Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#661 Post by pemasu »

Jpeps. Builtin_files show the packages from DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-debian-squeeze and it is renamed as DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS when the distro is created...you will find that one in the same place /root/.packages.

Okay...for example the alsa-lib you wondered in that other thread...is package name in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-debian-squeeze ie DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS inside woof built distro.
It is woof way to include several packages in one package.
Lets take that alsa-lib row from DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS:
yes|alsa-lib|libasound2,libasound2-dev,libasound2-plugins|exe,dev,doc,nls

In woof when you launch 2createpackages script....it reads several files....I wont go now in detail...but it reads DISTRO_PET_REPOS and DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS-debian-squeeze and database files for debs and pets configured by those DISTRO*files...it reads the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS and starts to process the the debian squeeze .debs and creates in packages-squeeze folder named alsa-lib which has processed libasound deb and libasound2-plugins...there are also packages-templates which might modify the content of alsa-lib folder...so that something might be added or removed to the final alsa-lib content. Also it creates the alsa-lib_DEV folder where the libasound2-dev content goes.

So...alsa-lib is the combination of 2 debs and also packages-template alsa-lib folder add to the final alsa-lib folder aserver script.

I could create a package called pemasu_extraordinary and add into it whatever debs if they are found from Packages-debian-*-* files.
All above concerns .debs or other distro packages woof recognizes...like .rpm.

Pets are just pets. You can combine them before you put them to the woof and add pet.sceps content to the Packages-puppy-*-official database file and place the pet to the packages-pet folder.

So alsa-lib is metapackage or what ever created during woof packages processing from 2 .debs and also one .deb goes to the DEV folder.

Builtin_files lists these metapackages, packages which contain just one .deb and one .pet...all mixed.

Woof-installed-packages lists all package database files which are used as single packages.

To know what package is that kind mixed-metapackage and which one is single package...you need to check DISTRO_SPECS file and compare....

And remember....woof modifies those packages by using several methods in packages-templates folder...There is additional scripts...icons...definition files to add symlinks and remove files from the package. For example the xorg packages are heavily modified ie puppified.

This DISTRO_SPECS row tells you how many packages are sometimes combined.
Builtin_files cups is combination of several debs and also packages-template modify the result:
yes|cups|cups-bsd,cups,cups-common,cups-client,cups-ppdc,libcups2,libcups2-dev,libcupsimage2,libcupsimage2-dev,libcupsdriver1,libcupsdriver1-dev,libcupsppdc1,libcupsppdc1-dev,libcupscgi1,libcupscgi1-dev,libcupsmime1,libcupsmime1-dev|exe,dev,doc>exe,nls

jpeps

#662 Post by jpeps »

ah...thanks for the detailed explanation. So I'd really need more than one pet.spec file from woof-installed packages for a builtin package.

for alsa-libs (excluding devs).

libasound2: libasound2_1.0.23-2.1

libasound2_1.0.23-2.1|libasound2|1.0.23-2.1||BuildingBlock|1236K|pool/main/a/alsa-lib|libasound2_1.0.23-2.1_i386.deb|+libc6|shared library for ALSA applications|debian|squeeze||

libasound2-plugins: libasound2-plugins_1.0.23-1+b1

libasound2-plugins_1.0.23-1+b1|libasound2-plugins|1.0.23-1+b1||BuildingBlock|288K|pool/main/a/alsa-plugins|libasound2plugins_1.0.23-1+b1_i386.deb|+libasound2,+libavcodec52,+libc6,+libjackjackd2-0,+libpulse0,+libsamplerate0,+libspeexdsp1|ALSA library additional plugins|debian|squeeze||

pemasu

#663 Post by pemasu »

It wouldnt be me if I dont test. I like to experiment but sometimes reading is best....
I downloaded latest woof...added 6 more sfs layers to the init...used my latest 3.2.7 kernel and got working X.
But...jwm-xdgmenu app was missing and jwm menu was almost vanished. Then I recall that there was something about rarsa and jwm xdgmenu in Barrys blog. Okay....I hadnt used the needed xdg puppy pet. I installed it and basic things seems to work. Fixmenus fixed the menu before jwm -restart.

I have gone through puppy firmwares for realtek drivers and they surely missed a lot firmwares. Modinfo usage revealed the needed firmware. I added them and also removed some previously unnecessary firmware couplings in firmware.dep file. So....I have created divergence from woof provided firmware base and dependency checking file.

Not sure...if I need to do more than that....but that is the experimenting....lol.

Anyway 3.2.7 kernel provides now a lot realtek drivers.....

I suppose I will have beta testing build soon.

gcmartin

JRE on 5X136

#664 Post by gcmartin »

I have run into a problem in using the comibination of Exprimo %X136, JRE(s) PET, and LibreOffice PET.

To better explain, there is NO problem with Exprimo or Libreoffice. Its more of an in tnstallation issue with JRE V6 and JRE V7 that exist in the Exprimo Repo.

Both of these pacakage will install with any visible error. At the terminal I can "touch" each on these. But, applications which use JAVA are having issues findiing JRE V7. I REPEAT .... JRE v1.7...

By installing JRE V6, no such problems exist. And the JAVA applicaiions are NOT having any issues in finding JRE for their needs. I use 2 applications which use JRE; namely AngryIP (PET or the JAVA app direcly) and LIbreOFFICE which has a built-in Database.

Heope this steers uses correctly.

pemasu

#665 Post by pemasu »

Gcmartin. Okay. I will check it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371
Warning! Some older versions of LibreOffice do not seem to work with Java 7. If you need any of the Java-dependent functions of an older LibreOffice release, you may want to use Java 6u30. (Writer, Calc and Impress usually don't need Java, but Base and Math may.)
If you are running LibreOffice 3.4.5, though, Java 7 shouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Problems with FristRUN - Xorgwizard

#666 Post by gcmartin »

When using FirstRUN, all localization features work as expected EXCEPT Xorgwizard. Exprimo seems to be having a problem launching Xorgwizard whenit switches to text mode from the desktop. It makes the switch to text, pauses for a moment on a blank screen, then restarts the desktop without returning to FirstRUN. The expected behavior is
  1. go to text mode
  2. interact with xorrgwizard
  3. restart of desktop
  4. restart of FirstRUN for verification, final tweaking or resolution change; if necessary)
But, should one manual switch to console and execute "xorgwizard", the system allows video setup to occur.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Xorgwizard_on_FirstRUN.png
FirstRUN. Exprimo starts the desktop with a Vesa driver. Attempting to guide the driver exchange from the on-screen button
(82.03 KiB) Downloaded 1124 times

pemasu

#667 Post by pemasu »

I suppose I have missed some script or symlink. I have manually created firstrun-1.9.6 pet from Shinobar`s pet so that the woof processes it ok. So...Shinobar could tell better what I have missed....since xorwizard does not launch.

gcmartin

Saved-Session has been resolved

#668 Post by gcmartin »

Thank you for pointing out that I had an early release of 5X136. I RE-downoloaded the 5X136 version, installed your repo's version of SAMBA 3.63, setup and tested sharing, and found it "happy" to save a session at shutdown. Rebooted with expected applications present.

Thanks for all your efforts fot us in the community.

shinobar

Re: Problems with FristRUN - Xorgwizard

#669 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:When using FirstRUN, all localization features work as expected EXCEPT Xorgwizard. Exprimo seems to be having a problem launching Xorgwizard whenit switches to text mode from the desktop. It makes the switch to text, pauses for a moment on a blank screen, then restarts the desktop without returning to FirstRUN.
Is mismatching the firstrun with the recont woof.

@Users
Edit /etc/DISTRO_SPECS with text editor and remove the last line, 'DISTRO_XORG_AUTO="yes"'. Otherwise you cannot run the Xorgwizard from the desktop.

@Distro developers (pemasu)
Add next code at the first stage of the '/root/Startup/firstrun'.

Code: Select all

# 24Feb2012 remove DISTRO_XORG_AUTO from DISTRO_SPECS for recent woof

# remove DISTRO_XORG_AUTO
if [ -s /etc/DISTRO_SPECS ]  && grep -q '^[[:space:]]*DISTRO_XORG_AUTO=.*yes' /etc/DISTRO_SPECS; then
  grep -v 'DISTRO_XORG_AUTO=' /etc/DISTRO_SPECS > /tmp/DISTRO_SPECS
  [ -s /tmp/DISTRO_SPECS ]  &&  mv -f /tmp/DISTRO_SPECS /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
fi
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

pemasu

#670 Post by pemasu »

Shinobar. Thanks. I will edit the firstrun script.

pupzo

exprimo 5.X.13.6 not creating save file correctly

#671 Post by pupzo »

hi

@Pemasu

i am very happy that i tried exprimo as now my laptop hardware are compatible straight out the box. only problem i am encountering is that i cannot save or create a save file that actually works.

once i reboot after creating an encrypted save file, the password i set does not work.

i upgrade the pupsaveconfig to v2.1 from v2.0.1 but still no joy. i tried it numerous times and also with simple passwords.

a normal save file and a Light encryption save file seems to work fine, but i prefer the heavy encrypted save file.

can you advise on how to correct this please.

thanks

pemasu

#672 Post by pemasu »

Tricky problem. 3.1.10 could have problems by woof. The filemnt has been fixed for heavy encryption since the woof I used for 3.1.10. But Dpup Exprimo 3.2.7 uses new woof and it does not mount heavy encrypted savefile.

I can create heavy encrypted save file and I can mount it when I have booted with normal savefile or pfix=ram.
So all needed encryption kernel modules seems to be available. But....init script.../usr/sbin/filemnt sectory does not handle the heavy encrypted savefile mounting still at boot time.

Where is the problem....maybe I should compile some encryption modules statically when some of them are now modules or vice versa. I really dont know atm.....

First thing would be to compare row by row how Barry has compiled his kernel encryption section.
But.....the problem can lie entirely somewhere else.

Tman

#673 Post by Tman »

I compiled Thunar-1.0.2 for dpup. I took Barry's Thunar from the Wary repo and used it as a template. Yes, a lot of Puppians like ROX, but Thunar is good for newbies and Windows refugees.

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/dpup-apps/
Attachments
thunar-1.0.2.jpg
(43.74 KiB) Downloaded 922 times

pemasu

#674 Post by pemasu »

Okay. I have done quite profound inspection of the heavy encryption problem. My kernel has all needed cryptographic modules or they are compiled in. I can open aes crypted file so it shows that aes has been supported.
I checked the initrd.gz and the needed modules are in place.
At last I downloaded latest racy and created the heavy encrypted racysave_crypta.2fs in it and then renamed it to squeezesave_crypta.2fs and copied it to my exprimo folder. Then I launched it and at the boot prompt it accepted the password. Mounted succesfully !!!

EDIT: I copied shutdownconfig, rc.shutdown from latest racy and also wmpoweroff and wmreboot. Changing the files which creates the heavy encrypted savefile didnt help, lol.
So something is wrong during the password protected, aes-encrypted savefile has been created.

pemasu

#675 Post by pemasu »

Bingo. Heavy encryption problem has been solved !!
It was the losetup-FULL binary which didnt do its job.
Losetup from debian squeeze does not handle something with aes and password.
I copied from racy /sbin/losetup-FULL over exprimo existing one and voila !
Heavy encrypted savefile mounts successfully.

You need to install this pet before you create heavy encrypted savefile. Use ext2 even though ppl in Slacko thread tells that ext3 might work also...sort of.
But I would recommend to use ext2....Shutdownconfig has ext4 as default so change it !
Attachments
heavy-encryption-fix-0.0.1.pet
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

pemasu

#676 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Tman !!
I am using Thunar now in Saluki. I can manage, lol.
I have to admit that when you know what you have...using other puplet and you are somewhat at loss until you get accustomed...
Hmm...I should quickly back it now, lol.

Tman

#677 Post by Tman »

Your welcome, Pemasu.

Yes, Saluki has many impressive advancements, but you're right..it does take some time to get accustomed to it. I mostly use Exprimo now, which I have remastered with my preferences. But I like to check in on Saluki every couple releases to see how it's progressing. Jemimah has been a very busy lady!

soundNICK

#678 Post by soundNICK »

pemasu / other exprimo users

my monitor just stopped working... I replaced it with an LCD,
problem now is, Im not finding, in xorgwizard, the resolution this
monitor needs.
xorgwizard has all the 4x3 proportioned resolutions (and some other),
but this monitor is proportion 4 x 2.5 so, instead of 1024x768 I need
1024 x 640. Otherwise all graphics / icons / whatever, appear "stretched"
like funhouse mirror. NOTE: I did find two that work, proportionately,
but they are 1600 wide and 1400 wide, which makes icons/font way
too small.

any exprimo users know how to add a new resolution which xorgwizard
can use ?

thanks for looking

soundNICK

pemasu

#679 Post by pemasu »

Soundnick. Hmmm....sounds like you have had museum visit. What kind of LCD is that. I havent tinkered with resolution specs manually. I have always used just xorgwizard or grandr or LXrandr.

But there is xrandr command which you could try. Here is one thread about using it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 816#545816

Xrandrshell seems to be linked to the personalize settings app.

soundNICK

#680 Post by soundNICK »

pemasu wrote:Soundnick. Hmmm....sounds like you have had museum visit. What kind of LCD is that. I havent tinkered with resolution specs manually. I have always used just xorgwizard or grandr or LXrandr.

But there is xrandr command which you could try. Here is one thread about using it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 816#545816

Xrandrshell seems to be linked to the personalize settings app.
pemasu - you are so funny_ a museum visit_ ROFL : -)

about kind of lcd... you may be thinking of "lcd" little glowing numbers
on calculator... no... this is 17 inch LCD flat monitor... cheapo kind...
but mostly OK, and, it starts instantly in cold weather.

I went looking earlier today, and found at least xrandr...
just now finished setting up all the xrandr lines in a file so I can reuse
modes and so forth

I suppose other OS have some way to use those big wide LCD
panels, but it just doesnt make sense for xorgwizard the way I am
used to it.

thank you for replying

PS - Iguleder was on the chat a few days ago, and gave you
a big compliment, saying 'pemasu has the most solid puppylinux
distro out there' (not an exact quote, but close)... and I agree : -)

soundNICK