Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 26 Jul 2014, 05:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Magicolor MC2300w install in Slacko 53 [SOLVED]
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar 2012, 04:29    Post subject:  Magicolor MC2300w install in Slacko 53 [SOLVED]
Subject description: Jobs proceed to "completed" status but nothing prints out

I think I have correctly installed my printer via Cups, and print jobs do proceed through to the “completed jobs” stage, but nothing prints out.

I have a Magicolor 2300w printer and am trying to connect it to my Toshiba TE2100 laptop running Slacko5.3. I have previously installed a Brother MFC7820 successfully on this system using the method described by rcrsn51 on another post.

I obtained the MC2300w driver from the reference toward the bottom of this page:
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

I extracted the file and one of the items was a folder containing a PPD for this printer. When I plug the usb cable into the printer I can see via dmesg that it is detected. I ran cups (1.4.6) and in the administration tab I tried to install a new printer. Cups appeared to detect the printer correctly and asked me for a PPD, so I browsed to the extracted PPD. Everything seems good, and I am able to click on “Print test page” and see that a job begins, and seems to complete successfully. However no page prints out.

If I disconnect the usb cable the job hangs for a while, and then completes after I reconnect the cable, which suggests to me that the job is actually going to the correct port, but possibly the printer is just accepting and ignoring it? When I print from Windows the green ready light on the printer flashes as the data is being received, but this is not happening when trying to print from Slacko

I do not know how to narrow down the problem. The driver may not be perfect as this printer is supposed to be for Windows users only, but the linux driver download page seems to suggest that at least 4 of the downloaders were happy with it.

Any suggestions welcome.
Slacko 2300w print jobs complete but didnt printSMALL.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   62.81 KB
 Viewed   377 Time(s)

Slacko 2300w print jobs complete but didnt printSMALL.jpg

Last edited by greengeek on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 14:25; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar 2012, 08:58    Post subject:  

Quote:
I extracted the file and one of the items was a folder containing a PPD for this printer. When I plug the usb cable into the printer I can see via dmesg that it is detected. I ran cups (1.4.6) and in the administration tab I tried to install a new printer. Cups appeared to detect the printer correctly and asked me for a PPD, so I browsed to the extracted PPD.

It is a Puppy myth that you can install a printer just from its PPD file. If this were true, why would the author put all that extra stuff in his driver package? Wink

A PPD is just a text configuration file. I have attached a PET containing everything in the Minolta m2300w RPM. Install it, delete your current printer from CUPS and add the printer again. The CUPS Make/Model lists should now show your printer.
minolta_m2300w-0.51.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  minolta_m2300w-0.51.pet 
Filesize  575.09 KB 
Downloaded  235 Time(s) 
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar 2012, 14:42    Post subject:  

*** PERFECT ***

Thank you for your invaluable help once again! What a joy to be able to print in colour from Puppy.

(I dare not tell you how many times I have copied that PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model in a million different Puppies without success before now...)

Supplementary questions:

1) When I followed your instructions to load the Brother 7820 it required a deb package, yet this Magicolor required an rpm package. I am totally confused about how I should identify a suitable source for an installer package for any future printer I need to connect. Should I stick only to printers I have seen successfully connected in the Puppy forums?

2) I'm keen to make a donation to the developer of the M2300w package. As far as I can tell that is Rick Richardson at
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
Do you think the payment link on that page is the appropriate place given the particular rpm package you used to make the pet?

Thanks!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar 2012, 15:43    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
*** PERFECT ***

Excellent.
Quote:
(I dare not tell you how many times I have copied that PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model in a million different Puppies without success before now...)

Unfortunately, BK's help screen for CUPS suggests that a PPD file is sufficient to get a printer working. But that's only true in a very few cases.

Quote:
When I followed your instructions to load the Brother 7820 it required a deb package, yet this Magicolor required an rpm package. I am totally confused about how I should identify a suitable source for an installer package for any future printer I need to connect.

This depends of the package. In the case of your Magicolor RPM, you could have just copied the extracted contents into your filesystem and it would have worked fine. That's exactly what's in my PET.

With Brother printers, you need to use my "debbi" script. That's because the Debian install packages also have a post-install script that is essential to making the printer work. If you just click on the DEB's, they are extracted into your filesystem, but the post-install script is not run.

The same is true for Canon printers. Just clicking on the DEB's from the Canon download site is not sufficient because some additional manipulation is required. That's another Puppy myth - that you can install any Debian package just by clicking on it.

Quote:
Should I stick only to printers I have seen successfully connected in the Puppy forums?

Yes.

Quote:
I'm keen to make a donation to the developer of the M2300w package. As far as I can tell that is Rick Richardson at http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ Do you think the payment link on that page is the appropriate place given the particular rpm package you used to make the pet?

Rick is not the author of the m2300w driver. But he would certainly appreciate a donation. I have done so myself via PayPal. My foo2xxx package is built from his drivers.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: