slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#61 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:peebee, I can create a save file in ntfs that is just fine :) , just not using pupdialog! :( . If you drop to a prompt and shutdown/reboot the old way then all's well. I have sent a report to Barry and I captured a log of sorts which doesn't seem to mean a lot but I'll publish it anyway.
Hi Mick

I think the problem with ntfs formatted drives also seems to affect loading the kernel source sfs for compiling - I seem to have broken links in /lib/modules/3.1.10slacko to items on your partition sda8 for build and src

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
image.png
(134.3 KiB) Downloaded 1782 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

nooby

#62 Post by nooby »

the problem with ntfs formatted drives
/quote

I agree that NTFS is a very bad thing.
But if one want to retain warranty and
Ms Win7 whatever compatibility due to
needing it for smartphones and other
such gadgets that only have Win drivers.

SonyEricson phones needs it.

We have to talk to politicians to force Ms to
give us a good repair/defrag etc for NTFS
so NTFS can be a true Linux formatting tool.

some 90% of all sold desktops and laptops
have Ms Win already installed. It is not realistic
to force every user to learn how to resize and
to format partions. I ahve used computers since
them got affordable and I have used Linux since
2006 and I have no idea how one do resize and formatting.

And I would prefer to never learn it. Too dangerous stuff.
So yes it is a sad situation but that is reality. 90% is real.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

CatDude

#63 Post by CatDude »

Hello peebee
peebee wrote:..I think the problem with ntfs formatted drives also seems to affect loading the kernel source sfs for compiling - I seem to have broken links in /lib/modules/3.1.10slacko to items on your partition sda8 for build and src
Already been reported here mate
i don't think it has anything to do with how the drive is formatted (mine was ext3), it's simply due to 'dodgy sources' as mick put it. :lol:

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

futwerk

#64 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
pupfb29,2.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(14.98 KiB) Downloaded 1613 times
pupfb5,01x.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 1597 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#65 Post by Lobster »

Simple futwerk
Me like. :D

Mick I am trying to be everywhere at once :roll:
using quantum entanglement.
Sadly the Chronolgy Protection Agency
is only allowing me to use only one Puppy OS at a time. :shock:
I had a go with latest Racy this afternoon (local time),
so not giving Slacko new kernel the attention it deserves. :cry:

My plan is some sort of switch mechanism
a batch of spup and other powered Raspberry Pi's from the future
and a big pile of sardines . . . :wink:

Anyone willing to wiki
apply here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SlackoNews
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DaveS

#66 Post by DaveS »

Oh go on Mick... fix the spelling on the Suspend button; /etc/acpi/actions/powerbtn.sh, line 71 :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#67 Post by 01micko »

Ha! Thanks Dave :roll:

-

CatDude and peebee,

This is very weird with the kernel source, it could even be a unionfs bug, take a look at the respective screenies from the running system and the initrd read only files..

Only other solution is for me to switch the call in my build script by cd-ing into /lib/modules/3.1.10-slacko-4gU and climbing up the tree then drilling back down.. I think I have it right though. I didn't have an issue with the PAE sources, same script..

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/src/linux kernel_sources-$kernel_major_version-$package_name_suffix/lib/modules/${kernel_major_version}$custom_suffix/build
ln -s /usr/src/linux kernel_sources-$kernel_major_version-$package_name_suffix/lib/modules/${kernel_major_version}$custom_suffix/source
peebee, it's important that kernel compiles have unique names or else drivers likely wont work. On some occasions they do, but I'm not prepared to risk that.

I'm also having probs with firefox in the unionfs.. seems ok in the aufs kernel :?
Attachments
link1.png
(42.98 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
link2.png
(17.73 KiB) Downloaded 1405 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#68 Post by DaveS »

Just a little bit of perspective from me... this morning I downloaded Linux Mint 12. Download took three hours. Then I installed it. Installation took a further three hours due to endless downloads and updating (so not the latest version on the mirror then!). After all that, Broadcom wireless did not work. Usual fix of downloading restricted drivers did not fix it. Eventually after ages of Google, found a really complicated fix that worked. This all took a couple more hours.
Finally I had a working system. Which ran like treacle. OK, so I am sure Mint is a brilliant op system, but I am bu**ered if I am prepared to buy a new PC to run it.
Makes me realise how grateful I am to all the guys behind Puppy.
The good news is, it took Puppy running from a USB stick about 15 seconds to delete it, so not ALL bad :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#69 Post by jim3630 »

DaveS FYI LMDE comes with the restricted drivers. able to make wifi connection oob with my wl driver. funny thing is after installing and downloading seems like every game in the repo haven't used it in last 3 or 4 months. nothing close to puppy speed!

Jim1911

#70 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

Pemasu has compiled the latest Bibletime 2.9.1 for Dpup Exprimo.

