How to tag all your audio files in the fastest possible way

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#21 Post by Flash »

Yes, the 8 kbps is wrong. The file was encoded with 64 kbps Variable Bit Rate. I guess ffmpeg doesn't know Variable Bit Rate.

As you can see in the first screenshot, you are right, it appears that Pmusic did tag the files. The numbering is still wrong because I haven't yet redone the tags with the new func_id3tagger.

In the second screenshot I've retagged the files after replacing func_id3tagger with the new one. As you can see, the numbers are now correct. Good work, and fast! :D

One thing that may cause problems in some cases is that there are no leading zeros. Some mp3 players or other apps may place 1 after 10. If you do add leading zeros, either go with three of them (0001, 0002, etc.) or perhaps a more sophisticated way would be to see how many files are to be tagged in the directory and adjust the number of leading zeroes to fit. But it looks like it will work the way it is.

I loaded the newly retagged book into one of my mp3 players and fired it up. As far as I could see, the stupid thing didn't use the tags. :x Where the heck is it getting the info it displays? I have several other, different, mp3 players I'll be trying out to see if they're the same way.

Edit: the second mp3 player I tried shows the first track as 01 - 79, Unknown artist, Unknown album, even though ffmpeg shows the metadata is different. What gives? :?
Attachments
ffmpeg reads mp3 file tags.jpg
(115.04 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
Retag with new mp3tagger file.png
(48.92 KiB) Downloaded 461 times

zigbert

#22 Post by zigbert »

Flash
The attached tagger now supports id3 version 2.3, which is the most common id3 'standard'. I have checked here, and it works with id3info.

When it comes to leading zeros, I won't do anything before you encounter any trouble.... :)

Sigmund
Attachments
func_id3tagger.gz
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#23 Post by Flash »

That did it! I replaced the old func_id3tagger in usr/local/Pmusic with the new one, tagged the mp3 files in an audio book directory the same way I did it a few posts above, and tried the newly tagged audio book in two different mp3 players from different manufacturers. The players both now show the artist and name of the book (as the album) while the file is playing. One of the mp3 players shows the track as 1 - 79 while the other shows it as 01 - 79. It might be that the second one is showing the file number rather than the metadata, who knows?

I won't know for sure until I've tagged several audio books and listened to them in different mp3 players, but it appears that for my purposes Pmusic's tagger works perfectly. :D.

I noticed that while it is tagging a bunch of mp3 files in a directory, Pmusic seems to open and close a console window for each file it tags. I seem to remember another Puppy app which did that at first, and a fix speeded it up noticeably. I can't remember what the app was. I think it had to do with ripping CDs and converting them to mp3.

zigbert

#24 Post by zigbert »

The reason for Pmusic masstagger is slow, is because ffmpeg (afaik) doesn't support tagging of existing file. - Only for the new output file. Earlier, when I tested this, it took ages waiting for ffmpeg to finish building new files with given meta-tags. Now, I let ffmpeg use the '-acodec copy' parameter which simply gives a straight copy (like cp) which is much faster compared to build a new stream.

Compared to tagging the existing file it will sure be slower. But I don't see the big deal. The only feature I find troublesome (with slower tag-reading) is the auto-loading of metatags when browsing/searching. This is now turned off by default.

On the other hand, Pmusic now supports tagging of more file-formats.

Sigmund

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#25 Post by Flash »

zigbert wrote:Flash
The attached tagger now supports id3 version 2.3, which is the most common id3 'standard'. I have checked here, and it works with id3info.

When it comes to leading zeros, I won't do anything before you encounter any trouble.... :)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 920#612920
Sigmund
Trouble is here. :(
I bought a 4 GB SanDisk Sansa clip zip mp3 player. It is the first mp3 player (of at least 5 different kinds) I've tried that doesn't seem to play mp3 files in an audio book in the order they loaded. That's the good news. For the bad news, it apparently reads the id3 tags to determine the play order. It starts with number 10, then 20, then 100, then 200, etc. Oddly, it does play books with fewer than 100 files in the right order. I'm still investigating. Next I plan to load a book which has no id3 tags and see what the player does with that. :lol:

Pelo

But the second time, coquillo freezed

#26 Post by Pelo »

I tried coquillo once, with the new puppies (Vivid 6.5)
Succes, with a picture from my computer. :) j'ai vu 'la vie en rose'
But the second time, coquillo freezed :?
What is a pity, is that nobody helps you.
Use pmusic and you are sure to get answers. What i am going to do..

Idiot users, they want to use applications included in the distro.
Coquillo in french means eggshell.. or bug (error)