Legacy OS 4 Mini Released

News, happenings
john biles

Legacy OS 4 Mini Released

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Legacy OS Users,
Today sees the release of Legacy OS 4 Mini an Update / Replacement for TEENpup 2010 Mini Beta. Those updating from TEENpup 2010 Mini Beta will need to save any important documents, music etc to an external Hard Drive, USB stick etc as a full reinstall is required to update to this new version, sorry!
This release sees TEENpup 2010 Mini Beta rebranded to Legacy OS 4 Mini. Users now have a choice between Legacy OS 2 (Puppy Series 2 based) and Legacy OS 4 Mini (Puppy Series 4 based) depending on Hardware / Requirements.

New to Legacy OS what’s with the name? Legacy OS as the name suggests is a Linux Distribution designed to run on obsolete Legacy Hardware. A User should be able to bring back to life a PC or Laptop running a Pentium III or 4 Processor. This release of Legacy OS is targeted at users running a minimum of the following: Pentium III 800Mhz Processor with 256Mb’s of Ram with a minimum of 4GB for the Hard Drive. Those with the last generation of Pentium 4 Processors with 1GB of Ram and a 40GB plus size Hard Drive will enjoy applications that open fast and run fast.

Another important aspect of Legacy OS is the way it looks. Just because you're using legacy Hardware doesn't mean it needs to look like it. Very few Users want to use something that looks like Windows 95. Legacy OS 4 Mini brings to a user a modern up to date Desktop with a Quick Launch Application / Information Sidebar unique to Legacy OS.

With this release come a large number of improvements which will provide the average User with a better overall experience. Legacy OS 4 Mini now includes Firefox and Opera by default. To make your online experience as enjoyable as possible, Adobe Flashplayer 11, Java 1.6.0_30 and a number of other Plugins and Codecs are included ready to go. No need to download anything once the install is completed. For Chat Skype and Pidgin are included. Transmission and Ktorrent are included for file sharing. Osmo and Kontact for managing Appointments, Birthdays, Phone Numbers and more. Amarok and Javatunes should be able to manage anyone’s Music Collection. Photo collections will be easily managed by Digikam. From playing CD’s to ripping them to MP3 it’s all included. Ebooks are covered by FBreader, Pdf’s by Foxit and Kpdf. Got a need to create some Graphics / Drawing apps like Qcad, Kivio, Kolourpaint, Inkscape, Dia, JFdraw, Kiconedit have you covered. Want to watch Movies on your PC / Laptop, Legacy OS 4 Mini comes with a large range of Multimedia Players and Codecs by default.

I encourage a user to spent time with this release, because only with time will a user discover how usable Legacy OS 4 Mini can be.

Download Now... Enjoy

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 4760.shtml

As a backup you can also download from here, but please try and grab the iso from Softpedia first!
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/LegacyOS/
User=puppy Password=linux

See Sneekylinux Video Review Here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9v7kbcRxnM
Attachments
Desktop3-tn.jpg
(107.59 KiB) Downloaded 22187 times
Desktop2-tn.jpg
(77.91 KiB) Downloaded 22199 times
Desktop-tn.jpg
(111.42 KiB) Downloaded 22245 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

rokytnji

#2 Post by rokytnji »

but please try and grab the iso from Softpedia first!
Softpedia shows the md5sum as

Code: Select all

a6de23e82574dc4477854095f9a88d4b  Legacy-OS-2.iso
http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 54760.html

For Download of Legasy 4 mini iso, I thought you would like to know. 8)

James C

#3 Post by James C »

rokytnji wrote:
but please try and grab the iso from Softpedia first!
Softpedia shows the md5sum as

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 54760.html

For Download of Legasy 4 mini iso, I thought you would like to know. 8)
For what it's worth, on my first download from Softpedia the md5 did not match. Trying a redownload.

James C

#4 Post by James C »

Never got a matching md5 but download appears to be good. Working well running live pfix=ram.

rokytnji

#5 Post by rokytnji »

bfcbf1dd9465744cd975a392bc8eb9dd  Legacy-OS-4-Mini.iso
@JamesC

Does yours match mine? :D
Before, (I burn a cd)

James C

#6 Post by James C »

rokytnji wrote:

@JamesC

Before, (I burn a cd)
Should be good to go..... :)
Attachments
matched.JPG
(24.94 KiB) Downloaded 21856 times

russoodle

#7 Post by russoodle »

rokytnji wrote:

@JamesC

Before, (I burn a cd)
Hi guys,

That should be the correct md5sum, it matches on meownplanet server :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

James C

#8 Post by James C »

russoodle wrote:
rokytnji wrote:

@JamesC

Before, (I burn a cd)
Hi guys,

That should be the correct md5sum, it matches on meownplanet server :)
Good to know.

Wonder where Softpedia came up with the wrong md5?

russoodle

#9 Post by russoodle »

Don't know, James C....AFAIK, they downloaded it from my server.....weird scenes inside someone's goldmine if it's a working iso with a different md5sum.. :?
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

russoodle

Derrrrr....

#10 Post by russoodle »

Hey guys....ummm....let's take another look at the iso name for the above-quoted md5sum, eh? Sort of went right past us all, didn't it?

Anyone else feel like a dill? :lol:

rokytnji

#11 Post by rokytnji »

Anyone else feel like a dill?
Though tired from troubleshooting and repairing scooters for the past 2 weeks. I noticed thew old md5sum right off the bat at softpedia. It was why I posted in the 1st place figuring James C did not know that they had the older Legacy 2 md5sum in place for the Legacy 4 download.

I still have some more outdoor work to do today on scooters before I dive into this distro and post back with the results.

john biles

#12 Post by john biles »

I've contacted Softpedia and given them the correct md5sum.

rokytnji

#13 Post by rokytnji »

Well, I finally got finished with bikes. Now I am testing Legacy Os 4 mini and I aint having much luck with it on my Acer Aspire One zg5 or Asus EEEPC 900 =with dual 4gig/16gig SSD drives.

I made a pendrive of Legacy 4 with unetbootin OK. On the Acer. I have a Atheros chip that the madwifi pet in install additional wireless drivers under menu>network supports. I install the pet file and check Puppy Package Manager to see if it installs OK. I make a personal save 256MB ext2 file on the usb and name it acer.

acer.personal save.sfs loads on reboot. I can see my wireless router in Pwireless-0.8.4 OK. I tell it to connect. It asks for my wpa password. Type it in. No connection shows after dhcpd even though dhcpd gives me a IP address .

My eth0 wired connection is giving me problems also. It won't even see the router on test eth0. The right driver is loaded.
Description: Realtek Semiconductor Co.LTD, RTL8101E PCI Fast Ethernet controller
Vendor:10ec Device 8136 Kernel Module: r8169
No wpa needed either. I have better luck with Puppeee 4.4 on these 2 units via usb than I have had Legacy OS4 as far as just working out for me with wireless and wired interface. So I am familiar using both Pwireless and Dougals Network wizard and Barrys simple network wizard also (in Racy 5.2.2 on my dual core Acer Aspire 5534)

On my Asus EEEPC. It would not even offer to make me a save file on shutdown like the Acer did. So I used the acer save file since it had the madwifi driver pet installed already. Funny thing is. It would not get past wpa connection either though it saw my Networks also. I'd get could not connect via wpa. Sheesh. Embarassed

Used the old network setup wizard even. Md5sum checks OK also.

Yeah, and I have read the read me's also in the extra drivers file. I am too tired to deal with this much more later on even. I think I will give up on Legacy OS4 for now. I think the kernel is just too old for what I have I guess. My IBM A22M and IBM T23 Laptops that run wireless g pcmcia cards with atheros and Realtek (I think) chips run fine in AntiX and Puppy with Later kernels than what comes with Legacy OS4.

All the gear I have Linux already installed, (AntiX on some, Puppy on others), so a usb test was all I could handle for now.

Just posting this info for you off my dual core Desktop (which is on eth0 by the way, so I know it is working). Pendrive works OK on eth0 (go figure) on this later rig. My wireless is fine also with other Linux kernels/distros. I am not disparaging anything since I am not running a typical Hardrive install of Legacy OS 4 and I know you mentioned that in the read me's. So don't take my post wrong I hope.

Good night and Happy Trails, Rok

P.S. I posted this in another thread also for info

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 607#613607

natgab

#14 Post by natgab »

rokytnji wrote:

@JamesC

Before, (I burn a cd)
---You burned a CD rokytnji? Aren't your Asus laptops like my Thinkpad X40 w/o a CD drive?

Going by the two Thinkpads you have, I don't know if I will be able to try Legacy 4 either. But I do have a spare Flash drive, I will see if by chance my hardware works in Legacy 4 anyway. I like the side bar with the apps buttons.
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

umair

#15 Post by umair »

Dear John:
Really Nice to Know about the release of Legacy OS 4. I was waiting for this as I m using Teen pup mini beta since last year, what a wonderful OS (personally like teen pup mini beta more thn Legacy OS 2 hehehe :-) ). Once again Congr8s for the efforts.
Downloading the ISO now ;) will post the results soon.
Regards
UMAIR

jamalexa

Finally, Legacy OS 4 Mini!

#16 Post by jamalexa »

Hello, I'm running OS 4 Mini on my Dual Core ThinkPad Z61 laptop. So far everything runs great. Wireless detected and runs well. Question, When firefox and Opera wants to upgrade to version 11 do I run the web update or is there another way to upgrade the browsers?

Colonel Panic

#17 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi John,

Downloaded this yesterday and am using it now. It's good to be able to use up to date browsers such as Seamonkey 2.8 on a 4.2 series Puppy. Thanks for a good job of work.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

john biles

#18 Post by john biles »

Hello jamalexa,
In Firefox if you click "Help" to check the version installed, Firefox will update itself to firefox 11 easy! Opera is another story, I had trouble with later versions so a user would have to manually install a later version of Opera themselves.

umair

#19 Post by umair »

Hello Every One:
Downloaded Legacy OS-4 yesturday, again very impressive work done by John. Congr8s to U.
Want to discuss one issue, karamba side bar is not starting from the menu, also when I typed "karamba" in terminal it shows the following error:
(I m posting a screenshot, tried on 02 different systems but the result is same).
Any Idea ????????

umair

#20 Post by umair »

umair wrote:Hello Every One:
Downloaded Legacy OS-4 yesturday, again very impressive work done by John. Congr8s to U.
Want to discuss one issue, karamba side bar is not starting from the menu, also when I typed "karamba" in terminal it shows the following error:
(I m posting a screenshot, tried on 02 different systems but the result is same).
Any Idea ????????
The issue has been solved.
I checked the md5sum, which not matched though iso was not downloaded correctly. So downloaded again from the softpedia. checked the md5sum. This time, md5sum matched :). Now everything is working fine alongwith karamba. :)
Hope this will helps someone.
Regards
UMAIR