I installed it on slacko and it runs fine from a terminal although it has one missing dependency (bibletime: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libsword-1.6.2.so)) which prevents it from executing it using the desktop file. EDIT: Although the dependency is still missing the desktop file has started working. I haven't done anything but run firefox. The program appears to be working as it should.

Please consider making it available with the new slacko. Links to pemasu's files are on the Bibletime thread that I linked to above.

Problem discovered. I tried to mount my Exprimo save file to copy libcurl.so.4 over to slacko and discovered that slacko cannot mount a save file.

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Tue 06 Mar 2012, 02:07, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#71 Post by James C »

Jim1911 wrote: Problem discovered. I tried to mount my Exprimo save file to copy libcurl.so.4 over to slacko and discovered that slacko cannot mount a save file.
Had same problem here trying to mount ext4 savefiles (but no problem mounting ext3).
Right click on the Exprimo savefile, go to "set run action" and change to" filemnt "$1""as shown in my screenshot. Will now mount ext4 savefiles.

Worked here.HTH.
Attachments
mounted ext4 in Slacko.png
(57.55 KiB) Downloaded 1303 times
mounting ext4 savefile in slacko.png
(47.15 KiB) Downloaded 1349 times

Jasper

#72 Post by Jasper »

Hi James C,

Thanks for the $1 tip which worked for me with a Slacko 5.3.1 ext4 savefile.

My regards

Jim1911

#73 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi James C,

Thanks for filemnt "$1" tip and clear explanation as to how to use it which worked for me also.

Jim

shinobar

mounting ext4

#74 Post by shinobar »

Jim1911 wrote:Problem discovered. I tried to mount my Exprimo save file to copy libcurl.so.4 over to slacko and discovered that slacko cannot mount a save file.
James C wrote:Had same problem here trying to mount ext4 savefiles (but no problem mounting ext3).
Right click on the Exprimo savefile, go to "set run action" and change to" filemnt "$1""as shown in my screenshot. Will now mount ext4 savefiles.
James C, you are right.
Or, you can copy the file /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ext3-image to 'application_x-ext4-image'.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

DaveS

Re: mounting ext4

#75 Post by DaveS »

shinobar wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Problem discovered. I tried to mount my Exprimo save file to copy libcurl.so.4 over to slacko and discovered that slacko cannot mount a save file.
James C wrote:Had same problem here trying to mount ext4 savefiles (but no problem mounting ext3).
James C, you are right.
Or, you can copy the file /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ext3-image to 'application_x-ext4-image'.
application_x-ext4-image is already there.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

shinobar

#76 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Or, you can copy the file /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ext3-image to 'application_x-ext4-image'
DaveS wrote:application_x-ext4-image is already there.
The file '/root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ext4-image' does not exist in slacko-5.3.2.6-SCSI.iso nor slacko-5.3.2.6p-SCSI.iso.

DaveS

#77 Post by DaveS »

shinobar wrote:
shinobar wrote:Or, you can copy the file /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ext3-image to 'application_x-ext4-image'
DaveS wrote:application_x-ext4-image is already there.
The file '/root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ext4-image' does not exist in slacko-5.3.2.6-SCSI.iso nor slacko-5.3.2.6p-SCSI.iso.
Odd. I have slacko-5.3.2.6-SCSI.iso, and it is there. Wonder where I got it from :(
You are correct, it does not show up in the .iso image.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

shinobar

#78 Post by shinobar »

DaveS wrote:Odd. I have slacko-5.3.2.6-SCSI.iso, and it is there. Wonder where I got it from.
If you have frugal install (or CD + savefile), you can see under /initrd/pup_ro2 comes from the main sfs, and under /initrd/pup_rw you can see what comes from PET or somewhere.

DaveS

#79 Post by DaveS »

shinobar wrote:
DaveS wrote:Odd. I have slacko-5.3.2.6-SCSI.iso, and it is there. Wonder where I got it from.
If you have frugal install (or CD + savefile), you can see under /initrd/pup_ro2 comes from the main sfs, and under /initrd/pup_rw you can see what comes from PET or somewhere.
Came as part of the 'right-clicks' package .. apologies.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

Kernel 3.2.X presents new Logitech usb device module which handles new unifying feature:
CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_DJ=m -----> =y
seems to fix the problem with Logitech usb devices which uses the new unifying feature.
There are now several reports of succesfull device recognition with recompiled 3.2.9 kernel with
CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_DJ=y
With this driver, all the devices paired to a single Unifying
receiver are exposed to user processes in separated /input/dev
nodes.
Keyboards with different layouts can be treated differently,
Multiplayer games on single PC (like home theater PC) can
differentiate input coming from different kbds paired to the
same receiver.
Up to now, when Logitech Unifying receivers are connected to a
Linux based system, a single keyboard and a single mouse are
presented to the HID Layer, even if the Unifying receiver can
pair up to six compatible devices. The Unifying receiver by default
multiplexes all incoming events (from multiple keyboards/mice)
into these two.