Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 02 Aug 2014, 03:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Browser plugin to save bookmarks on separate partition
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
canbyte

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2012, 23:48    Post subject:  

I'm curious greengeek when you said the following
Quote:
different performance of the different browsers, for different functions. ie: the best browser/distro for viewing/saving youtube vids is not the same as the best browser/distro for doing my word processing and googling.

What versions do you use / recommend for these functions?

Also, speaking of bookmarks, my html bookmarks file seems to be too big for Iron to import (about 1mb). I seem to recall having this same problem with other browsers in the past. What browser I should be using?

TIA

2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN

greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 05:17    Post subject:  

canbyte wrote:
speaking of bookmarks, my html bookmarks file seems to be too big for Iron to import (about 1mb). I seem to recall having this same problem with other browsers in the past. What browser I should be using?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience of that issue at all. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will have some suggestion about that. I wonder if it is a size limit, or a limit on the number of entries, or number of folders perhaps?

canbyte wrote:
What versions do you use / recommend for these functions?

OK, please forgive the long post, but here's what I like to use:

Firstly – I prefer to use Puppies in their “Live CD” state as much as possible. By this I mean that I don't like to modify my installations too much. I start with the Live CD and install the puppy as a “frugal”, and try to use it “as is” if at all possible.

Of course there is a big difference between versions of puppies, so some are best at achieving what I want to do offline (word proc etc), whereas others are better with the web stuff.

(I also get emotionally attached to some puppies – even if there is no logical reason..)

Here's what I currently run on my Toshiba laptop:

Puppy 4.3.1 (Barry's very solid, basic pup). I have this one installed because it never lets me down. If some other puppy that I am trialling fails, then I always know I can get back online with this. Also, this puppy loads about 10 seconds faster than the others I have installed. So if I need to boot, check my emails really quickly, then shut down, 4.3.1 is the one I use. The browser is Seamonkey 1.1.18 which allows me to view youtube flash videos and save them from the /tmp folder (which newer browsers don't always allow..). The only downside of 4.3.1 is the lack of mediaplayers, so it wont play saved flash files offline.

Slacko 53 is one of the best configured and most stable distros (particularly with “frisbee” installed to allow the wireless to connect quickly) so I use that for most of my research. I also installed skype and LibreOffice to this one, so its a good, fully featured modern distro. I had to modify the browser (Seamonkey 2.4.1) so that it could save flash files from /tmp.
Also, I was able to get my printer (Brother MFC7820) and my webcam set up on Slacko53 (with invaluable assistance from forum member rcrsn51) so it has become very useful.

Puppy Ubuntu Studio21 is one of my most favourite distros. Straight off the CD without any modification at all it plays youtube vids perfectly and allows saving the flash files from /tmp. Not only that but it has awesome abilities with recording and manipulating audio files and music. The browser (Firefox 3.6.6) has a very odd appearance at the top (lightning bolts flashing away..) but does a great job.

Akita puppy is one I'm emotionally attached to. There's a crispness to the menus and appearance that I like. Also, it came without any browser installed, but had a good downloader dialog that offered a whole host of possible browsers, and a good explanation about each browsers strengths. I chose to install “Flock” which I had not heard of before, and which is designed as a portal into Facebook and other social media sites, RSS feeds etc. For some reason this browser identifies itself as “Sulfur 2.6a1pre”. As a default, it puts the youtube vids into /tmp, allowing easy retrieval and saving, so that's what I like. Apparently Flock is no longer developed, but it's quite interesting. Akita is still developing and I just like to use it for no particular logical reason.

There are also two puppies that I am trialling heavily at the moment:

Mijnpup has a simplicity and crispness that really appeals. It uses the Firefox 4.0b10 browser, but I had to modify it to allow the flash saving to /tmp.
It also has LibreOffice by default so I'm tending to use this for a lot of my day to day work. (The only issue is that the Libreoffice occasionally asks for a JRE to be installed for some functions and I'm not ready to do that as I know that some JRE installs affect various icon/ROX settings. I will do my research first).

Puppy 511 has been updated by Ttuuxxx to have better media file performance, so I am trialling that at the moment. I like it a lot. It has Seamonkey 2.0.11 and saves flash files to /tmp (as you can tell by now that function is important to me...)
I also like the fact that flash files don't activate in the browser automatically – you have to click on the icon. This makes it much faster at surfing webpages – no waiting for excess ads to load.
This puppy is more or less like an updated version of the 4.3.1 I first mentioned, and may well become my default surfing puppy.

Of course, I trial a new puppy more or less every week, so the ability to have common bookmarks would be really nice. Exporting the HTML bookmarks is the most usable method for me at present. (especially since the later firefoxes use a different bookmarking method than the earlier versions)
linuxbear

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 15:58    Post subject:  

If you do not mind backing up to the cloud, I use xmarks. It allows me to grab my bookmarks and install them to any machine I choose to. I use it to keep my bookmarks on different machines, as well as to insure that firefox and chrome have identical bookmarks. Xmarks will even work with internet exploiter, so you can sync bookmarks in Windows, Mac and Linux .....
harii4

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 20:19    Post subject:  

I use an portable browser like opera on an thumbdrive.
just have an desktop link to were the browser is.

canbyte

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 22:32    Post subject:  

Thanks very much for these suggestions.

Greengeek, that was a nice summary (you should submit to wiki or version spec pages) and since I already had a 511 disk, I ran it, loaded Seamonkey (2.0.5) and found that Seamonkey imported all bookmarks successfully. I like Seamonkey although I am missing the wheel click function that allows scrolling without incessant clicking or wheeling. Anybody know how to set that up or is it only available in Windoz or other browsers???

Linuxbear - I browsed some xmark download sites. It looks like one has to install / attach it as an extension to the browsers one is using so I'm confused by your reference to the cloud. Don't think 'cloud' was mentioned on the pages I saw (briefly!) ????

2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN

greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 03:24    Post subject:  

canbyte wrote:
... and since I already had a 511 disk, I ran it, loaded Seamonkey etc...

Just to clarify... the 511 I referred to was not the original 511 as released by Barry. I stumbled across a newer version of 511, which had been remastered by forum member Ttuuxxx to include different media players. (He has a history of grafting newer features into existing puppy releases, and I like the way he makes it work).

I can't find the forum entry that refers to it right at the moment...
pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 08:23    Post subject:  

Quote:
Don't think 'cloud' was mentioned on the pages I saw (briefly!) ????

Where do you think the xmarks will save your booksmarks when you install the plugin to the new comp and you are able to contact with xmarks to your stored booksmarks and you can get your somewhere stored booksmarks to your new comp. They absolutely have to be stored somewhere.

They are surely not stored to the air. Cloud is more probable place.
linuxbear

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 15:52    Post subject:  

canbyte wrote:

I'm confused by your reference to the cloud. Don't think 'cloud' was mentioned on the pages I saw (briefly!) ????

The "cloud" means that you are actually storing the data on a server connected to the internet as opposed to local storage on a hard drive. This gives one the ability to access those bookmarks from any machine which has an internet connection. If you are a bit worried about the service disappearing, you can keep a local backup in an HTML file by using a browser backup tool. The local file is also nice too because you can open it in a word processor and edit your bookmarks if you do not like the tools that come with your browser.

...Glen
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2012, 13:42    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Just to clarify... the 511 I referred to was not the original 511 as released by Barry. I stumbled across a newer version of 511, which had been remastered by forum member Ttuuxxx to include different media players

Found the link to Ttuuxxxs version of 511:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67137
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: