Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Sep 2014, 17:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Firefox update on Feb 18,2012 is very bad
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb 2012, 15:52    Post subject:  Firefox update on Feb 18,2012 is very bad
Subject description: I just let the Firefox install the update

I have now downloaded Google Chrom so that I can post this here. When Firefox restarted after the update it straight away locked up. I can't tell you the version because I can't even get to the "about"
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb 2012, 18:25    Post subject:  

Probably 10.0.2. Any messages when opening from a shell? Perhaps a different build? Slacko?
dk60902

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb 2012, 15:38    Post subject:  

I'm running 10.0.2 on a Frugal install of 5.2.8 with no problems.
Dannello

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:53    Post subject:  

I'm running Lupu 5.2.8 and I have similar problem. When I access certain pages (I can't tell if it's Java or Flash that triggers it) the window freezes, CPU drops to zero, and it just hangs for a good 1-1.5 minutes.

I've updated both flash and JRE versions, can't figure out what's doing it...

[edit: I'm running on a full install]
Tman

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb 2012, 13:22    Post subject:  

The latest is not always the greatest. I find Firefox 7.0.1 to be last stable release of Firefox. At least for me, anyways.
Dannello

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb 2012, 13:38    Post subject: How I fixed firefox 10.0.2  

update:

I launched from terminal and got this error:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.10' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)

And from that error, I found this page: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72177&start=45&sid=311c620638519442524c93e658ad4300

Now, I found the error under Retroguy's post, and he recommended

"This time the "fix" seems to be to rename /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so to "libnssutil3.so.old", and symbolically link the file from /usr/lib/firefox//libnssutil3.so back to that /usr/lib/..."

This was not sufficient, I got another error:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so: undefined symbol: PL_ClearArenaPool
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so: undefined symbol: PL_ClearArenaPool

So then the post below recommends:
"I have symlinked all the /usr/lib/firefox folder libs to the /usr/lib and removed all previous versions. Seems to work. And it is also more foolproof for next lib dependency."

So I went through the process of renaming the files in /usr/bin: libnspr4.so.old libnssutil3.so.old libplds4.so.old libssl3.so.old libnss3.so.old libplc4.so.old libsmime3.so.old

Then sym-linking (read: use the middle mouse-button to drag the files and select the "Link: Absolute" option) those files from /usr/lib/firefox/ into /usr/lib/
libnspr4.so
libnssutil3.so
libplds4.so
libssl3.so
libnss3.so
libplc4.so
libsmime3.so

This fixed firefox for me, I hope it helps Moose On The Loose (and others with this problem) too. If it does Moose, please rename thread to (solved)?
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2012, 03:41    Post subject:  

If you are using Lucid Puppy 528:

Firefox versions 7 and 8 had issues with updating in Lucid 528. They would get broken if updated thru Firefox.
They needed to be specially compiled for Lucid 528.
If you get Firefox, from Quickpet->internet pets, it should work.
Firefox, version 9.0.1-2 and newer, seem to be fine to update within Firefox.
Here is Firefox 10, specifically compiled for Lucid 528.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firefox-10-Lucid.pet

I would uninstall, the version of Firefox you have now, and install this one. Updating within Firefox should work OK with this one.

RJARRRPCGP

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012, 22:24    Post subject: Re: How I fixed firefox 10.0.2  

Dannello wrote:
update:

I launched from terminal and got this error:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.10' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/seamonkey/libxul.so)

And from that error, I found this page: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72177&start=45&sid=311c620638519442524c93e658ad4300

Now, I found the error under Retroguy's post, and he recommended

"This time the "fix" seems to be to rename /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so to "libnssutil3.so.old", and symbolically link the file from /usr/lib/firefox//libnssutil3.so back to that /usr/lib/..."

This was not sufficient, I got another error:

So then the post below recommends:
"I have symlinked all the /usr/lib/firefox folder libs to the /usr/lib and removed all previous versions. Seems to work. And it is also more foolproof for next lib dependency."

So I went through the process of renaming the files in /usr/bin: libnspr4.so.old libnssutil3.so.old libplds4.so.old libssl3.so.old libnss3.so.old libplc4.so.old libsmime3.so.old

Then sym-linking (read: use the middle mouse-button to drag the files and select the "Link: Absolute" option) those files from /usr/lib/firefox/ into /usr/lib/
libnspr4.so
libnssutil3.so
libplds4.so
libssl3.so
libnss3.so
libplc4.so
libsmime3.so

This fixed firefox for me, I hope it helps Moose On The Loose (and others with this problem) too. If it does Moose, please rename thread to (solved)?

I just replace all the mentioned files with the ones from the firefox directory in the /usr/lib directory.

Turns out it was related to other libraries that are outdated, even when it appeared to be blaming a library that's current. Sad
RJARRRPCGP

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012, 14:42    Post subject:  

It looks a lot like the last error about an undefined reference to PL_ClearArenaPool is because of libplds4.so.
whoguy

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012, 20:32    Post subject:
Subject description: 2nd post

Hi all,

I just did micko1's suggestion of adding the line

[ -d /usr/lib/firefox ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

to my etc/profile file.

Works a treat and I do not have to worry about always symlinking after every update.

Hope it works for you... cheers
dk60902

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012, 22:21    Post subject:  

After FF updated to 11 from 10, it started locking up. I restored my backup savefile, which has FF10. I'll try micko's suggestion.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012, 13:16    Post subject:  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=612111#612111

If you are using Lucid or 3HD you should use this new Firefox 11 pet. The problem with FF 8, 9, and 10 updates is fixed so it should update properly at least for a while.
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:08    Post subject:  

I agree with the OP.. ff (probably 10.0.2) is rubbish, I compiled from source on Slacko and passed it on like a hot potato. Seamonkey, though very similar source worked well enough, but I am using Iron lately daily.Have not had an issue.

For those that don't know, Iron is a fork of Chromium, the parent of Google-Chrome, all the data mining stuff is apparently removed. It is available on Slacko and Lupu.

If mozilla don't lift their game soon I will be dumping them completely, and I have been a mozilla user since 1.0 (former netscape user Wink ).

natgab

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:15    Post subject:  

This thread clears up my problems!

I had just made a new HDD install last night. I chose FF7 for install and after about 2 hours it tells me about the update. I clicked yes and after that nothing but lock ups and a forced reboots. I blamed the new HDD install, thinking something go messed up compared to my usual USB version.

I just did another clean full install of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8, I am running FF3.6x that comes with the install. I was afraid of even using FF7 Laughing Is the FF10 pet ok for me to install, since I have the 3.6FF?

Thanks

X40 Thinkpad Laptop OS Lxpup 14 LXDE (nieces toy now)
out-foxxed

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:16    Post subject: Firefox anguish  

Quick background: Got bad virus on home XP computer, reinstalled with dual boot XP and puppy using the method outlined by rcrsn51. Been happy ever since.

Was using 525 with Firefox 10.2 and then auto update to 11 happened-> anguish. Firefox hangs as every one mentioned.

I have hence went to 528 update(copied the 3 files and rebooted) and tried firefox 10 (via bigpup download) and then later to firefox 11 (via playdayz) to NO luck. Please note: I did delete any mention of firefox or mozilla that I could see prior to the installs above.

I have also copied the lib*.so files previous mentioned to /usr/lib from /usr/lib/firefox. This helped some but still hangs most of the time.

Now what to try, I like Firefox but this is frustrating as we all have mentioned.
Thanks in advance
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: