Need help with hdd install of 2.02

Booting, installing, newbie
davidknibb

Need help with hdd install of 2.02

#1 Post by davidknibb »

For years my ancient old HP Laptop has had various versions of Debian Installed - and its gradually got both more creaky and bloated as I've updated various bit of the software.
The other day I was doing an update and I broke X completely - and no amount of coaxing would get it working. So time for a new install completely and time to go to Puppy.
I downloaded 2.02 and everything is great - and it even configured my wireless card with no problems at all - much easier than Debian ever was.
So now I've decided to do a complete HDD install - taking over the whole of my 4Gig HDD to be totally dedicated to Puppy. I don't want to dual boot with XP or Win98 or anything - just pure puppy.
But none of the HowTos seem relevant somehow. They refer to choosing Option 2 or 3 at the boot splash - and 2.02 doesn't seem to have any such options.
I also found a HDD install on one of the menus = but it isn't yet impllemented it seems.
Maybe someone who has been here for a while and knows Puppy inside can just please point me to where I can find the appropriate 'HowTo'

Many Thanks for any road directions and maps

David

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

david,

i haven't tried pup2.02 yet, but i thought you shouldn't need a "how to" on hdisk install, as i thought booting the cdrom & selecting the universal installer, would take you thru the install process. usually the only choices that you have to make are :

1) whether you want a type 1, or type 2 install. type one only installs 3 files onto hard disk, and when you boot, puppy is extracted from compressed file system, whereas type 2 is traditional linux directory structure.

2) whether you want to boot using grub or not, and if you choose yes, whether to install grub to MBR or not.

and because this install takes less than 10 minutes, if you take wrong option, it's simple matter to run it again.

davidknibb

#3 Post by davidknibb »

Thanks - but that' seems to be the problem - there isn't as far as I can see an installer on 2.02.

All I get are examples of a few boot options - but no installer. Or am I being totally stupid and missing something.

I've been using Linux - mainly Debian for years - and so I feel rather stupid anyway asking such a question - but the 'live disk' I have looks just that - a live disk only - no installer.

Sorry to be thick

David

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

unfortunately i'm using 1.08. i know that for pup2.01 barry changed the name to "universal installer". have you looked under:

Start-->Setup for it?

MU

#5 Post by MU »

don't you have in the startmenu:
setup - Puppy univeral installer?
Mark

davidknibb

#6 Post by davidknibb »

Thanks MU and Muggins - it is me being totally and completely thick.

I'm ashamed of my self - my ears are burning and my fact bright red !!

David

MU

#7 Post by MU »

:lol: don't mind - in germany we say "sometimes you don't see the forrest because of all the trees" ;)

Good luck with the installation :!:
Mark

davidknibb

#8 Post by davidknibb »

Auch In Englisher sprache 'we cannot see the wood for the trees'

Vielen Danke