CPU doesn't detect monitor?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
ikaros262

#1 Post by ikaros262 »

CPU works, monitor remains standby, even though it's plugged in to the CPU! Instead of the usual BIOS and Windows start the monitor remains standby, but the CPU works as usual. Why does this happen? And the worst (and absurd) part, my sister blames it on me and my Puppy live CD. How can a live CD damage a monitor? Puppy version is latest Slacko and latest Racy beta. Windows version is XP. Hardware... unkown brand intel celeron powered CPU and CRT monitor.
Last edited by ikaros262 on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

1. Are you saying that when you hit the startup button on the PC, you get no subsequent display image on the monitor?

2. Do you hear a single short beep indicating successful completion of the POST?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

How long has it been since the computer had a good cleaning on the inside? Dust tends to build up inside a computer because of the fan, and electronics doesn't like dust. At least unplug the monitor and plug it back in (checking that the plug and cord look ok). See if that fixes the problem.

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

Windoze...?

unplug then replug the monitor lead....

Try booting into safe mode

.....sounds like it's lost some drivers or something

btw, bad use of technical terms...I think you mean PC where you use cpu

Your title is wrong, too....monitors don't detect anything....they get detected

Is that picky?

Aitch :)

ikaros262

#5 Post by ikaros262 »

@Sylvander
1. Yes, that's what I mean
2. This machine hasn't got any beep

@Flash
I think that, too. We live in a town on a non-paved street and the computer's beside the front door, which is always open.

@Aitch
Sorry, not picky at all.
In my country a PC is the whole set with monitor, CPU, keyboard and mouse.

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

1. "This machine hasn't got any beep"
(a) Which means that the POST isn't completing [provided the internal speaker is functional].
Usual cause when there is no single beep, and no other warning beeps is...
Failure of the initialization of the video card. [Faulty card, or failure to connect]
But could be an inadequate or faulty PSU. [Swap in a known good PSU if in doubt]
Or a faulty CMOS battery. [Keep this in mind, you might want to replace it]
Explanation: Most BIOS's don't generate any warning beeps at failure to initialize the video card.
Fix: Try swapping in a known good video card, or else clean the connections of the existing video card and socket.

(b) To check whether the POST is starting, running and testing...
Startup the PC with ALL RAM removed [none in place].
The 1st RAM test should fail, and warning beeps should be generated and heard. [Means the POST got that far]
[If the internal speaker isn't functioning, the beeps may be generated by the BIOS, but not produced/heard]

(c) The thorough method is:
Have the mobo out of the PC on a non-conducting surface [to eliminate the possibility of shorting to the case].
Disconnect all but essential components [for a bare-bones boot].
i.e. Connect only: mobo, CPU+heatsink+fan, PSU. [No video card or RAM]
Use the on-switch if you think it's OK, otherwise short the pins on the mobo.
The Post should start, run, test, and at the failure of the 1st RAM test, generate warning beeps. [A good result]
[Power-off, and] Connect the video card and switch on; you should still hear the RAM warning.
Now [Power-off, and] connect 1 stick of known good RAM in the 1st RAM slot, and switch on.
There should now be no RAM warning beeps, and the POST should continue on to initialize the video card.
If that succeeds, you should hear the single short beep, and see a display on the monitor [provided the monitor is properly connected].

RJARRRPCGP

#7 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

Video card problem is usually 1 long and 3 short bleeps.

Zero bleeps= I would reseat everything.

No bleeps at all= Reminds me of when I killed my T-bird 1.3 because of crushing the chip when putting the heatsink on.

puponmanyoldlaptops

#8 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

A live Linux CD (Puppy or who's ever), won't wreck a CPU's monitor detection.

First thing I'd do is open the CPU and verify the video card is still seated in its slot.

If the computer now boots you're back in Sis's good graces. If not, my next step would be to assume the resolution was changed to one that the monitor can't handle.

This can involve removing the CMOS battery so all settings default to factory set.

This might be the fix.

Puponmany oldlaptops