GTK3 ALPHA Classic Pup 2.14X bleeding edge version

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
technosaurus

#21 Post by technosaurus »

maybe backburner it for a bit until some development overload wears off, I have been wanting to do the same with gtk3, but am trying to get the right mix of gtk1,2,3 (yes, I am still using gtk1) ... it seems like 1.2.10 + 2.16.6 and 3.0.X are a good mix (3.0 is still getting bugfixes AFAIK and 3.2 mandates the C++ version of pango) and should cover the majority of apps.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Eyes-Only

#22 Post by Eyes-Only »

I know your disappointment Tux. ( Believe me mate - as a dev on other projects I really do! ) However, I've chosen to watch this topic for the moment and my reason for doing so is this: My computer is around 10 years old and I've recently discovered that the momboard is going. It works perfectly well with the 14 Puppies currently installed but trying to install even versions I've used a few years back on this is a complete failure. Only thing I can think of is that the currently installed versions work because they're drawing their settings from already established saved files whereas new testing installs never get the chance to save their settings due to crashes relating to a weakened momboard, etc.

I hope to have my situation solved within the next couple of months when the Mrs receives a settlement cheque. ( I've been informed if I'm a "good boy" I may get a new desktop or lappie. ;) ) When that happens - there are several projects here I'm just itching it get my mitts onto, your gtk3 Puppy is at the very top of that list my friend!

Hang in there Tux. Just because people aren't saying something doesn't mean that nothing is happening, nor that people aren't using what you've produced here. Many could've downloaded and just be satisfied as is - there's always that possibility as well. But another thought mate: I worked many years in radio and there the standard was this: For EACH caller who rung you at the studio to do a survey/make a request ( or for single piece of mail/email you received ) that meant a listening audience of 600+. That was the rule of thumb for setting listeners and popularity. That's Food For Thought. ;)

I hope perhaps some of what I've said has helped mate?

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

singlshot

#23 Post by singlshot »

hi all

just downloaded and tried it on a computer in shop . wish i had internet connection in shop. it loaded and ran .. i don't know enought to test it but i like it.

thank you for all your hard work
singlshot

Pete22

bleeding edge version

#24 Post by Pete22 »

Hello Tux,

I saw your original post, and was looking forward to checking a beta, Not being a geek, alpha's usually scare me. I have checked back several times hoping to find a beta.

However, I started to get really excited when I saw the fractal program you worked on. Oh my. Not for my old laptop, but I think my old dual core x64 desktop computer might handle it. !!!!

Question. Is there any way to get the internet connection to take symbols in the password? I know it won't in your other versions. I was just hoping it would in this new one.

Pete

ttuuxxx

Re: bleeding edge version

#25 Post by ttuuxxx »

Pete22 wrote:Hello Tux,

I saw your original post, and was looking forward to checking a beta, Not being a geek, alpha's usually scare me. I have checked back several times hoping to find a beta.

However, I started to get really excited when I saw the fractal program you worked on. Oh my. Not for my old laptop, but I think my old dual core x64 desktop computer might handle it. !!!!

Question. Is there any way to get the internet connection to take symbols in the password? I know it won't in your other versions. I was just hoping it would in this new one.

Pete
Hi Pete which internet connection are you trying to use? I only use the network wizard, with eth0, so it never ask me for password. And there are a few others, like wireless and dialup that use passwords.
Oh ya that fractal app is a high resource app, newer 6+ yr old pc's are better.

Thanks ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#26 Post by ttuuxxx »

here's a little dvd copier I came across at http://smokey01.com/index.php/posts/00022/CopyDVD
it doesn't edit, it doesn't remove extra's, but what it does do is copy and builds a iso of dvd 1:1 or just copies one large VOB file to hard drive. I reduced the orginal pet size by almost 50% by using image file system links on 2.14x and making and adding a couple to fill in the gaps:)
I haven't tested it, any testers?
ttuuxxx
Attachments
copydvd-1.0-2.14x.pet
(37.98 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
copy.png
(26.22 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times

Eyes-Only

#27 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks for posting this Tux! Exactly the simplist thing someone like me has always needed for making DVD copies! So I really can't thank you enough. Now when I get finished with several projects over the next few weeks/month here I'll try to take time aside exclusively for this - and when I do - I'll try to remember to get back and let you know how well it worked. But knowing Smokey he does an equally excellent job with programming. :)

Again: I can't thank you enough Tux!

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Pete22

Re: bleeding edge version

#28 Post by Pete22 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
Pete22 wrote:Hello Tux,

Pete
Hi Pete which internet connection are you trying to use? I only use the network wizard, with eth0, so it never ask me for password. And there are a few others, like wireless and dialup that use passwords.
Oh ya that fractal app is a high resource app, newer 6+ yr old pc's are better.

