[Request] DotPet for PlayOnLinux

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
richardyusan

[Request] DotPet for PlayOnLinux

#1 Post by richardyusan »

Play On Linux Homepage

Has anyone compiled this for any build of Puppy Linux?
PlayOnLinux is a piece of software which allows you to easily install and use numerous games and apps designed to run with Microsoft® Windows®.
Few games are compatible with GNU/Linux at the moment and it certainly is a factor preventing the migration to this system. PlayOnLinux brings a cost-free, accessible and efficient solution to this problem.
i've try to run playonlinux, i've installed python

Code: Select all

./playonlinux
but that gives me error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "mainwindow.py", line 30, in <module>
import wx
ImportError: No module named wx
import wx
please create .pet for playonlinux if you can :roll:

Amgine

Re: [Request] DotPet for PlayOnLinux

#2 Post by Amgine »

richardyusan wrote:Image
Play On Linux Homepage

Has anyone compiled this for any build of Puppy Linux?
PlayOnLinux is a piece of software which allows you to easily install and use numerous games and apps designed to run with Microsoft® Windows®.
Few games are compatible with GNU/Linux at the moment and it certainly is a factor preventing the migration to this system. PlayOnLinux brings a cost-free, accessible and efficient solution to this problem.
i've try to run playonlinux, i've installed python

Code: Select all

./playonlinux
but that gives me error
import wx
import wx
please create .pet for playonlinux if you can :roll:
Why not use wine?

richardyusan

#3 Post by richardyusan »

Because with POL I can run MS Office 2007, games, apps smoothly :arrow:

chrome307

#4 Post by chrome307 »

Have you installed 'Python' on your build of Puppy first?

If your using Lucid 5.28, you can find it here:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... -Lucid.pet

Liboicl

#5 Post by Liboicl »

The error message tells you that you need wxPython.
I had PlayOnLinux running at one time, but I prefer just managing my wine install.
What version of Puppy are you using? I can probably throw together a couple of packages next week for PlayOnLinux & Its dependencies.

On a side note, one of the main reasons I prefer managing my own install is the versions of wine that PlayOnLinux will fetch are full of useless files and take up a lot of space. One could go and strip said files, but that seems too tedious for me when I could just manage it all from the beginning. I may make a modified version of PlayOnLinux that will access the wine versions packaged by green_dome.
[url=http://tehgroup.org/repo]Additional .pet packages[/url]

richardyusan

#6 Post by richardyusan »

Liboicl wrote:The error message tells you that you need wxPython.
I had PlayOnLinux running at one time, but I prefer just managing my wine install.
What version of Puppy are you using? I can probably throw together a couple of packages next week for & Its dependencies.

On a side note, one of the main reasons I prefer managing my own install is the versions of wine that PlayOnLinux will fetch are full of useless files and take up a lot of space. One could go and strip said files, but that seems too tedious for me when I could just manage it all from the beginning. I may make a modified version of PlayOnLinux that will access the wine versions packaged by green_dome.
yeah, i know that i need wxpython. but i'am not advanced user in linux :( i don't know how to install wxpython from its source

can you make wxpyhton.pet and playonlinux.pet? or .sfs ?

Liboicl

#7 Post by Liboicl »

I have made PET packages for wxWidgets, wxPython, & PlayOnLinux. You failed to mention which version of Puppy you are using, so I compiled it for FatDog64 5.2.1. Let me know if you have a different version & I will work on another set of packages.

The links are in my signature.

richardyusan

#8 Post by richardyusan »

Liboicl wrote:I have made PET packages for wxWidgets, wxPython, & PlayOnLinux. You failed to mention which version of Puppy you are using, so I compiled it for FatDog64 5.2.1. Let me know if you have a different version & I will work on another set of packages.

The links are in my signature.
Lucid Puppy 528

Liboicl

#9 Post by Liboicl »

I have been busy, so it's not done yet, but expect it sometime early next week.

Liboicl

#10 Post by Liboicl »

I completely forgot about this. :oops:
I apologize. I will try to get a pet made soon.

BHINTZ

#11 Post by BHINTZ »

I am also interested in this as playonlinux claims to be able to run itunes10. Have you ever tried this. I am also really interested in silverlight which seems necessary for netflix. These are the only reason that I keep winxp on my machine these days.

bob

BHINTZ

#12 Post by BHINTZ »

I booted up fatdog and installed the pets, but when I attempt to start playonlinux, I get a message asking me to install python.

I tried wine in luki and installed itunes, but it did not run.

bob

666philb

#13 Post by 666philb »

play on linux is working on the latest slacko

for it to work, you need to enable the 3 slackware repos and the slacko one, in the PPM
and install wxpython (type wx into the find bar)

yes and itunes10 loads..... and is as slow and horrid and unintuitive and buggy as it is on windows & mac :lol:
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Liboicl

#14 Post by Liboicl »

BHINTZ wrote:I am also interested in this as playonlinux claims to be able to run itunes10. Have you ever tried this. I am also really interested in silverlight which seems necessary for netflix. These are the only reason that I keep winxp on my machine these days.

bob
I don't use iTunes, but it should work even through wine. I recommend that you take a look at Moonlight. It is a UNIX implementation of Silverlight.
BHINTZ wrote:I booted up fatdog and installed the pets, but when I attempt to start playonlinux, I get a message asking me to install python.

I tried wine in luki and installed itunes, but it did not run.

bob
Try installing this file with the others in FatDog64.
python-2.6.4-amd64.pet
666philb wrote:play on linux is working on the latest slacko

for it to work, you need to enable the 3 slackware repos and the slacko one, in the PPM
and install wxpython (type wx into the find bar)

yes and itunes10 loads..... and is as slow and horrid and unintuitive and buggy as it is on windows & mac :lol:
Well, that's good, but I'd assume there is a lot of stuff that could be stripped and optimized.

BHINTZ

#15 Post by BHINTZ »

just a quick note. I have given up on this project. I even downloaded and installed Lubuntu in an effort to see how itunes might work in playonlinux, but even though it installed it did not recognize my internet connection, so I got no further than I ever did with puppy and wine.

Thanks for the effort.

bob