?Enhanced Puppy Rescue System?

News, happenings
scsijon

#1 Post by scsijon »

I'd like to propose that someone interested in building a puppy take on the task of creating an "enhanced puppy rescue system".

I'm sure that most of us have come across, or at times needed the use of, a linux rescue system. Usually it is the equivalent of starting a puppy cd as puppy pfix=ram,nox; and gets you to a prompt where you can usually only do a few basic tests and fixes before rebooting.

My proposal is that we should extend this by:

1/Only allowing the loading a minimum generic driverset by default with the results listed as to what has happened as well as in a text file for later use. Have a probe ocurr automatically that tells you what else is in your system and could have drivers loaded. Have an easy to use manual loading process (with clear instruction and explanation pages) for a minimum generic set for the others, with the ability to load them individually (with or without additional settings) or complete as a block.

2/An automatic package checking tool that is tied into gtkhash be available to perform some basic level of check, covering both system and user installed pet packages, against corruption with a report.txt type output as well as a screen output. This may need an extra two field file to hold these results, although after some thought, I think that I believe and sugest that the existing individual package lists have this response added, with the field created and attached as part of the install process. Part of the uninstall process would then also gtkhash the removed material and the install and uninstall results compaired with a warning splash screen displayed if thay don't agree.

3/Have a simple X system available to start by command, a xwin is. It would be configured with fixed settings, something like using vesa at 1024x768and16bits so no external driver or such is called. This would have it's own minimal (tiny) window-manager/desktop with a menu system primarily only containing enhanced inspection tools necessary for problem repairs and fixes, plus a basic browser and downloader so new copies of installed pets can be downloaded to overwrite corrupted ones.

I'm not sure if anything else would be required, as I think this is more than enough "enhanced", but no doubt others will have a few additional sugestions.

I wonder for 1/ and 2/ above, if we could do something like use <crtl><alt><F2> for help pages, <crtl><alt><F3> for the output results, leaving <crtl><alt><F1> for commands?

This is not proposed to be a "Working Puppy", but a special build for a set purpose. No install, no 'userapps', just fix!

And lastly, it should be small, I'd like to see it fit on a credit card disk, so it could be given away at shows and the like.

Anyway those are my thoughts....

Any takers?

Is it needed?

What should be included?

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

Oh, and if anyone is wondering why not me.

I'm working towards qtpuppy, everything possible uses qt4. The idea in the back of my mind is to have a hardware base independant puppy.

You would have base, that is hardware specific.

And you would have your qtpuppy sfs, that contains all your apps, and back of house utilities.

And you would have a Development sfs, that allows you to extend and design and build.

And I think that is enough for me!

regards
scsijon

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

great idea, I'm still working out how to test for corrupted 2fs files 8)

Monsie

#4 Post by Monsie »

Hi scsijon,

I like your idea of a package checking tool. For instance, it might be useful in scenarios when one is updating and/or testing new browsers, then decides to un-install for whatever reason. In this case, it seems that there can sometimes be broken or missing symlinks within the original browser package --apparently a result of the install/un-install process... so this is something that I would like to see addressed by such a tool.

That said, have you seen this thread? You might want to PM forum member DPUP5520 about his pup derivative. It sounds like he is receptive to new ideas and features... maybe some of what you propose could jive with what he has done already.

Cheers,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

scsijon

#5 Post by scsijon »

darkcity wrote:great idea, I'm still working out how to test for corrupted 2fs files 8)
have a look on either barry's blog or his current?last bugs thread, he showed how to fsck them.