POLL: How old are you?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Bernie_by_the_Sea

#101 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Age 83. I retired in 1975 and I had both time and money to spend on toys. My first home computer was an Interact 16K I bought in 1979, http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... =1004&st=1, followed by a C64, Coleco Adam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Adam , Timex 1000, TI-99/4A and an IBMPC XT, all before 1984. Half of these cost over $500 ($1000 in today's dollars), had only 16Kb RAM and used a TV set for a monitor. I wrote (and sold) programs for all of them until the late-80's. Besides BASIC, I used 8080 and 6510 assembler and wrote subroutines in machine language.

I've played with Linux (mostly Debian and its variants) on and off since 2004. Puppy is simple after years of trying to get tape cassettes to load, having to assemble my own serial port board from a box of parts, and using a 300-baud acoustic modem and a terminal to communicate with bulletin boards -- and that’s just the hardware side -- with early software you sometimes had to write to the screen pixel-by-pixel just to get alphanumeric characters and you got “music

Laie

#102 Post by Laie »

Age 51,
Sinclair QL was my first one.

tubeguy

#103 Post by tubeguy »

I thought I responded to this one, but I guess my 46 year old brain is throwing errors. Back in my 20's I never would have guessed I'd still be alive today, but I guess I got lucky. I honestly thought I would die in a spectacular car crash or drug overdose. Go figure. Now it's simple, clean living, early to bed, early to rise, very little drama. I quite like this life I have now.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

tubeguy

Re: Well, I'm surprised

#104 Post by tubeguy »

SilverPuppy wrote:Wow, I thought that more people here were like me, young and stupid. :shock: I'm not sure which is more surprising, the general age of the group, or that WhoDo isn't 25 like me! Just an impression I got.

How old is Barry?
Barry is about 61.

http://bkhome.org/bkauler/
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

GustavoYz

#105 Post by GustavoYz »

I'm surprised to see that most puppy's users are between 51-60, according this poll...
Well, at least puppy users who participate in polls. :lol:

gnz11

not really

#106 Post by gnz11 »

from the age range of the poll what i see are folks that wanted to try something different.

most have been around windows for many years and some of the pre-windows computing.

so they weren't necc worried about having to get their hands dirty.

i'm 46. one of the reasons i came to puppy was the xp drive i had died.

i had a w2k disk and was able to use it for a year before i saw linux as an alternative.

i came to linux at the time that livecd were just getting started.
i had disks for about 4 distros, some install required. the mian issue i had with all were that none liked my modem.
i finally came across puppy- 215ce and it found my modem right off.

the nice part with puppy from a livecd was that i could still use all the daata on my win box but not have to do all the housekeeping of windows.
this freed up over half of the time i was spending. and on dailup that waas a huge improvement.

the main reason i have stayed with puppy is that i can use it on almost any hardware,in any location.
with one cd i can start up a whole table of computers, and they are all functional.
for less than 200m i get a full os. and few side issues.
i think that i'm like many of the puppy users, i want an OS that works and doesn't tell me what to do.

i can make my pup as hard or difficult as i care to.

Monsie

POLL: How old are you?

#107 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I am the same age as Bill Gates. Well, apparently I am 6 days older... and as his "senior" I haven't yet had the opportunity to offer him any advice. :wink:

Currently, I am having coffee from my favorite mug that I've had for over 30 years... it has my name on it along with a picture of a 1955 Rolls Royce.

Cheers,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

izezi

#108 Post by izezi »

Today is my birthday. I'm 55 years old today! :)

My first experience with a computer was an Apple with a real floppy disk that I taught myself to use in my spare time at work.

I was about 30 at the time and everybody else that worked there were college students who all had prior experience using computers. I wasn't about to let them know I had never touched one in my life and taught myself how to do all sorts of cool things, like access their personal files. :)

When they finally upgraded to a new one I was the only one who knew how to boot it up because you had to flip the floppy during boot. :P

Colonel Panic

#109 Post by Colonel Panic »

izezi wrote:Today is my birthday. I'm 55 years old today! :)

My first experience with a computer was an Apple with a real floppy disk that I taught myself to use in my spare time at work.

