Only Puppy can use my US Robotics PCI wifi adapter!

TLM

Only Puppy can use my US Robotics PCI wifi adapter!

#1 Post by TLM »

Am very happy to announce that beginning with Lucid 525 and 528, Puppy can see and configure my US Robotics PCI wireless adapter, model USR5416.

Ubuntu cannot see it, PCLinuxOS can not see it, Fedora cannot see it, Slackware cannot see it, but Puppy can, and it configures flawlessly using only the Simple Network Wizard. Very happy about this. :D Go PuppyLinux!! I have not tested Slacky with this adapter yet, but hopefully it will work as well. Puppies 3 and 4 could not see it.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

TLM wrote:beginning with Lucid 525 and 528, Puppy can see and configure my US Robotics PCI wireless adapter, model USR5416.
Probably because Puppy 5.25 and 5.28 contain the non-standard acx-mac80211 wifi driver, from here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 985#443985

TLM

#3 Post by TLM »

I have now tested this PCI wireless adapter (US Robotics USR5416) with Slacko 5.3.1 and it does NOT work. A step backward from Lucid, in which the adapter did work.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

... most likely because Slacko does not contain the non-standard acx-mac80211 wifi driver.

I had hoped my previous post made it clear that a third-party driver was involved with Lucid 525/528.

Third-party drivers are only available when individual developers choose to make them available.
Thus, if you want this driver for Slacko you will need to post a request in the Slacko forum-thread asking the Slacko developers to compile this driver.

TLM

#5 Post by TLM »

On the plus side, Slacko now appears to contain the Broadcom Wireless driver for my wife's laptop :D This is good, since quite a few laptops are now using that wifi chipset.