a USB mic, I just want to be able to select between line and mic for the input, as you can in Windows.

L18L

#132 Post by L18L »

Pizzasgood wrote:Okay, 0.12 is uploaded.

Warning: The gtk in the puppies I tested on (4.1.2 and 5.25) doesn't seem to like the localization files. Not sure if it's just a fonts issue or what. Works fine in my Arch install, where I originally tested everything. Looks like it's a UTF-8 issue of some sort. Probably something you guys with the non-English Puppies already fixed ages ago? Spits out messages like this:

(retrovol:5747): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 24: Invalid UTF-8 encoded text in name - not valid 'Lautst\x34rke: 21%'
Anyway, it looks like it still runs just fine, only some of the text gets goofed.
I just want to let you know:
localization is working fine with me :D
running racy5225
retrovol-0.12.pet installed

If your locale does not have utf8 activated then you must use:

OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8
export OUTPUT_CHARSET
HTH

darkcity

#133 Post by darkcity »

if I change the sound card option in

Config > Hardware

to hw:1

retrovol crashes and will not start without a manual edit of /root/.retrovolrc

---

I wonder if the error could be handled in a more user friendly way?

shinobar

Re: 0.12

#134 Post by shinobar »

L18L wrote:localization is working fine with me :D
running racy5225
retrovol-0.12.pet installed
Me too in Japanese.
431JP93(testing) + retrovol-0.12-puppy4.pet + Japanese mo.
Attachments
retrovol_ja.png
retrovol-0.12 in Japanese
(515 Bytes) Downloaded 1068 times
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

Compiling

#135 Post by shinobar »

Pizzasgood wrote:If you get that compile error about lX11, do this before compiling.

I request --prefix=/usr. Otherwise, the localedir becomes /usr/local/share/locale, abnormal place for Puppies. /usr/share/locale is the normal place.

# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --host=i486-t2-linux-gnu
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

technosaurus

#136 Post by technosaurus »

CXXFLAGS=" -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS  -mno-accumulate-outgoing-args -pipe -combine -Os -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -march=i486 -mtune=i686 "  CFLAGS=" -mno-accumulate-outgoing-args -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS -pipe -combine -Os -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmerge-all-constants -march=i486 -mtune=i686 " LDFLAGS="  -Wl,-O4,-Os,-relax,--sort-common,--gc-sections,--as-needed,-s " ./configure --disable-rpath --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
if you let autotools link in all the pkg-config dependencies you lose all portability so I manually did this:

g++ -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS   -pipe -combine -Os -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -march=i486 -mtune=i686   -Wl,-O4,-Os,-relax,--sort-common,--gc-sections,--as-needed,-s  -o retrovol alsa_classes.o config_settings.o config_window.o eggtrayicon.o main.o retro_slider.o -lasound -lgtk-x11-2.0
or assuming you use shared libraries you can modify src/Makefile.am
--- retrovol_LDADD = -lasound -lX11 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0
+++ retrovol_LDADD = -lasound -lgtk-x11-2.0
a more "proper" fix would be:
retrovol_LDADD = -lasound `pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`
(and leave it up to distros to rectify the pkg-config files appropriately so that future updates don't break due to unnecessary direct dependencies)

and now the size is under 50kb and more portable

here are the direct dependencies now:
  • # objdump -x retrovol-0.12T-i486/usr/bin/retrovol |grep NEEDED
    NEEDED libasound.so.2
    NEEDED libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libstdc++.so.6
    NEEDED libm.so.6
    NEEDED libc.so.6
    NEEDED libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libcairo.so.2
    NEEDED libX11.so.6
    NEEDED libgobject-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libglib-2.0.so.0
This is what they were:
  • # objdump -x retrovol-0.12/usr/bin/retrovol |grep NEEDED
    NEEDED libasound.so.2
    NEEDED libX11.so.6
    NEEDED libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libatk-1.0.so.0
    NEEDED libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
    NEEDED libpango-1.0.so.0
    NEEDED libcairo.so.2
    NEEDED libgobject-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libgmodule-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libdl.so.2
    NEEDED libglib-2.0.so.0
    NEEDED libstdc++.so.6
    NEEDED libm.so.6
    NEEDED libgcc_s.so.1
    NEEDED libc.so.6
Attachments
retrovol_NLS-0.12T-i486.pet
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
retrovol-0.12T-i486.pet
I shrunk the icon size a bit too, feel free to revert if I "uglified" them
(24.19 KiB) Downloaded 747 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Henry

Retrovol master volume control

#137 Post by Henry »

I've used several versions of retrovol, and the volume characteristic doesn't seem right. Almost no change in the lower two thirds with very rapid changes in the upper range. Also I can't actually mute it at the bottom, even though it shows the red X.

Shouldn't it give an approximately equal change in perceived volume for each equal slider increment?

Using QuirkyNop-1.2 and GNOME-MPlayer

Thanks

Pizzasgood

#138 Post by Pizzasgood »

I suspect that different sound cards might use different curves, because it seems fine on my end. Right now I'm just linearly using the value range that Alsa reports. I'll add an entry to my todo list to add some other optional scales in case user hardware or preference differs from my own.

technosaurus

Re: Retrovol master volume control

#139 Post by technosaurus »

Henry wrote:Shouldn't it give an approximately equal change in perceived volume for each equal slider increment?
I have often had the same perception and wonder if it could be logarithmic v. linear scale issue (since sound is measured in decibels) but I took it as part of the "retro". Now if only it went to 11.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Henry

#140 Post by Henry »

Thanks, guys,

I had mentioned using Gnome-Mplayer but that's probably irrelevant - actually the small volume control in the mplayer GUI works fine by itself.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex 745, with
ADI 1983 High Definition Audio
Stereo conversion 20-bit A-D; 20-bit D-A

I can't really remember, but it could be my previous computer didn't have this problem since I didn't notice it then.