I was about 30 at the time and everybody else that worked there were college students who all had prior experience using computers. I wasn't about to let them know I had never touched one in my life and taught myself how to do all sorts of cool things, like access their personal files. :)

When they finally upgraded to a new one I was the only one who knew how to boot it up because you had to flip the floppy during boot. :P
Many happy returns!
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

pemasu

#110 Post by pemasu »

I am old enough...to have used 386 cpu diskless comp in job in 1992. The comps (512 kb RAM !) in my workplace booted dos 5.0 image from novell netware 3.1.2. The server was massive 486 50 Mhz with 100 mb hdd. It worked fine. Data was backed up to DAT on another hdd included workstation nightly. The server was updated to 90 Mhz pentium with 1 Gb hdd at some time. We left dos at 2000 and changed to use win4 server. I created first linux mail server to that retired 90 Mz Pentium with 32 Mb ram. I had Red Hat 6.0 with roxen web server and IMHO webmail plugin. It worked flawlessly. There was no X in server...of course.

The comps were Grid and Tandy by name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRiD_Systems_Corporation

And my first personal office computer looked something like this: http://lazerzap.com/images/5000.jpg
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

izezi

#111 Post by izezi »

pemasu wrote: The comps were Grid and Tandy by name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRiD_Systems_Corporation

And my first personal working computer looked something like this: http://lazerzap.com/images/5000.jpg
I have a Commodore 64C somebody gave me complete with the Learning To Program In Basic 2.0 System Guide I'd love to learn to use.

I have the power cord but am missing the cord to connect to the TV. The few times I've tried using it I've had to make due with the cord from a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) to connect to the back of the TV through an old cable TV filter and it doesn't work too great like that. :(

steve_s

#112 Post by steve_s »

Martial arts to keep me goin' on 26, hence the avatar. 8)

jockjunior

#113 Post by jockjunior »

62 tomorrow 21st March

Grandaughter (14) says I do her head in. Grandson ( 8 ) thinks I need help

linuxbear

#114 Post by linuxbear »

I'm 58 and still a software professional working in gaming. I suppose if'in I gotta work, I may as well enjoy it too :-)

davec51

Old, old

#115 Post by davec51 »

I'm 78, and I feel it. I figure I'm about eight years behind in knowing about computers, smartphones, etc., and the gap is increasing. But Puppy is still comfortable.

DipStick

#116 Post by DipStick »

23...and rather newish to linux/puppy
...i also fine it rather strange for the age list....but its nice to see the..."people of age" not sitting on the porch but "takin the puppy out for a walk" :D

Lazy JW

#117 Post by Lazy JW »

54 and counting. New to computers ingeneral, but Puppy is more fun than the rest.
Joe

Minimatter

#118 Post by Minimatter »

Until some time in the 1990's, my computer was a two floppy IBM XT. I worked hard to get as much on a 360K disk as I could: DOS, a good text editor, Vernon Buerg's LIST, Turbo Pascal for programming. To make it more responsive, you could put command.com in the high memory area and copy other parts into a ramdisk. 640K was enough memory for that. Now it's a flash drive with puppy. Maybe the principle is the same.

Eyes-Only

#119 Post by Eyes-Only »

53 and getting ready to stop counting pretty soon.

I was always the one who said he'd have a computer in his house "over my dead body!" About 26 years ago I must've died because I purchased an Apple IIe used for correspondence purposes - it was far easier to use than a typewriter. LOL! After several years that died out and nobody locally could figure out how to fix it. My wife bought me a 100mhz pentium I computer, they had just come out, with 16megs of RAM and a 1gig drive... My "guru" installed an OS upon it which later became known as "Windows 95" ( he was an alpha/beta-tester for Redmond ).

My last version of Windows was 98se but at that time I had been running something named "AstonShell" over the top of it for several years along with mostly open source software. A project that I worked for was upgrading its systems to Cairo graphics - 98se lacked it - and it was either drop out of the project, upgrade to XP, or switch to Linux. Seeing that my wallet was empty the latter choice was more than appealling.

The rest is basically history, as they say.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

sunilrathaur

#120 Post by sunilrathaur »

feel like dino, feed like dino
afraid of rex at home