Thanks ttuuxxx
I'm using a wireless connection with wpa encryption.
:) Now if I understand you correctly, if I used my eth0 connection,
I could use the internet without dealing with the password. I can try that.

:D

I have a place saved for 2.14x bleeding edge on my "big white" computer. Its where I put my favorite stuff. :!:
But "big white" is on wlan0 or eth1 only.

Pete

Eathray

#29 Post by Eathray »

ttuuxxx wrote:sorry guys I spent tons of hours getting the gtk3 version working and I thought it would take off very quickly, but after 2 weeks we were still on page one, yes i was disappointed, I'm sorry about getting upset, I did put a lot of effort into it, soon I'll have beta version :)
ttuuxxx
ttuuxxx,

You're freaking awesome, man. I have three machines running your stuff. Sorry you didn't get the quick response you hoped for, but I'm sure it will come in time.

I can't give you development help, but I've become a pretty competent user. I'm going to redo my wife's hard-drive this weekend, so I'll stick it on and give you user feedback next week if that helps.

Don't feel bad about nuthin... You're worth more than gold in this community.

Eathray

alphadog

#30 Post by alphadog »

ttuuxxx I agree with "Earthray" you are indeed "freaking awesome" !!
Without you (and the other devs, coders, etc.) this great little distro would not be what it is today .
From a "green" point of view can you imagine how many pieces of hardware you have saved from being thrown away just because someone in a big office in the USA, or wherever, says your pc
equipment is no longer good enough although it is still perfectly serviceable.
You have kept my 2001 lappy perfectly usable with your 2.14x series so far and when the gtk3 model gets a bit more mature I will give it a go,but being anything but a fairly competent user (I don't like delving under the bonnet (hood) too much) I stay away from alphas and let more knowledgeable people play first.
So please don't give up just because of a slow uptake, after all perfection takes time.
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

ttuuxxx

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

Thanks for all the praise guys, I'll keep moving forward with the gtk3 2.14X version. I'll try to get some of it done this weekend :)
ttuuxxx

Aitch

#32 Post by Aitch »

Hi ttuuxxx
I've only just come across this thread, but my current machine is a supermicro server with twin xeons and scsi hdd
Is there a possibility of a scsi enabled kernel version...there is so little scsi support by puppy these days, and slacko is my current....
thanks

btw, don't despair....2.14X is way ahead in many respects, even without gtk3, and my old T30 IBM lappy runs really well with it, where others struggle...thanks

Edit: request made in 214X main thread, ta!

Aitch :)
Last edited by Aitch on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#33 Post by James C »

Still experimenting with this in between testing all the other releases. :lol: Haven't done an exhaustive check but after installing the theme engines mentioned earlier there seems to be a little progress.

Installed your SeaMonkey 2.3.3 pet (since updated to 2.7.2) ..... had to edit the desktop file because the exec line was using seamonkey-2.3.3 as the directory but in reality it was just seamonkey.Simple edit.
Still running Top 9 on my old P3 like always and trying to move over to Top 10.

zekebaby

Missing files when searching for backgrounds

#34 Post by zekebaby »

First off, thanks for taking the effort; there are more users of this pup than you think.

I did a fresh frugal install on my trusty Toughbook CF-T2 and noticed a small issue with setting the background image. The GUI does not seem to pick up all files in the backgrounds directory; it just lists the non-JPG files.

I haven't tried the last few versions of 214X so I don't know if this is a bug only in the GTK3 version, or if it's also in mainstream Top10.

Keep up the good work!

wanderer

#35 Post by wanderer »

hey ttuuxx

thanks for continuing to work on 214x
in my opinion its the best pup ever
what you are doing now is just what i was hoping for
but please take it easy
no rush
you have already done far too much for all of us to digest

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#36 Post by starhawk »

Hey ttuuxxx -- you like working with old Pups and old computers?

I've noticed an influx of folks looking for something to run on their K6-2 boxes. Someone gave me a Compaq Notebook 100 and now I'm one of 'em...

You up for a challenge? I'd like to see a Puppy created with no i686 code at all -- everything i586 or below. Needs to run on really old crappy systems, too -- assume 128mb RAM *at most*. But at the same time, I'd like to see it run some modern stuff. Not necessarily eg Chromium 34 or whatever the latest is, but something fairly newish.

Can you do it? Will you do it? I'd be forever thankful if you could/would... ;)

Pelo

My video about famous puppies in the past

#37 Post by Pelo »

My video about famous puppies in the past Is not really a success !
Even Pup2.14x. Common everybody, Don't wait and see ! You will learn french by the same :twisted:
TheRaby2011 is the address.
[url=ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfHcV0S6tU]Puppy 2.14x III[/url]