3g sierra wireless aircard connections

lulrich

#1 Post by lulrich »

hi every one,
I use a serra wireless aircard 881 for my internent connection on windows and am switching to linux, (I appreciate all the hard work you have done) I like linux but my problem is that I cannot get the same speed on linux as windows, in other words I use a t42 IBM and have the hard drive partitioned so I use both windows and linux, when I boot up in windows and hook up I have good speed then I boot up linux and I can get it to connect alright but the speed is extremely slow, I am puzzled, I figure something is just configured wrong but I guess I am too much of a newby,,, I would appreciate it a lot if someone could help me out, If I can´t I´ll have to go back to windows and I would rather not

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

which version of Puppy are you using?

Could be that there is a better driver for your card?

:twisted:

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

Hi

Is your Aircard 881 a USB or PCMCIA/Cardbus card? Is it type U or W or anything - different driver versions

If it's usb, type

Code: Select all

lsusb -v
in console in puppy

If it's PCMCIA, type

Code: Select all

lspci - nn
post results, plus puppy version, thanks

Also, how did you configure it to get it working?

....Using the modem/internet connection wizard or script/commandline from somewhere?
If I can´t I´ll have to go back to windows and I would rather not
Hey! Don't give up so easily or threaten us with that! :wink: :lol:

Aitch :)

lulrich

#4 Post by lulrich »

The aircard is a PMCCIA. And I used the internet by dialup analog or wireless modem.

And I installed the latest puppy version,
thanks again, I appreciate it,

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

And I installed the latest puppy version,

I'm assuming you mean Slacko 531?

It has been updated, though is in testing mode only for the update

I believe the driver [an Option] for that card is in slacko 531, and it should load automatically
Go to menu/setup/internet connection wizard/internet by dialup analogue or wireless modem
enter your sim card providers phone number APN username and password, and importantly, tick 'stupid mode', then connect

Your 3G modem should then dialout, handshake and connect...running at the speed according to aerial signal strength, ....it will run slower if the signal is weak, as it downswitches to 2G speeds from a 3G potential 7.2 or 3.6 Mb/s to only 768kb/s...which may be what you've been experiencing - signal strength is crucial to good speed

lulrich

#6 Post by lulrich »

I am wondering if my problem is that it is switching from 3g to 2g speed, is there anyway to force the 3g only connection, which is what I get on the windows partition, I am almost sure its something simple but guess I am too much of a newby! thanks again,

Aitch

#7 Post by Aitch »

Not that I'm aware of, as it's determined by signal strength, so apart from placing it near a window, or other good signal path, I don't know
I've read that when forced to 3G with a poor signal speed is WORSE than in autoswitching mode, as it is continually resending asking for dropped packets...makes sense

There are various youtube tips for boosting signal strength though, but most are for USB Wifi devices....many newer USB ones have an external aerial socket or 5/8dBi folding aerial for less than £10, or there are high power/20/24dBi 1W/2W Alfa usb ones for about £20

Do you not have an internet via cable or router available, as I only use 3G for my camper or boat?

I found this, if it helps

http://www.ehow.com/how_5326178_better- ... rcard.html

http://www.alternativewireless.com/cell ... oster.html

I've seen cheap/easy boosters done by taping a metal 'Slinky' spring coil toy over, or even a metal coathanger wound round a 3G device to get boost....depends on your tastes... :wink: