ROX-Filer: How I did a better German translation

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
LaRioja

ROX-Filer: How I did a better German translation

#1 Post by LaRioja »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.25 and 5.28 with the German lang-pack for several month now and I like it. What always bothers me are German translations that are incomplete and sometimes
even wrong. For example in ROX-Filer I had a mix of English and German in the menus and dialog boxes. To help this out, I downloaded the source of ROX-Filer of the official site and edited the .po-File for the German translation. I looked at and tried out everything I could find in the program. Sometimes I looked at the source to find the phrases to translate and the context. KDE and GNOME translation projects also gave me a lot of hints. I ended up having a much smoother and better German user experience now with ROX-Filer which is so central to every Puppy and at least I learned so many useful details how to use the program.

I would like to return my work to the ROX-Filer project but first I would appreciate some people to try it out.

Here is a small archive which contains the .po and the .mo file. Decompress the archive, copy the ROX-Filer.mo to
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Messages/de/LC_MESSAGES/
and restart the x-server. Don't forget the locale must be set to German. For Puppy developers: You can put my file into new Puppies.

Best Regards

PS.: Give me a hint if this is not the right place to post this. I have already posted my little archive to the German speaking Puppy forum but not everybody who is interested might find it there.

March 22
Update: many typos; merged with translations from forum member RSH (LazY Puppy)
April 10
complete and (hopefully) final version. It is based on a new .pot file generated from latest source of ROX-Filer 2.11. Search criteria should work now. ROX has gettexted keywords for inbuilt search. I keep the English keywords (they were translated in the original version of the .po file from which I started. I didn't notice that these strings in the .po file were keywords for search instructions until I studied the C-source. Other bugs fixed for example the 'Eigenschaften' window correctly translates 'Modify time' to 'Letzte Datenänderung'. Previous 'Erstellt' was wrong and misleading (we are not in W$).
Note: Since this version is based on newest ROX 2.11 it may not translate some strings which have gone but still are present in previous versions of ROX-Filer used in some older Puppies for example my Lucid 5.28.
Last edited by LaRioja on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 23:47, edited 7 times in total.

L18L

Re: ROX-Filer better German translation

#2 Post by L18L »

LaRioja wrote:...PS.: Give me a hint if this is not the right place to post this...
It is the right place.
I would change the headline to something like:

ROX-Filer: howto make better translations
Example: German translation improved

Thank you very much

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Thanks from me too. See my blog post:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02737
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

LaRioja

Update posted and comment

#4 Post by LaRioja »

I have just posted a small update. There were 2 English strings missing for Rox 2.11. Please update.

A comment: I'm not aware of how the gettext utilities work, i.e. I was not able to use them to extract missing strings from the source of RoxFiler and automatically get an updated .po or .pot File. There is a script included with the source of RoxFiler which should update all .po files but it didn't work.
In the end I collected missing strings in my .po file 'by hand' looking at the program running and the C-source and I got everything I wanted.

L18L

Re: comment

#5 Post by L18L »

LaRioja wrote:... There is a script included with the source of RoxFiler which should update all .po files but it didn't work...
For a working solution, bug fix of script, see
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02737 :)

LaRioja

Thanks and amazement

#6 Post by LaRioja »

I'm amazed that I could trigger the beginning of an importend detail in the process of Puppy development only by looking closer to an existing translation, working on it an sharing it. That's so fine.

In the end we have to return our improvements to the ROX-Filer project.
(.po-File and debugged script)

LaRioja

ROX-Filer translation: Final update

#7 Post by LaRioja »

Thanks to L18L for your hint. I finally got the script running and the result is a new .pot file and an updated de.po file. The translation needed quite a number of changes, bug-fixes and fine tuning to be complete.
April 10: Final version uploaded in first post.

Argolance

#8 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
For example in ROX-Filer I had a mix of English and German in the menus and dialog boxes. To help this out, I downloaded the source of ROX-Filer of the official site and edited the .po-File for the German translation. I looked at and tried out everything I could find in the program.
I had the same problem with the French mo file... Though the translation was as seriously done as possible by the previous French translator which seems to be a real "connoisseur"...
First I couldn't find any po files inside the source files :shock:, only mo files inside "messages" directory... Am I silly or what?
So, as a last resort, I first convert the german mo file into po file using this command:

Code: Select all

msgunfmt /path/ROX-Filer.mo > /path/ROX-Filer.po
Then created a pot file from the po file using this command:

msgfilter --keep-header -i /path/ROX-Filer.po -o /path/ROX-Filer.pot awk -e '{}' 
(Thanks Barry!)
And finally, using the same process, I succeed in updating my own French po file...
In the end I collected missing strings in my .po file 'by hand' looking at the program running and the C-source and I got everything I wanted.
I hat to do the same because some chains were missing... But at the end, some are still missing :x ... I think it should be better for all those who want to translate Rox to get the "good" pot file you created...

Could you please post it here?
Thank you a lot.
Cordialement.
Last edited by Argolance on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

ROX-Filer

#9 Post by L18L »

Argolance wrote: ... I think it should be better for all those who want to translate Rox to get the "good" pot file you created...

Could you please post it here?...
In devx there should be a /usr/share/doc/nls/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer.pot

Attached ROX-Filer.pot created by running

xgettext --language=C --keyword=_ --keyword=N_ --output=messages.pot *.c tips ../Templates.ui
in
rox-filer-2.11/ROX-Filer/src

save as
/usr/share/doc/nls/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer.pot

and momanager should use it.
Attachments
ROX-Filer.pot.gz
save as
/usr/share/doc/nls/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer.pot
(71.96 KiB) Downloaded 867 times

Argolance

#10 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
... I unfortunately found this post while I already created my pot file from the German po file using the command given above. And now, all is running as well as possible: No missing chains anymore! :D
Well!
French 2.11 ROX-Filer mo file is now "polished" but I have to subject it to the guys of the French forum before publishing.

Thank you to all of you.

Cordialement.